• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 James Lango OFFLINE  

James Lango
  • Member No: 58999
  • 3 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted November 27, 2014 - 08:30 PM

Looking for help/advice on this project.  Adding a belt driven PTO to Power King.
Thanks!
James- OHIO

Please take a min to watch my short clip on explanation.

I have not been able to find ANYTHING on the internet about this for ANY tractor.
  • Bill 76, davidj927 and MNGB have said thanks

#2 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted December 02, 2014 - 05:21 PM

Sounds like you need  to find the correct set-up for the PK. The PK tillers all have a long tube with shaft inside that goes all the way to front of tractor and runs off the PTO which is mounted on the ENGINE, not the tiller shaft. Then a belt runs down to a pulley on end of tiller shaft. The hangers for the tiller shaft hook up to the frame there. IF  you have older PK or economy, some only went as far as the clutch  housing and belt runs off the pulleys on flywheel there and down under thru opening and around the shaft pulley. These required a belt tensioner set-up for the clutch. The rear of the tiller hangs off the three-point or lift hitch with out the lift arms and lower arms. It uses the rockshaft arms above to pull it up, kinda like I see in your video start. There were diff variations of rear pto systems on economyPK tractors, but differ with years and models. Some ran off the front pto, and others ran off the center as I mentioned. They had brackets and bearings held in place, and think ONE u-joint where shaft meets a support? not sure. Seems you are unable to use some attachments under tractor once the pto is installed, have to check on that.  Keep in mind also that PK used a 2000 rpm pto and not slower like maybe other machines may have used. SO, it may run the other brand tiller too fast?  Maybe if you are a good tinkerer, you can get it to work.  I would have to look for more of original items to make it fit the tractor if I had it.  The newer PK's are little easier to put attachments on also, more modern, than the early ones were. Many changes were updated thru the years of the tractor.

• KennyP and MNGB have said thanks

#3 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted December 03, 2014 - 02:47 PM

You did a nice restore especially considering the shape.That tractor is mid to late 60's going by some features it has.Make sure the tiller turns the same direction asEconomy one as Economy does not always run attachments off the same end of the engine as other tractors.

#4 J4lvl3s OFFLINE  

J4lvl3s
  • Member No: 80775
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted February 15, 2016 - 10:42 AM

First post. Picked up a 1983 PK 2418 from an old friend that was just sitting in a barn. Changed points, condenser and it fired right up. I'm reading as much as I can find on this tractor but need help with information on the rear PTO. It has a front PTO (belt missing) under which is a bracket with two vertical pulleys then a larger pulley housing that drives the rear PTO shaft. Everything moves freely by hand. Now my questions:

1. Are there any manuals for the rear PTO?

2. Are there 3 point attachments / implements available for it?

3. Anyone have a belt guide for the rear PTO?

4. Did all PK rear PTOs spin at 2k rpm?

Thank you for your time

#5 Diesel1050 ONLINE  

Diesel1050

Diesel Nut!

• Member No: 69580
  • 343 Thanks
  • 393 posts

Posted February 15, 2016 - 11:36 AM

First post. Picked up a 1983 PK 2418 from an old friend that was just sitting in a barn. Changed points, condenser and it fired right up. I'm reading as much as I can find on this tractor but need help with information on the rear PTO. It has a front PTO (belt missing) under which is a bracket with two vertical pulleys then a larger pulley housing that drives the rear PTO shaft. Everything moves freely by hand. Now my questions:
1. Are there any manuals for the rear PTO?
2. Are there 3 point attachments / implements available for it?
3. Anyone have a belt guide for the rear PTO?
4. Did all PK rear PTOs spin at 2k rpm?

Thank you for your time

Please consider making your own thread. Thanks

#6 J4lvl3s OFFLINE  

J4lvl3s
  • Member No: 80775
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted February 15, 2016 - 01:08 PM

Please consider making your own thread. Thanks

Started a new thread. Do not know how to clean this post from here.

#7 Diesel1050 ONLINE  

Diesel1050

Diesel Nut!

• Member No: 69580
  • 343 Thanks
  • 393 posts

Posted February 15, 2016 - 01:44 PM

A mod outta take care of it! Hope I didn't come across as rude...just wanted your thread to get more views!

#8 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Member No: 62466
  • 985 Thanks
  • 823 posts

Posted February 15, 2016 - 02:19 PM

Hi James, welcome to the PK group, nice looking PK you have nice job you did with it. Can't help you with the PTO questions but I'll follow your progress interested to see how you make out. I;ve thought about a 3 pt tiller for mine but I've been thinking of mounting an engine (like a HF clone) on it and going that route.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pto drive, belt driven pto, power king, tiller, homemade pto