• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 MNGB OFFLINE  

MNGB
  • Member No: 62466
  • 1,007 Thanks
  • 831 posts

Posted November 28, 2014 - 07:37 PM

Hi all, I just got this GT and I can not find a data tag anywhere on the tractor all I can find is Cenex 16/44 which I'm sure is a MTD built machine. Its a 16 hp B&S powered has a hydrostatic trans. Its been sitting out in the elements for yrs but with a bit of work it runs nice the trans works, the wiring is in serious condition, gas tank will have to come out for a complete cleaning. Anyone have any information on this model, like what the model number would be? Where should the data tag be located? Here's some pics

HPIM1731.JPG HPIM1732.JPG HPIM1734.JPG HPIM1735.JPG

Attached Thumbnails

• HPIM1733.JPG

• RAJ, CRFarnsworth and Gabriel have said thanks

#2 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 52459
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted November 28, 2014 - 09:37 PM

That looks a lot like a GT I once had. It was a Ranch King 18/44. It was gear drive though. Had a snow thrower too. If I remember correctly, the decal with the model number was down around the hitch or somewhere on the back. Seems like there was a serial number decal under the seat.

#3 MNGB OFFLINE  

MNGB
  • 1,007 Thanks
  • 831 posts

Posted November 28, 2014 - 10:36 PM

Thanks Gabriel, yes my research indicates that the Ranch King was one of the variants, I've checked those areas and I'm thinking that either they data tags have come off or have been painted over. Have found some manuals for it, an owners manual a 44 inch deck manual, a Eaton 7 hydro manual now have a wiring diagram and a parts break down all very helpful.

• Gabriel said thank you

#4 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted November 28, 2014 - 10:46 PM

Your welcome. Do you plan on restoring it or leaving it original?

#5 MNGB OFFLINE  

MNGB
  • 1,007 Thanks
  • 831 posts

Posted November 28, 2014 - 11:10 PM

Most likely leave it in its work clothes, I'll redo the wiring and get all the controls in good working condition but no painting.

• Gabriel said thank you

#6 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted November 29, 2014 - 11:02 AM

Do you have the seat brackets or are they missing?

Edited by Gabriel, November 29, 2014 - 11:03 AM.

#7 MNGB OFFLINE  

MNGB
  • 1,007 Thanks
  • 831 posts

Posted November 29, 2014 - 02:19 PM

Hi, yes they are on the seat, on this installation the front of the springs slip into the slot and the back rest on the seat pan, slots are to adjust the seat forward or back pretty simple and easy. Removed the seat pan to get the gas tank out this morning ( I tried blowing air thur the gas hose and nothing) got the tank out and what a mess inside the good is its a plastic tank, this tractor has sat out in the weather for sometime and the twisty rod that the gauge float moves up & down on had completely rust off anyway there was about an inch of tar like goop in the bottom of the tank got that all cleaned out and installed new fuel hose  the old hose is also clogged and 100PSI of air will not blow it open. This afternoon I'm going to degrease and power wash the hydro unit and then reassemble.

• Gabriel said thank you

#8 MNGB OFFLINE  

MNGB
  • 1,007 Thanks
  • 831 posts

Posted November 29, 2014 - 07:06 PM

Well I got the tractor cleaned up pretty well, reinstalled the fuel tank with new fuel hose and filter, cleaned some of the electrical connections, removed the engine blower housing top and cleaned the cylinder cooling fins, reinstalled the covers and cranked up the engine it runs nice these B&S opposed twins are one of my favorite engines I just like the way they run. Monday its to install a battery change engine oiland order a new airfilter and pre-filter. Then on to repairing the snowblower and testing that, so far so good.

• KennyP and Gabriel have said thanks

#9 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted November 29, 2014 - 10:38 PM

Sounds like you got quite a bit done! Happy for you that you got it running!

• MNGB said thank you

#10 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,455 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted November 30, 2014 - 06:38 AM

I have one of those B&S 16HP opposed twins on a Sears GTV/16. Good running engine! Hope to have an 18HP running before long.

#11 MNGB OFFLINE  

MNGB
  • 1,007 Thanks
  • 831 posts

Posted December 02, 2014 - 02:34 PM

Hi all, well can into the shop on Monday morning and the LH front tire was flat tried putting air in and it was coming out as fast, jacked the tractor up and rotated the wheel and low&behold it had blown, I had noticed that the tire was rotten and ripping on Saturday so sometime over the weekend it blew. Found a good replacement tire and a new inner tube and got it installed after a bit of a fight those 6" wheel are tuff. Got a good used battery installed, changed engine oil and cleaned the airfilter actually the main airfilter was clean the per-filter was a little dirty I washed it in warm soapy water and dried it and installed. Got the blower auger straightened  and the blower paddle also so thi AM I cranked it up and ran  it outside for a tes run. Tractor works good engine runs nice Hydro is very good and the snowblower works good. Blew a good sized area of snow with it got a couple of small things to work on the throttle will not stay at full, and the blower chute needs to have the rust removed and painted and the fuel tank cap needs to be repaired it rust thur in the center will get that fixed. All in all its working good.

• RAJ and Gabriel have said thanks

#12 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted December 02, 2014 - 10:43 PM

Glad it's working good for you!

• retired1990 said thank you

#13 MNGB OFFLINE  

MNGB
  • 1,007 Thanks
  • 831 posts

Posted December 07, 2014 - 09:13 AM

Well the Cenex / MTD is pretty much ready to go, tightened up the throttle and it stays put, got the rust removed from the SB chute and painted, had the tractor out and blew some snow with it and it does a good job. The hydro is really solid and the tractor is fast forward and reverse, now its to put on CL to sll it before I decide I like it too much :D

HPIM1745.JPG HPIM1746.JPG HPIM1747.JPG HPIM1749.JPG

• RAJ and Gabriel have said thanks

#14 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted December 08, 2014 - 10:41 AM

Thanks for the pics!

Edited by Gabriel, December 08, 2014 - 10:46 AM.

• MNGB said thank you

#15 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,727 Thanks
  • 8,908 posts

Posted December 08, 2014 - 08:18 PM

It should sell quick the next time we get 6" of snow.  :D

• MNGB said thank you