There once was a story about a needle and a haystack. Well, this is a story, similar but different.
There once was a man and a snow storm, a formidable storm that took the power away from many and left countless others stranded away from home. The man set out on a mission to rid his drive and lane of the storms nasty white effect. He blew and he blew and he blew almost until he could not blow anymore. With a ton of snow yet to move the man looked and to his utter dismay realized his trusty stead was lame and could blow no more.
Limping back to the homestead, the man found that a pin had worked itself lose on the pivot that not only allows the blower to rise and fall but holds the blower securely to his stead. As he limped back to the barn, the realization that it was the eve of Thanksgiving and the Calvary would not arrive in time to help move the mountain of snow yet to move made his heart sink.
Up early the next morning the man hatched a plan. Armed with his trusty metal detector he set off to find the proverbial "Needle in the haystack." It was not long after his quest began that his metal detector began sounding off, alerting him to the presence of metal. All in all, the man found not one, not two, not three but four of the missing parts.
Search as he might, the man could not find what at first he believed to be the hardest to replace part. With the few part he had found clutched tightly in his hand he headed back to the homestead. The man set about searching his shop for scrap he might use to fabricate the part that still eluded him.
To make a long story short, the man was able to fabricate the missing part and finish the job he had set out to accomplish the day before.
(Location of the bolt and one washer)
(bolt and one washer)
(location of the other two washers)
(other two washers)
(all four pieces that were found)
(nut used to fabricate missing busing and the bushing from the other side of the blower, identical to the one I never found)
(the original nut, the nut that I *ground down and the end of the bushing I was recreating)
(another pic of the nut I ground down and the bushing I was working to fabricate)
(a piece of steel laying around from something I took apart that I used for the back portion of the bushing)
(drilling out the center of the scrap of steel to the proper width)
(newly fabricated bushing and bolt back in place)
* The method I used for grinding down the nut was to sandwich the nut between two smaller nuts on a long lag bolt. I then inserted the lag bolt into my cordless drill. Running the drill in the opposite direction as my bench grinder I slowly ground the nut down to the size I needed.
Edited by Moosetales, November 28, 2014 - 07:41 PM.