#16 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,692 Thanks
  • 8,886 posts

Posted November 28, 2014 - 01:52 PM

Im thinking optical illusion because the secondary impeller seems to be turning too slow which is the case when that happens

Watch the video at the 9:00 mark, it's idling at that point. Still looks backwards to me, both the impeller and the knuckle at the 9:18 mark.

#17 Sparky OFFLINE  

Sparky

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1574
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted November 28, 2014 - 02:39 PM

Photo11281422.jpg Not a good pic but from a 20 inch blower .
Maybe a 45 degree fold on business side of snow intake .

#18 Enginerod OFFLINE  

Enginerod

• Member No: 1748
  • 205 Thanks
  • 268 posts

Posted November 28, 2014 - 04:02 PM

Watch the video at the 9:00 mark, it's idling at that point. Still looks backwards to me, both the impeller and the knuckle at the 9:18 mark.

Im just thinking it just looks like its turning backwards and too slow because I have worked on this style blower and how they are designed it would be close to impossible to change the direction of just the auger or the impeller, changing the direction of both would be easy with the hydraulic drive.   

• Cat385B said thank you

#19 tractorgarden OFFLINE  

tractorgarden

Junk Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2291
  • 1,277 Thanks
  • 1,432 posts

Posted November 28, 2014 - 06:29 PM

http://gardentractor...ed-snow-blower/

#20 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,585 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted November 28, 2014 - 08:45 PM

I have a feeling it is turning the correct direction, I think its an optical illusion like when you look at a spoked wheel and it looks like its turning backwards. If the auger is turning the correct direction I dont see how the impeller could be turning backwards. I think the snow getting thrown forward is from the plate he welded on the auger.

I agree I think both auger and impeller are tuning the way they should, at 1 point he pushes down on the front of the auger with his foot a bit and the impeller turns the right way.

I think the reason snow is pushed forward is the flat plate he welded on the auger, it will move the snow all around when it turns not just toward the impeller.

#21 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted November 28, 2014 - 08:52 PM

I agree I think both auger and impeller are tuning the way they should, at 1 point he pushes down on the front of the auger with his foot a bit and the impeller turns the right way.

I think the reason snow is pushed forward is the flat plate he welded on the auger, it will move the snow all around when it turns not just toward the impeller.

The owner says it is spinning clockwise.If it is spinning clockwise facing the blower then something is wrong.

Edited by Username, November 28, 2014 - 08:53 PM.

#22 Enginerod OFFLINE  

Enginerod

• 205 Thanks
  • 268 posts

Posted November 28, 2014 - 09:01 PM

I hadnt noticed that DH1, good catch, if you watch the video where it appears the impeller is turning backwards, it also looks like it is turning slower than the auger which would never move any snow up the chute.

• DH1 said thank you

#23 Enginerod OFFLINE  

Enginerod

• 205 Thanks
  • 268 posts

Posted November 28, 2014 - 09:02 PM

The owner says it is spinning clockwise.If it is spinning clockwise facing the blower then something is wrong.

If the impeller is spinning clockwise looking at the front of the blower that would be correct because the chute is offset to the left looking at the front of the blower.

#24 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted November 28, 2014 - 09:12 PM

If the impeller is spinning clockwise looking at the front of the blower that would be correct because the chute is offset to the left looking at the front of the blower.

But the fins on the impeller would be bent the wrong way.

#25 Enginerod OFFLINE  

Enginerod

• 205 Thanks
  • 268 posts

Posted November 28, 2014 - 10:16 PM

If you look at the first part of the video,where the impeller is standing still, if the impeller is spinning clockwise facing the front of the blower, then the scoops are bent the correct way, the edges are bent up toward the direction the impeller spins.

#26 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,356 Thanks
  • 1,474 posts

Posted November 29, 2014 - 08:47 AM

Looks like it's running right to me.  The direction it appears to be running is an optical illusion from the camera.  Check out this video I made of our combine a few years ago and pay attention to the rotary air screen on the side of the machine from about the 1:10 mark to about the 1:35 mark.  It looks like it slows down and starts turning the opposite direction when dad throttles down to start the machine and then appears to stop again and start turning back the other way when he throttles back up.  In reality it never changed direction, only slowed down.  The camera turns it into an optical illusion and makes it look that way though.

Edited by IHCubGuy, November 29, 2014 - 08:49 AM.

• olcowhand and Enginerod have said thanks

#27 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted November 29, 2014 - 09:53 AM

I think it's running correct too. The auger is turning to pull snow to the middle which is correct. I think the snow is blowing out the front because the augers do not go all the way to the center and if there was multiple center paddles there wouldn't be a much snow blowing out forward. My Craftsman blower sometimes blows it out the front. 

• Enginerod said thank you