#1 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,625 Thanks
  • 2,577 posts

Posted November 28, 2014 - 06:25 PM

Hope I spelled that right? Oh well, I have a Coleman power mate 8 hp generator that we have had for about 10 years. My uncle had it for his HVAC business and someone forgot to check the oil and they blew it up. I partnered with my BIL to buy a short block and got it running about 6 years ago. We used it at our Bear Camp a few times until he got a diesel generator to use from a friend and then he inherited a nice generator from my father in law. We use that most of the time at camp now. We used to have problems with power outages in the winter over the past. They have since upgraded the power grid and now they are not as frequent. It has always been hard to start, but it would run after some coaxing. I pulled it out from under the bench the other day tried to get it running with no luck. It has always had a short pull rope on it (30"0 and that makes it hard to start but the thing pulls over very hard. I pulled the carb and was surprised when the first thing happened, the high speed brass needle holder broke off in the carb. My camera is acting up again and I couldn't get any pictures. This was the worst carb I have ever worked on. The float was coated in a thick black gunk. There was a bunch of rust also in it. It was stuck and would not move at all. I had to drive the pin that holds the float out with a punch. Had to pull the needle and seat out with long nose pliers. Once I got it apart I had to use an easy out to get the rest of the brass fitting out. Luckily ti came out without any damage to the carb. I used carb cleaner to spray the carb and it cleaned up pretty good. I also put some Seafoam in it and that helped. Cleaning the float without damaging it was a challenge but with the help of CC and Vinegar I got it all cleaned. Bought a rebuild kit at the local NAPA and put it all back together and now ready to put it back on to see if it runs now. We will also be putting a 48" pull rope back on it so it won't be such a short pull. I will let you know how it turns out.

A question I have and haven't found an answer to is, are there electric starters avaible for these? Model is a HM80. I can't see any teeth on the fly wheel so I would guess it would have to changed as well. Thanks for listening and any information.

Roger.

• Lmiller3358 and New.Canadian.DB.Owner have said thanks

#2 drbish ONLINE  

drbish

Collecter

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2544
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,155 posts

Posted November 28, 2014 - 07:27 PM

I could not find  a 12 volt starter on any parts list,just an 110 volt.I would think if they made a 110 volt you could find a 12 volt.

here is where i looked

http://www.tecumsehp...fLm7Aod72cAmw# 

I do have a flywheel and a starter off of a hh60

Edited by drbish, November 28, 2014 - 07:29 PM.

• hamman said thank you

#3 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,625 Thanks
  • 2,577 posts

Posted November 28, 2014 - 07:40 PM

I've been looking and came across a 12 V starter for it. I also saw a flywheel both on ebay. I wasn't sure that those parts were still available. About $ 100 for both with no shipping.  Have to think about that for a bit.   Thanks for looking. I have bookmarked that site in case the carb doesn't work.                 Roger. 

• IamSherwood said thank you

#4 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,306 Thanks
  • 933 posts

Posted November 28, 2014 - 07:47 PM

If It didnt come with an electric starter, you will need to change the stator also, unless you dont mind keeping a battery charger on it.

The 48" pull rope might be kinda tough. It will take a smaller diameter rope to get 48" on the pulley and that will break easier

• hamman, IamSherwood and superaben have said thanks

#5 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted November 28, 2014 - 07:49 PM

I might be wrong here, but check the crankshaft #'s, and make sure that flywheel

will fit yours. I seem to remember something about that. Could be wrong though.

• hamman said thank you

#6 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,206 Thanks
  • 28,581 posts

Posted November 28, 2014 - 07:53 PM

The 8's are a hard start. They did make electric start for them (the MF8 had a starter) but they also made a 110 starter for the versions on the snowblowers.

I have an 8 on a log splitter that is a bear to start, one thing that did help was to solder all the EPA approved holes shut on the choke plate.

Oh, yeah... What Will said too. Verify they will work.
  • hamman said thank you

#7 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

• 1,306 Thanks
  • 933 posts

Posted November 28, 2014 - 07:59 PM

I'm kinda foggy on this one , but was it the tec's or briggs that had the wind up starter? Change out the pull start for a wind up (if tec made one) , less parts to swap out. I'm not sure they will kick it any faster as I have only seen them on a push mower

• hamman said thank you

#8 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,625 Thanks
  • 2,577 posts

Posted November 28, 2014 - 08:14 PM

I had a Briggs walk behind mower with a wind up. Don't know if Tec had them. If 30" is to short and 48" is to much should I go wit 40" then? As I get older it's really hard to start it. I think I will try the choke plate trick. Thanks for the help.                                                                                                                     Roger

#9 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

• 1,306 Thanks
  • 933 posts

Posted November 28, 2014 - 08:17 PM

Just incase the thought crosses your mind, dont use an impact wrench on the flywheel nut. I tried that 25 years ago, it didnt turn out so well

• hamman said thank you

#10 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted November 28, 2014 - 08:38 PM

Roger, a couple thoughts.

First.  I have pieces off a long since scrapped salvage electric start HM80 tucked away.  There was a good electric start flywheel and starter.  I don't know if it is 110 or 12 volt.  I forget. 

Second.  New carburetors for an HM80 are not expensive.  They are available aftermarket.  If this one frustrates you too much, I can get you a heck of a deal on a new one.  The old Tecumsehs are very reliable and (if you have an adjustable carburetor) should start on the first pull everytime. 

Third.  As a historical note, Tecumsehs were offered with a wind up "impulse starter" like Briggs did.   I have one NOS kit. 

Ben W.

• hamman and boyscout862 have said thanks

#11 drbish ONLINE  

drbish

Collecter

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2544
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,155 posts

Posted November 28, 2014 - 09:00 PM

Here is a tec with an impulse starter that i have.

002.JPG  

005.JPG

006.JPG

• hamman, Trav1s, superaben and 1 other said thanks

#12 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,742 Thanks
  • 7,514 posts

Posted November 29, 2014 - 08:46 AM

The gunk in the carb was "varnish" because the engine was left with gas in it for a long time. It may still be hard to start because of  varnish in the very small ports in the carb. Once you get it running right, always run it out of fuel and turn the engine until you feel compression. I always add Marvel Mystery Oil to the gas to coat the fuel system and prevent corrosion. Good Luck, Rick

• hamman, IamSherwood and superaben have said thanks

#13 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted November 29, 2014 - 08:55 AM

Here is a tec with an impulse starter that i have.

attachicon.gif002.JPG

attachicon.gif005.JPG

attachicon.gif006.JPG

I forgot you had that little thing, Don.  Is that a camshaft driven shaft out the rear or a mounting stud?

Ben W.

• hamman said thank you

#14 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,625 Thanks
  • 2,577 posts

Posted November 29, 2014 - 09:26 AM

When I put the generator away we ran Stabil through it. I thought it had gotten in to it al right. I must admit that all those years ago I did not bring it out and start it again. My Bad as they say. The float bowl was varnished up quite a bit. The float was covered in a black sticky gunk. I've cleaned a lot of carbs and this one was the worst one I've created. Once I get it working right I will take your advice Rick and run it out of fuel. Ben I will Message you reference  the carb and starter. I am going to try to get the camera to work to show a couple of pics in a bit.  Thanks guys.                                                                                         Roger.

• boyscout862 and superaben have said thanks

#15 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,625 Thanks
  • 2,577 posts

Posted November 29, 2014 - 09:28 AM

Well for some reason I can't Thank some of your posts. Don't understand it but know I thank each of ya that respond.   THANKS !                              Roger.

• boyscout862 and superaben have said thanks