• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_hooligan_*

Guest_hooligan_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted March 06, 2010 - 09:02 PM

I got the new 23x10.50-12 AG tires on the Ariens GT14H They look great, I get the front AGs next week, and finally got the 3 point like I want it. The holes on my draft arms was only 1/2 inch, I started to drill it but My drill wouldn't take a 5/8" drill bit. I bought half inch pins, but the upper swivel balls on the lift links was 5/8" anyway I ending up turning down a brass bushing for the inside of the swivel bushing, and shortening the 1/2 hitch pin. I had to take 3/8" off the bushing and 3/4" off the hitch pin. I didn't have ANY room for error or slop. the draft arms when lifted come very close to the gas tank and the thick swivel knuckles ate up almost an inch that left me just enough room for the hitch pin and washer. I had to use a washer on the 1/3' hitch pin because otherwise the head of the pin would slip through the lift arms. Another problem came about when the center link was to short to reach the re-fabricated disc hitch. I cut off the center hitch on the sears disc and re-welded it straight up and down to fit the MF1650, but now it it was to far back for the center link to reach it. I fabricated a clevis on a piece of all thread and a nut and elongnated the center link. I'll re-weld another center flat bar on the disc to use the same center link or the longer one. I really like the longer 24 inch arms, at first they looked too long, but after putting different implements on them it works great and the lift travel is way more than any other GT I have, over 3 times the lift travel of the MF1650, double that of the MF-14. This "kit" was 149.00 plus around 25.00 shipping, it did not contain ANY hitch pins to hook to the tractor, but they would have been useless anyway since every Cat 0 hookup on every tractor is different, if you buy one figure on a couple of hours work time and road time to the parts store

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCF1112..jpg
  • DSCF1114..jpg
  • DSCF1109..JPG

#2 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 07, 2010 - 07:50 AM

It looks like it is going to work great and last a long time. With the ag tires on there too it looks like it means business.

#3 Guest_hooligan_*

Guest_hooligan_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted March 07, 2010 - 09:25 AM

Thanks, I'm putting front tires on it, repairing the brackets for the headlights, installing new taillights, wiring, and then it's ready for paint, still have the GT18H to repair the power steering and get a 3 point and new tires on

#4 Gary Burnett OFFLINE  

Gary Burnett

• Member No: 44
  • 10 Thanks
  • 98 posts

Posted March 07, 2010 - 08:33 PM

Those are alot longer arms than the original 3pt hitches be careful as it will now rear up easily when you have a load on the 3pt.Personally I'd shorten them to standard Cat 0 length as a tandem disk or Brinly Planter loaded with seed and fert is a load with short arms.You're right about the Massey's they use a shorter top link than the standard Cat 0 3pt.All 3pts from tractor to tractor are different even wiht Cat 1 and Cat 2 setups.Think I have about 20 different toplinks for various combos

Edited by hooligan, March 08, 2010 - 09:23 AM.
thought I was replying with quote, duh

#5 Guest_hooligan_*

Guest_hooligan_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted March 08, 2010 - 09:23 AM

Those are alot longer arms than the original 3pt hitches be careful as it will now rear up easily when you have a load on the 3pt.Personally I'd shorten them to standard Cat 0 length as a tandem disk or Brinly Planter loaded with seed and fert is a load with short arms.You're right about the Massey's they use a shorter top link than the standard Cat 0 3pt.All 3pts from tractor to tractor are different even wiht Cat 1 and Cat 2 setups.Think I have about 20 different toplinks for various combos

I put two cement bags, 90 lbs each on the disc, no rear up at all, went through the ground fine. I put the rear scraper, rock rake on also, and it didn't have any problem either. Flat as a pancake on my property. I'll have to check the plow, Thanks for the heads up.

#6 Areinboy OFFLINE  

Areinboy
  • Member No: 30428
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted March 14, 2013 - 08:23 AM

Very nice article. I have been looking for parts for a nice three point system like your for my S-16 H tractor. I have not found the flat lower arms nor much of anything to match what the system was like originally. None of the ag stores around here seem to know much about Areins tractors or parts. Would appreciate any help on this matter.
Thanks
Dave

#7 shorty OFFLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,564 Thanks
  • 3,942 posts

Posted March 14, 2013 - 07:28 PM

Welcome to GTtalk Dave!

Are you looking for original style hitch or any after market hitch that would fit? 

#8 chub380 OFFLINE  

chub380
  • Member No: 31772
  • 2 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted March 30, 2013 - 04:35 PM

I too would be interested in sources for those parts mine was missing them as well

#9 shorty OFFLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,564 Thanks
  • 3,942 posts

Posted March 30, 2013 - 08:23 PM

I will try to get some pics and info for you soon

#10 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,564 Thanks
  • 3,942 posts

Posted March 30, 2013 - 09:57 PM

This is what I have on my S-16. Nothing fancy, but it gets it done. This is with my weight block hooked on.

DSC03725.JPG DSC03727.JPG

The lower arms are 15 inches long with the lift point centered. I have the lift linkage adjusted to about 13 inches. This gives me 12 inches travel, 6 inches to 18 inches off ground. The sway chains are attached to a tab on the lower mounting pin keeping the hitch free and open. There is minimal clearance on the rock shaft arm to the gas tank so it takes a narrow mount to clear.

• KennyP said thank you

#11 shorty OFFLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,564 Thanks
  • 3,942 posts

Posted March 31, 2013 - 08:22 AM

Here are two places I found.

Redlandhill makes a cat 0 hitch. Looked like only the lift link would need to be modified slightly.

Eezs also has one. This one seemed to be closer to cat 1 in size.

• KennyP said thank you