• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 steve b OFFLINE  

steve b

• Member No: 1581
  • 109 Thanks
  • 193 posts

Posted November 27, 2014 - 07:09 PM

Hi I made a stinger for weight for my blower the other week. I had never seen an origonal so I guessed. Of course as soon as I made one 3 showed up on my local CL. I used 6" of solid round stock for the post and 12" of 2" solid where the weights go. I used 2 2" shaft collars to keep the weight from moving.

About the weight... I went to my steel supplier to see about getting plate cut. It was about 1.00 per pound. I got to looking and found 5lb powder coated barbell weight ( no rust ) on sale for 4.50 each from a online store. They offered free shiping on orders over 30.00 so I ordered 16 of them.I expect that they actually lost money on that deal with shipping costs these days. 

This works really well, and this winter I will have a bit of assist on that blower handle!

Heres a few photos.

Oh, Now that I have seen the real thing I do think my version is a bit more "refined".

stinger 1.JPG stinger 2.JPG

• Gtractor, hamman, Traill95 and 3 others have said thanks

#2 petrj6 OFFLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,810 Thanks
  • 2,223 posts

Posted November 27, 2014 - 07:15 PM

I have seen a pile of those stinger weights and only two or three of them have ever been the same.  I personally think allis chalmers just used what was on hand to build those weight's.  as for yours I like it !!!  I like the idea that you can change the weight ratio to adjust for heavier loads.  My home made stinger is just a couple of blocks on a rod.

Pete

#3 AfterShock95 OFFLINE  

AfterShock95
  • Member No: 63122
  • 420 Thanks
  • 365 posts

Posted November 27, 2014 - 07:39 PM

I have been thinking about building one these for some added weight when pushing snow .im just not sure it would help . It would make the plow Easyer to lift if I'm looking it correctly

#4 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,065 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted November 27, 2014 - 09:06 PM

Simplicity did a great job setting up their Lift system to utilize their counterweights. I like to use a stinger whenever Im pushing snow, especially with a hydrolift....a stinger makes the float position in the lift work great, and really lightens up the pressure on the blade's cutting edge. It helps to avoid scalping the lawn, snagging a crack or seam in the concrete and saves some wear on the blade, while still giving a nice clean pass vs snow and ice.

With manual lift, I like a stinger and 1 doughnut, slid all the way out on the stinger. Balances a 46" dozer perfectly and saves the arm.

I have had dozens of the oem stingers, and each and every one has been identical. The materials are the same and Im certain they just used jigs to cut and weld them all the same. Last winter I cleared out a bunch of stuff and sat on stingers for a long time, listed at $30 each. I do occasionally see them go sky high on ebay, but a guy should be able to find one under $50 without much trouble. Those usps flat rate boxes made shipping them cheap and easy.

#5 AfterShock95 OFFLINE  

AfterShock95
  • 420 Thanks
  • 365 posts

Posted November 27, 2014 - 09:45 PM

I didn't think about it helping with the down preasure on the blade with the manual lift

#6 steve b OFFLINE  

steve b

• Member No: 1581
  • 109 Thanks
  • 193 posts

Posted November 27, 2014 - 10:50 PM

Actually, with the blower anyway, AC figured it out so that there is plenty of down pressure in the last couple inches of travel. Then it gets much lighter as you begin to lift. I was concerned about making it too light and having it float on the snow but this is not a problem.

#7 petrj6 OFFLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,810 Thanks
  • 2,223 posts

Posted November 28, 2014 - 06:15 AM

Allot of the stringers I have seen must have been home made, they certainly are easy enough to make.  I would love to get my hands on an oem one.

#8 Traill95 ONLINE  

Traill95

Traill95

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8763
  • 1,577 Thanks
  • 920 posts

Posted November 28, 2014 - 09:43 AM

Hi I made a stinger for weight for my blower the other week. I had never seen an origonal so I guessed. Of course as soon as I made one 3 showed up on my local CL. I used 6" of solid round stock for the post and 12" of 2" solid where the weights go. I used 2 2" shaft collars to keep the weight from moving.

About the weight... I went to my steel supplier to see about getting plate cut. It was about 1.00 per pound. I got to looking and found 5lb powder coated barbell weight ( no rust ) on sale for 4.50 each from a online store. They offered free shiping on orders over 30.00 so I ordered 16 of them.I expect that they actually lost money on that deal with shipping costs these days. 

This works really well, and this winter I will have a bit of assist on that blower handle!

Heres a few photos.

Oh, Now that I have seen the real thing I do think my version is a bit more "refined".

attachicon.gifstinger 1.JPGattachicon.gifstinger 2.JPG

I have a 2012 landlord and I will be using your idea to set it up. Thanks. :D

#9 B10Dave OFFLINE  

B10Dave

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1808
  • 386 Thanks
  • 250 posts

Posted November 30, 2014 - 07:44 PM

Steve; your stinger weight is well thought out and built. With mine I just took a piece of 1in. stock and welded on four pieces of larger stock. Weighs about 40 lbs. and does what I need it to do...Dave

hitch1.jpg

#10 AfterShock95 OFFLINE  

AfterShock95
  • 420 Thanks
  • 365 posts

Posted January 25, 2015 - 07:31 PM

Ok me and my buddy built 3 lift arms for my Ac I put 30 lbs on the 12 inch long one we made it works out perfect

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg