#16 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted November 29, 2014 - 07:15 PM

I could not do that. My ocd would kill me!!

Yea, me too. I tape every joint. There was only one joint I didn't tape today in the closet and that is cause drywall couldn't be put in up against other wall. I will seal that with a piece of 3/4 x2 trim board. 

Finished closet today, took me a bit to get motivated as my back was still hurting, but finally got it done. Taking tomorrow off.  :dancingbanana:

I pulled a Daniel.... kind of,  when his cow smash his hand. I was carrying out a couple storage containers for wifey, swung open wooden privacy gate, as I walked through it came back and the latch smash the back side of my hand between it and containers. I had almost a golf ball lump on top of my hand. it has finally gone down some, but it will be sore for a couple days, even hurts down in my wrist.

• olcowhand, Alc and KennyP have said thanks

#17 Bill 76 OFFLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,639 Thanks
  • 1,054 posts

Posted November 29, 2014 - 07:59 PM

I take it none of you guys have ever tryed the dry mix it yourself compond.Wow talk about self abuse,tryed it once never again,tossed the bag in the garbage.

• Little Irish Men said thank you

#18 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted November 29, 2014 - 09:02 PM

Don't use the new stuff that's got the lime green lid & is ultra light in weight. It goes on good, sands good but just don't touch it when your done. The stuff will dent if you just look at it. I just finished a big kitchen remodel & put this stuff on the ceiling. A few times my crown would slide across the ceiling it looked like I took an awl & gouged it. When I got done with the trim I had to go back & fill them. I tried to get the HO to paint the ceiling before I done the crown. I don't know if that would have been better or not.

03ec9f17-7855-4421-87ef-31b7e3647b9f_400

Edited by Sawdust, November 29, 2014 - 09:04 PM.

• Alc said thank you

#19 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted November 29, 2014 - 09:10 PM

Jim, i always get the dark green lid all purpose, this bucket was mixed thin I guess. I bought the blue lid lightweight one time, I used a little bit and gave it to a friend doing his basement, I did not like it at all. 

• Sawdust said thank you

#20 fogler12538 OFFLINE  

fogler12538
  • Member No: 59557
  • 254 Thanks
  • 158 posts

Posted November 30, 2014 - 05:25 PM

I always use black lid and if I'm in a hurry I add a little water and durabond 45
  • TAHOE said thank you

#21 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted December 02, 2014 - 08:35 AM

Second coated last night. Said I was not going to stop until I ran out of walls or mud. Thankfully I ran out of mud, I was beat and this morning my middle back is in knots again. Hurts to breath deep or cough, I pulled something good.

Middle age, I feel ike I am 90. My golden years are going to be more like rusty metal lying by the barn years.

Got about 2/3's done, all closet and half of the bedroom. Planned to pickup a new bucket tonight on my way home and finish, then remembered I have to take my daugther to orthodontist appnmt at 4:30, pretty much ruins my evening. Oh well, will be there on weds.

• olcowhand, KennyP, Sawdust and 1 other said thanks

#22 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted December 04, 2014 - 10:04 AM

Bought a new bucket of mud, oh my goodness, this one is thinner than the first. If I put it on my knife, it would flatten out like pudding. I had more on my shoes, clothes, and floor last night than I had on the walls. I will be sending an email to the compnay letting them know.

I will have tons of sanding, between my back hurting and the thin mud, I have lost my technique and made a mess :rolling: Oh well, just like Bondo, throw it on thick, sand it smooth :thumbs:

hope to sand and maybe 3rd coat skim tonight and be painting by this weekend :rocker2:

Here are a few pics of the room, hard to get broad pics when it's a smaller room.

drews room mud.jpg

drews room mud 3.jpg

Closet

drews room mud 4.jpg

Entrance from hall/old hall closet.

drews room mud 1.jpg

• EricR and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#23 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,228 Thanks
  • 5,070 posts

Posted December 04, 2014 - 11:20 AM

looks real good

• TAHOE said thank you

#24 Little Irish Men OFFLINE  

Little Irish Men
  • Member No: 61934
  • 661 Thanks
  • 385 posts

Posted December 04, 2014 - 02:56 PM

That's the way to hang it ,by standing it up . Then there's no butt joints, them butt joint will really make you hate taping . and after the taping comes the painting ... NO WAY  I am out. Time to go to the bar call me when it's done.

• TAHOE said thank you

#25 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted December 04, 2014 - 03:35 PM

That's the way to hang it ,by standing it up . Then there's no butt joints, them butt joint will really make you hate taping . and after the taping comes the painting ... NO WAY  I am out. Time to go to the bar call me when it's done.

Oh I have a few of them butts joints. There is some old drywall up against new from repair and I can tell you, it may take a 4th or 5 th coat to get them feathered out to my liking

Painting isn't bad, no trim up yet so it won't take too long just trimming out walls to ceiling.

• Sawdust said thank you

#26 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted December 04, 2014 - 10:15 PM

Looks good Marty. I stand the sheets on end too. I always hated inside corners the worst.

#27 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,228 Thanks
  • 5,070 posts

Posted December 05, 2014 - 07:46 AM

I prefer 1 long butt joint instead of 3 up right joints any day when I'm doing it.  We are all different I suppose.  The only way I will stand a sheet up is if that one sheet will cover the entire wall.

#28 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted December 05, 2014 - 08:26 AM

I learned from my father, he was a master at finishing. He always hung drywall sideways, he said it broke up the long up/down joints so if there were bad joints, they would not be as noticeable to the eye. I dunno, but didn't matter anyway, when he was done with 3rd skim coat, he had next to no sanding and it was smoooottthhh!!! I didn't inherit his skill in that I can tell ya.

I used to do it that way, then we had a big project at church where we hung drywall up/down due to 9' ceilings. I finished those joints and it came out much better so I do it that way now. This room I am doing now also has almost 9' ceilings so much eaiser to cut off a few inches and hang 1 sheet with less joints.

I did a light sanding last night to smooth the rough spots, looked like a snow man when done, sanding ceilings really sucks! 

Got too so 3rd coat will have to wait until Saturday, got a Bible study/dinner tonight. Gives me ole back a days rest too :thumbs: