15 replies to this topic

#1 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,319 Thanks
  • 937 posts

Posted November 28, 2014 - 10:20 PM

Due to the age of most of the members here, would a health topic need to be added?

I havent been to a doctor for over 2 years. I went a new dentist, good looking 30+- year olds with small hands  :thumbs:

Anyway they checked my BP at 155 over 99. ( the tech might have had something to do with that). I went to my "family doctor" to get it rechecked and it was 150 over 90 and 150 over 80 (Not bad looking either :thumbs: , related???)

They put me on mild blood thinners (10mg) and have a follow up in late Dec.

Anything that I need to do to fix this besides back off the salt and try not to be fat and lazy?

• hamman and Coventry Plumber have said thanks

#2 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted November 28, 2014 - 10:42 PM

Do you use a water softener at you house? My Doctor says that most blood pressure readings are off the charts for most people, due to treating their water with salt, and not having it filtered. Maybe a possibility?

• IamSherwood said thank you

#3 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

• 1,319 Thanks
  • 937 posts

Posted November 28, 2014 - 10:54 PM

We have a water softener, I only put salt in it about once every 3 months, we just use it to filter out the mud. They say there is more salt in a loaf of bread that in 300 gallons of water from a water softener. I dont drink much water at home anyway. Most of the water I drink comes from bottled water at work and 95% water from cans shipped from St Louis

• johndeereelfman said thank you

#4 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

• 1,319 Thanks
  • 937 posts

Posted November 28, 2014 - 11:49 PM

SRV killing it on PBS, Dont check my PB now. That guy can friggin kill it. JImmy, Delbert, Collins, Diddley! I dont need the blue pills, I have had a chubby for an hour!!

#5 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,634 Thanks
  • 3,923 posts

Posted November 29, 2014 - 12:06 AM

Quote:

Due to the age of most of the members here, would a health topic need to be added?

Hey!   I'm "only 44"  Although I:

[1] Have a back injury that rated me 99% disabled

[2] Survived cancer

[3] Survived a heart attack

But I'm in pretty good shape for the shape I'm in.....   :(

Be careful if the Dr. put you on Lisinopril to control blood pressure.  I had a Dr. put me on 10mg for high blood pressure with a warning that it may give me a cough.  First and second month no cough.  Third month cough slowly came on - didn't think much about it.  Fourth month I had a cough so bad I passed out three times.  Finally it hit me what was going on so I called the Dr. and said you have to switch me now.   She said it could take a month before the cough stops - I said I don't have a month at this rate!!  The new drug, [get this] "hydrochlorothiazide" [no joke!] has me on the mend as the cough slacked off some the first day and it has gotten better since.   In the past I've had real trouble passing the DOT phsycal because of BP.  Hopefully this medication will keep my BP down enough I can keep my job driving a big truck because I'll go nuts if I have to go on disability.  :wallbanging:

• olcowhand, IamSherwood and tater195 have said thanks

#6 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

• 1,319 Thanks
  • 937 posts

Posted November 29, 2014 - 12:32 AM

I will need to check the bottle to see what they put me on. Chronic cough was one of the side effects they mentioned.

I went through the disability workmans comp crap 25 years ago. only a 10% permanent disability ( that doesnt pay too good when you are making $8 an hour) . Chiropractors messed me up more than anything. They say once you have a sprained ankle, it will always give you problems, imagine having 10. Cold weather kicks my butt. Muscles tense up and everything goes to hell. Now the knees are crapping out. I have had bursitis, tendinitis, arthritis and gained alot of lead in my ass in the last 6 months. My priority list has gotten a lot shorter in the last 4 months. I dont have to do much at work, but all of my projects at home kick my ass. I know I need to keep moving, but Its hard to get motivated this time of year. I have  dropped 15 pounds lately and another 30 wouldnt hurt anything. Looks like I need to hit the treadmill in the basement instead of watching the junk on the TV

• Gtractor said thank you

#7 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

• 1,319 Thanks
  • 937 posts

Posted November 29, 2014 - 12:38 AM

I hate to threadjack myself, but SRV is still on PBS. Hard to belive he died 25 years ago. That was about the time I started picking and stole most of my licks from a VHS tape I made from the 12 hours of SRV videos MTV played when he died

https://www.youtube....h?v=gZB57b3lPQE

1 hour and 38  of SRV and Albert King headhunting from 1983. "vintage" blues, If stuff from 1983 can be called vintage.

