31 replies to this topic

#1 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

middleageddeere

Tacos!

• Member No: 2033
  • 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted February 25, 2011 - 09:49 AM

I am thinking I would like to have an electric GT. I am trying to figure out what I need to do to convert a JD to electric or if I should just buy a GE. My questions are 1) What is involved in conversion? I am thinking I would stick with a gear drive tractor to keep it simple. 2) Where can I get one of these older GE's or are there other electric GT to choose form? What should I expect to pay? How good are they? Are they tough enough to use a snow blade? I figure that way I can snow removal in silence...
Thanks guys.
Adam

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,331 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted February 25, 2011 - 12:36 PM

You may want to read over DH1's conversion. It even has video of snowplowing.
http://gardentractor...n-tractor-1957/
  • middleageddeere said thank you

#3 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted February 25, 2011 - 01:41 PM

And it appears to work really well.

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,331 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted February 25, 2011 - 02:25 PM

Yeah, but I don't know if it'd work as well if it was green. :poke:

#5 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 25, 2011 - 02:34 PM

In all honesty I think a hydro would be easier because you wouldn't need a speed controller. I don't know how it would work out though for disharge time wih the motor spinning full speed the whole time.

I like the idea of conversions because you can use your favorite tractor or body style. I do like the GE Electraks but I also really like DH1's Massey he converted.

#6 daytime dave ONLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted February 25, 2011 - 04:09 PM

I have to say you better be pretty handy if you want to get into either one. Look at DH1's conversion. It was a lot of work, done by a very competent person. I know I could not do that.

I acquired an Elec Trak in great shape. I had long wanted one, but could never find one. They need quite a bit of electrical and mechanical know how. If you get one that needs repair before you can operate it, or one that you have to invest in batteries (not cheap) or both, it can mean a lot of money and effort.

If you don't think you can handle the conversion, I'd look for an Elec Trak or the New Idea or Wheel Horse models after GE sold the division. Check out elec-trak.org. They have a tremendous amount of Elec trak (of course) but also a lot of electric knowledge.

Good luck with your decision.

#7 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

middleageddeere

Tacos!

• 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted February 25, 2011 - 04:12 PM

Yeah, but I don't know if it'd work as well if it was green. :poke:

No thanks for you! lol

#8 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,331 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted February 25, 2011 - 04:45 PM

No thanks for you! lol

:bigrofl:
I know payback is coming :D

#9 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted February 25, 2011 - 05:39 PM

I am thinking I would like to have an electric GT. I am trying to figure out what I need to do to convert a JD to electric or if I should just buy a GE. My questions are 1) What is involved in conversion? I am thinking I would stick with a gear drive tractor to keep it simple. 2) Where can I get one of these older GE's or are there other electric GT to choose form? What should I expect to pay? How good are they? Are they tough enough to use a snow blade? I figure that way I can snow removal in silence...
Thanks guys.
Adam

If I had my choice and could find one I would go for a Ge Elec-Track or any of the other models that are the same, New Idea, Wheel Horse versions. These tractors work, lots of attachments, this year I really want to try to get one for myself. The only reason I made the "Electric Massey" is because I can't find an Elec-Trak.
Look at Daytime Dave, Sparky, even Mr Elec-Trak they all have good examples of the GE's.
Elec-Trak compared to the Electric Massey there's a big difference
GE has more than 2x the battery power, 2x the range or run time and that's a big factor.
If you convert one this is a really good source of info>EVAlbum: Search Results
Also has some GE's different models shown.

There are many ways to approach a conversion and you can spend a ton of $.
Alot of them use a motor that turns at a fixed speed and this eliminates the expense of a controller, think of a normal lawn tractor running full speed, power all the time, you have gears and a clutch to control your speed. When you cut grass you at full power anyway. If you use a Hydro Static tractor you have full speed control just like the gas version, only down side is it's more inefficient and will reduce run time, probably not that much on the newer tractors.
Here's a good example of a converted lawn tractor with Hydro Static drive and no controller.
>Joe Lorenzi's Electric Lawn Tractor
Video of it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z83yjhf3yeg
  • Sparky, middleageddeere and tractorgarden have said thanks

#10 Sparky OFFLINE  

Sparky

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1574
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted February 25, 2011 - 06:00 PM

Doug - if you would make a trip this way I could supply you an E20 w/deck for a reasonable price. It would be a pleasure to help a Canadian friend.

#11 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted February 25, 2011 - 06:10 PM

I converted an old Springfield Lawn/Garden tractor to electric using scooter parts. I used a larger 24v kit, but recommend going to the 36v because those draw less amps and the larger motors are easier to obtain. Expect to spend $200 on this scooter kit (best priced and definitely go with a currie motor).
36 Volt 1000 Watt Motor, Controller, & Throttle Kit (Premium)
The battery size recommended is 12 Amp Hour however, I used Walmart Everstart group 29 with 125 Amp Hour rating at $100 each including the core charge. This makes the thing last 10 times that of a scooter, which are usually dead in half hour. Use a gear drive and use a chain drive input with an approximate gear ratio of the gas version, if not lower geared just slightly. This will give you plenty of gears to do work or play in to make your batteries last longer, and the motor run more efficiently (draw less amps). If you plan to mow I would not recommend this setup, but it does work very well for drawbar activitys, although i have yet to try that, just know I have the power still. You can probably get by with jut a scooter charger (3 amps output) and will charge longer (overnight). So you can figure the conversion for about 600-700 dollars plus whatever tractor you grab up, which should be belt driven from the engine. Anyway, hope this helps. I do have a video of mine if you search "Electric Springfield" on this forum.

#12 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted February 25, 2011 - 06:18 PM

Doug - if you would make a trip this way I could supply you an E20 w/deck for a reasonable price. It would be a pleasure to help a Canadian friend.

It would be a nice trip but I'll see what I can find locally first, 2 came up for sale last year, will see what happens this year.

Also here's a link to a company that sell's conversion kits.
>Electric Lawn Tractors and Conversion Kits - Edmond Electric Co. LTD.

wvbuzzmaster has a really good example of what can be done with parts that are available now.
>http://gardentractor...ringfield-3924/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKwCZfePa9w
  • wvbuzzmaster, middleageddeere and tractorgarden have said thanks

#13 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 25, 2011 - 06:47 PM

It would be a nice trip but I'll see what I can find locally first, 2 came up for sale last year, will see what happens this year.

Also here's a link to a company that sell's conversion kits.
>Electric Lawn Tractors and Conversion Kits - Edmond Electric Co. LTD.

wvbuzzmaster has a really good example of what can be done with parts that are available now.
>http://gardentractor...ringfield-3924/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKwCZfePa9w

What amperage does the motor pull on Casey's Springfield? The wiring on the batteries seems a little small if it is pulling any sizable amps. It definitely proves a point of what can be done with what is available today.

Edit: after hearing what you were saying at the end of the video it is a 40 amp fuse. I can't believe that is all the amperage it pulls, definitely does good for what amps it pulls.

#14 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted February 25, 2011 - 07:24 PM

George, it isn't pulling 40 amps, because if it was, I would be replacing the fuse often lol. I have yet to hook up my ammeter on it, or stall the motor. And believe me, I did try lol. The wires off the batteries are 8 gauge, good for 40 amps,if not well more, and it never hurts to overkill wire size to keep voltage drop issues down.

Also, Thanks Doug for linking my video to this thread.

#15 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

middleageddeere

Tacos!

• 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted February 25, 2011 - 07:32 PM

Sparky-is that offer only good to Doug?