• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 cookie30 OFFLINE  

cookie30
  • Member No: 63057
  • 3 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted November 26, 2014 - 05:55 PM

Hello, I had just got my 122 running the other day after it sat for a couple years with the previous owner and then almost a year with me. I cleaned the carb and done all the regular maint. to it. I was hoping I was going to get to play in the white stuff today but when I got it out I was in the middle of the yard with blade up and heading for the drive way, I stopped and it was idling when all I heard was a pop and it shut down. I was wondering where is the best place to get a rebuild kit? Thanks mike

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,413 Thanks
  • 39,663 posts

Posted November 26, 2014 - 05:58 PM

:wave: Welcome to the forum! Folks with the answers will arrive before long!

• cookie30 said thank you

#3 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,607 Thanks
  • 3,909 posts

Posted November 26, 2014 - 06:24 PM

Assuming you are saying it threw a rod and you are going to fix it yourself,  your best bet would be to go to the "forum" page and look under "site supporters".  Those folks help keep the lights on around here and will have what you need plus some advise if you have any questions.

:welcometogttalk:

#4 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted November 26, 2014 - 06:38 PM

"Pop" as in a backfire, or "pop" as in metal breaking, or "pop" as in a fuse blowing?

#5 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,848 Thanks
  • 3,191 posts

Posted November 26, 2014 - 06:56 PM

Welcome aboard, sorry about your trouble. I'm sure those who know will be along with more advice than I can give.

#6 HANKG OFFLINE  

HANKG
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,877 Thanks
  • 2,791 posts

Posted November 26, 2014 - 07:20 PM

Welcome aboard enjoy the site, need more info about that pop, does it still turn over ?

#7 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 52459
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted November 26, 2014 - 07:37 PM

WELCOME to GTTalk!

#8 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted November 26, 2014 - 08:15 PM

:welcome: glad to have you but sorry on your problem. Like mentioned a better explanation of what kind of pop you heard, what exactly were you doing at the last moment, any smoke or back fire first etc. Let us know.

#9 TokyoDrift99 OFFLINE  

TokyoDrift99
  • Member No: 59603
  • 80 Thanks
  • 112 posts

Posted November 26, 2014 - 08:26 PM

Sounds like it could be a rod. try to turn the engine by hand. Maybe a nasty backfire, from having the mixture too rich. Explain the noise. If it turns over, but wont start it sounds like the backfire (if that was the noise) may have sheared the timing key.

#10 cookie30 OFFLINE  

cookie30
  • 3 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted November 26, 2014 - 08:48 PM

Thanks guys, the pop sounded like the rod broke. when it made the "pop" sounded like metal clanging around and shut down rite now. I tried to start it after and it turned over faster and seemed like no compression and the motor keep spinning until it slowed enough to stop. All i done was start it and was driving thru the yard and I stopped and it was idling about 1/2 throttle, I was standing beside it and then it broke. IT is a k301a that has never had anything done to it except regular maint. Im not going to complain considering it is a 1965 motor. sorry I didnt elaborate in the org post more.

#11 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted November 26, 2014 - 09:28 PM

That is never a fun thing to hear in the middle of the snow.  You must have been around my area, we had 5 inches give or take.  :wallbanging:

I do sell rebuild kits.  A complete kit is $100, piston, rings, rod, and gasket set.  You can go as in depth or as simple as you care to do it. 

Are you planning to replace the piston, too, or just the rod and rings?  The reason I ask that, is there are two different styles of rods.  If you plan to replace the rod and piston, it doesn't matter, but if you are replacing the rod only you'll have to pull it apart and find out which piston you have so I can match you the right rod.

Ben W.

• cookie30 said thank you

#12 cookie30 OFFLINE  

cookie30
  • 3 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted November 26, 2014 - 09:38 PM

That is never a fun thing to hear in the middle of the snow.  You must have been around my area, we had 5 inches give or take.  :wallbanging:

I do sell rebuild kits.  A complete kit is $100, piston, rings, rod, and gasket set.  You can go as in depth or as simple as you care to do it. 

Are you planning to replace the piston, too, or just the rod and rings?  The reason I ask that, is there are two different styles of rods.  If you plan to replace the rod and piston, it doesn't matter, but if you are replacing the rod only you'll have to pull it apart and find out which piston you have so I can match you the right rod.

Ben W.

Im in Elkton and we got about 4 inches. I will prob. replace piston and rod. I hope I get time over the weekend to tear into it. 

• superaben said thank you

#13 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted November 26, 2014 - 09:41 PM

Im in Elkton and we got about 4 inches. I will prob. replace piston and rod. I hope I get time over the weekend to tear into it. 

Elkton?  I work in Harrisonburg, neighbor.  :thumbs:

It was a slushy snow.  The ol' Gravely had to sweat to push that stuff around. 

Ben W.

#14 cookie30 OFFLINE  

cookie30
  • 3 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted November 26, 2014 - 09:44 PM

Elkton?  I work in Harrisonburg, neighbor.  :thumbs:

It was a slushy snow.  The ol' Gravely had to sweat to push that stuff around. 

Ben W.

yep the big Elkton. yes it was wet and heavy.

• superaben said thank you

#15 cookie30 OFFLINE  

cookie30
  • 3 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted December 01, 2014 - 03:14 PM

well when I bought this 122 the po had changed motors cuz the carb on the original one was messed up, so he had a 126 that he cut up and junked everything but the motor and rear-end so he put the motor form the 126  on the 122 and that was it. I had to rewire it. So I went out sat and put the original motor back on and swapped carbs and she purrs like a kitten. I deff no the rod is broke in the other one but I haven't gotten it apart yet to see what else if anything is messed up. I be-leave they messed with the gov. or it broke inside just dont feel rite. Will keep y'all up dated on the progress.

• KennyP said thank you