Edited by tater195, November 29, 2014 - 02:05 AM.

#8 Arti OFFLINE  

Arti
  • Member No: 11282
  • 1,291 Thanks
  • 963 posts

Posted November 29, 2014 - 06:31 AM

Good Morning Tater.

Just curious what is the treatment for the bursitis.

#9 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,688 Thanks
  • 7,694 posts

Posted November 29, 2014 - 08:24 AM

Quote:

Hey!   I'm "only 44"  Although I:

[1] Have a back injury that rated me 99% disabled

[2] Survived cancer

[3] Survived a heart attack

But I'm in pretty good shape for the shape I'm in.....   :(

Hopefully this medication will keep my BP down enough I can keep my job driving a big truck because I'll go nuts if I have to go on disability.  :wallbanging:

Wait! Your 99% disabled and driving a truck?

#10 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,688 Thanks
  • 7,694 posts

Posted November 29, 2014 - 08:25 AM

Does this mean there is a Health thread in Off Topic now?

#11 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,504 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted November 29, 2014 - 09:35 AM

It kills me how people think water softeners ad salt to your diet. The salt is used to clean the resin beads and it gets flushed out, there is so little residue it won't effect your diet.

Okay, off my soap box.

We could start a good food/recipe thread or maybe a sub forum for food/health or combine it with the kitchen/BBQ forum? 

• Gtractor said thank you

#12 Little Irish Men OFFLINE  

Little Irish Men
  • Member No: 61934
  • 664 Thanks
  • 386 posts

Posted November 29, 2014 - 09:38 AM

I do know some thing about this. water softeners made back in the 30, 40 , 50 ,60, were all manual . Were you had to recycle it and time each cycle and put the right amount of salt in it . And if you let it go to long in one cycle or not enought  or put to much salt in it . That's were the old mith  comes form. Today all softeners are auto and yes there is more salt in a slice of bread the well or city water.

#13 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,634 Thanks
  • 3,923 posts

Posted November 29, 2014 - 10:46 AM

Wait! Your 99% disabled and driving a truck?

Thats just one doctors rating.  Never said I agree with it.

That rating came from my current companys doctor that does their DOT physicals.  He promptly flunked me with flying colors so we came up with an agreement that I go to a different Dr. from then-on.

I have to have a job where I set down most of the time as I can't sand for very long.

I'm one of those [few now-a-days] crazy people that believe I should earn my own way in this life and not have others carry me on their backs.   :smilewink:  

• olcowhand and LilysDad have said thanks

#14 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,668 Thanks
  • 6,486 posts

Posted November 29, 2014 - 10:47 AM

Tahoe beat me to it! Mother in law used to Swear softener's PUT salt in water and didn't want to drink it. Tried to explain the "Cleaning Only" part of salt in system, but she never believed me.

One thing about a health forum...........aren't there many out there to look at and not need to "clutter" up our tractor forum with one? I used to hate when old folks met and all you heard was how they felt, how the meds doing and what they take and etc. NOW, I find my self and wife starting to do that as issues come up. Must be part of aging cycle,ha!  The occasional topic once in awhile and problems with well-known posters seems OK, but really think we don't need to go heavy into it. OK, Modertators......I realize I Don't have to go into the forum and/or could choose to NOT look, but fella wanted opinion on the idea and I Gave it!  No harm meant by anything said here!

• LilysDad said thank you

#15 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

• 1,319 Thanks
  • 937 posts

Posted November 29, 2014 - 11:56 AM

Good Morning Tater.
Just curious what is the treatment for the bursitis.

They removed 8 to 10cc of fluid from my elbow 4 times. After that I had to keep it wrapped for 2 weeks 

Edited by tater195, November 29, 2014 - 12:49 PM.

• Arti said thank you