Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

I Went To Get Parts For The Gt14 And Brought This Home Too.

c165 8 speed.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

Has anybody seen my coffee ?

• Member No: 325
  • 2,367 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted November 27, 2014 - 10:03 PM

I went to pick up some much needed parts for the GT14 and was going to pick up a modified Cub Original while I was there but I decided against the Cub. Later as I was getting ready to leave I mentioned I wouldn't mind to take home another Wheel Horse and ended up bringing home this clean straight C165 8 speed,minus engine. The reason that I had been looking for a Wheel Horse roller is because I have a Cast iron S7D recoil start Wisconsin that I want to put on a tractor. But.....yesterday I fell into a 25hp Kohler Command v-twin...hmmm.....now which to bolt on this tractor ? lol

Attached Thumbnails

• c165 wh.jpg
  • c165 wh.jpg 2.jpg
  • c165 wh.jpg 3.jpg
  • c165 wh.jpg 4.jpg
  • c165 wh.jpg 5.jpg
  • wisconsin sd7.jpg
  • wisconsin sd7.jpg 2.jpg

• CRFarnsworth, LilysDad, GlenPettit and 3 others have said thanks

#2 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,696 Thanks
  • 8,890 posts

Posted November 27, 2014 - 10:09 PM

Was Rick Moranis the previous owner? I see his handiwork on the front axle..... 

• rustyoldjunk and superaben have said thanks

#3 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

• 2,367 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted November 27, 2014 - 10:15 PM

No Sir Cat. It just had a front wheel swap....My buddy got a 310-8 in with these front wheels and swapped the wheels on this one with the 310-8.I will obviously change front wheels but for now it will roll around the shop on these. :D

Edited by rustyoldjunk, November 27, 2014 - 10:20 PM.

• Cat385B said thank you

#4 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,394 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted November 27, 2014 - 11:01 PM

I thought those fronts looked awful small! Nice score!

• rustyoldjunk said thank you

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,250 Thanks
  • 28,602 posts

Posted November 27, 2014 - 11:06 PM

Other than the front wheels saying Tonka, it looks like a pretty clean roller. Oh, and go with the Kohler IMHO :thumbs:

#6 CRFarnsworth OFFLINE  

CRFarnsworth

• Contributor
  • Member No: 6275
  • 3,634 Thanks
  • 1,732 posts

Posted November 28, 2014 - 08:45 AM

I checked with Tim Allen and he says go with the Kohler. :D  :D   Rick

#7 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,599 Thanks
  • 7,655 posts

Posted November 28, 2014 - 09:11 AM

With the Wisc. there would be the major issue with the pto and pulley. Unless your not going to use powered attachments.

#8 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted November 28, 2014 - 10:03 AM

One problem may be the floating engine mount in frame here. I bought one once and removed that whole assembly and mounted a single kohler back in, right on frame, just like others before. I DID have to find the lower pto pivot, as the orig was in the engine plate I took off. Shaft and pulley alignment was right on cause engine was from another horse.  Not sure why you would want that Wisconsin in there, specially with pull start??  V-twin is cool, wiring may call for diff key switch, check that. Not sure if you could still fit under hood with that floating plate again?  Engines for that plate may have had a bumped out oil pan that reached down thru that cut-out you see. It was to use the same engine design, and same crank height as one w/out the floating plate. With the plate raised up, alignment was off, so they made diff pan to set lower in the opening. Finding that correct engine may be hard, so as noted, think the plate should be coming off to make changes easier.

• KennyP said thank you

#9 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

• 2,367 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted November 29, 2014 - 01:00 AM

I have decided to go with the Wisconsin. Why ? Just because,really. I like the sound and torque of the old cast iron Briggs and Wisconsin's over the sound of Kohlers and Teckys. Grumpy,I got all bases covered. The isolator plate has holes in it that the Wisconsin lines up with or I have a hard mount riser plate,if I want to use it or I have big pan Kolhers that will bolt right straight to the tractor frame and be right. I don't plan to use it other then to pull a trailer,push snow,putt around on and maybe plow the garden. The S7D is a severe duty duty high torque cast iron engine so it should pull fine and squeeze fuel. It should be equal to a C85. As far as why I want recoil,I like recoil. I have enough tractors to keep batteries in. One of the things I love about my 1960 Simplicity 700 is a couple of pulls off the rope cup on the bevel gear box and the Old model 19 cast iron big block Briggs is putting away. Another great thing is I can leave all the stock wiring alone so that if I ever want to put a K Series Kohler back in it and mow,the wiring will be there waiting to be hooked up.

Edited by rustyoldjunk, November 29, 2014 - 01:04 AM.

#10 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

• 2,367 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted November 29, 2014 - 01:02 AM

On a side note Grumpy the isolator pan on a Wheel Horse uses a flat pan. Some Cub and Deere pans are setup like you are thinking.

#11 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted November 29, 2014 - 12:08 PM

OK, had a C-175 with blown kT-17 and it was flat mounted on my plate, no holes. I was just told by Horse guys that if I put in a single, would need the cut-out for the special pan used for that set-up. That's where I was getting that. I took off that pan and mounted to frame, just like most wheelhorse. Didn't have the holes in pan underneath like most, but did use J-bolts successfully to mount that side of engine. Orig engine came from a wider frame that didn't have bolts in pans on engine then.

#12 jerseyhawg / glenn ONLINE  

jerseyhawg / glenn
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62978
  • 224 Thanks
  • 127 posts

Posted November 30, 2014 - 02:10 PM

rusty/jim,,,,,nice score. That metal looks clean and straight. I dont have a comment on what engine.
Allways liked the black hoods. I just came across a C175 but when I mentioned to the bride. Holy Christmas,,,,,look out below. Lol

Glenn