• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OldAllis52 OFFLINE  

OldAllis52
  • Member No: 41205
  • 271 Thanks
  • 160 posts

Posted November 26, 2014 - 05:01 PM

I stumbled across a Swisher Big Mow today and I am thinking about making an offer on it. It looks to be all complete and original and garage kept. Does anyone know the value of one of these unique little mowers? I might need a new place to sleep if I bring another GT home though :rocker2:

• fogler12538 said thank you

#2 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,694 Thanks
  • 8,888 posts

Posted November 26, 2014 - 05:29 PM

I stumbled across a Swisher Big Mow today and I am thinking about making an offer on it. It looks to be all complete and original and garage kept. Does anyone know the value of one of these unique little mowers? I might need a new place to sleep if I bring another GT home though :rocker2:

You should be safe, it's only a lawn mower and doesn't take up much more room than a push mower. Good on flat lawns with lots of obstacles, crappy on uneven terrain.

Good condition used ones run around $250-$350 around here.

Early (Ride King) style:

56845684786768768576857856.jpg

Mid 70's through the 90's

453567456644666.jpg

Late 90's through end of build:

35753124324435.jpg

• Alc said thank you

#3 Doxey OFFLINE  

Doxey
  • Member No: 48959
  • 122 Thanks
  • 93 posts

Posted November 26, 2014 - 05:30 PM

I paid 200 for mine.  Needs repaint and some tlc, but runs great.  Weird little things.  I understand the worst part about them is the front drive.  Hard to get parts.

• panzersarebest said thank you

#4 thom OFFLINE  

thom
  • Member No: 33353
  • 305 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted November 26, 2014 - 08:00 PM

I've seen the early ones over the years, but never the newest ones. I want one of the late models.

#5 Doxey OFFLINE  

Doxey
  • 122 Thanks
  • 93 posts

Posted November 26, 2014 - 08:36 PM

About the latest ones, I googled swisher big mows, and it was said that the latest ones were so bad that dealers would not sell them.  That ended that type.  I do like the looks of them though.  I still would get one if I could, if cheap enough that is.

Edited by Doxey, November 26, 2014 - 08:41 PM.

#6 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,059 Thanks
  • 2,174 posts

Posted November 26, 2014 - 09:52 PM

Mine was on CL for a few days before I got to it.... $75 and in real nice shape.

20121227_202521.jpg
  • Alc and Cvans have said thanks

#7 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,895 posts

Posted November 26, 2014 - 11:11 PM

About the latest ones, I googled swisher big mows, and it was said that the latest ones were so bad that dealers would not sell them.  That ended that type.  I do like the looks of them though.  I still would get one if I could, if cheap enough that is.

bad as in how? what was so terrible about them?   I never had the newest version but have had several of the early ones and a couple of mid 70s-mid'90s ones. I went to a farm auction about 10 years ago that had about 10 of them in varying condition. And they had most of a hay wagon of nothing but Swisher parts. I brought home 2 or 3 of them and alot of those parts, some brand new.  I don't have much if any of that stuff any more.

Most were 32" cut  but this was the only place I have ever seen 40" versions. They had 2 of those complete and looked runnable. they had the carcass of a 3rd 40" version. 

The old farmer had died and had a huge yard and these were all that he'd used to mow that big lawn for over 30 years. He had all the versions, the newest ones had a fiberglass hood and the guy had taken a sawzall and cut about 1/2 of it away. All the old early ones had the hoods removed (the ones that had the gas tank built into the engine shroud) He wanted to see the front wheel as he mowed, and not have to look around the hood.   Yeah he had the hoods to every mower, still, saved in the loft of one of the barns, a couple got put back with machines and others were on that hay rack full of parts.

#8 Doxey OFFLINE  

Doxey
  • 122 Thanks
  • 93 posts

Posted November 26, 2014 - 11:24 PM

bad as in how? what was so terrible about them?   I never had the newest version but have had several of the early ones and a couple of mid 70s-mid'90s ones. I went to a farm auction about 10 years ago that had about 10 of them in varying condition. And they had most of a hay wagon of nothing but Swisher parts. I brought home 2 or 3 of them and alot of those parts, some brand new.  I don't have much if any of that stuff any more.

Most were 32" cut  but this was the only place I have ever seen 40" versions. They had 2 of those complete and looked runnable. they had the carcass of a 3rd 40" version. 

The old farmer had died and had a huge yard and these were all that he'd used to mow that big lawn for over 30 years. He had all the versions, the newest ones had a fiberglass hood and the guy had taken a sawzall and cut about 1/2 of it away. All the old early ones had the hoods removed (the ones that had the gas tank built into the engine shroud) He wanted to see the front wheel as he mowed, and not have to look around the hood.   Yeah he had the hoods to every mower, still, saved in the loft of one of the barns, a couple got put back with machines and others were on that hay rack full of parts.

I really can't remember where I read about them being bad, it's been about 2 years ago.  I'll go and  try to  find that site again.  I'm sure it was a garden tractor site.  Will get back if I find it.  The guy seemed to know what he was talking about, like many here on this site.

#9 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,473 Thanks
  • 5,009 posts

Posted November 27, 2014 - 12:30 AM

On a small yard they are the bee's knees. On a large yard you better pack a lunch because they are slow. The two speeds are slow and the older single speeds are slower yet. If you get one with the ratchet starter make sure it starts good or you will have one arm that looks like Popeye's. I mowed with these for years and don't remember any of the mechanics breaking down. The front gear box uses a special grease and should not be filled with regular grease. 

Edited by Cvans, November 27, 2014 - 12:30 AM.

#10 OldAllis52 OFFLINE  

OldAllis52
  • Member No: 41205
  • 271 Thanks
  • 160 posts

Posted November 29, 2014 - 02:48 PM

I went back and looked at the mower yesterday and it was one of the late nineties models. The guy says he does not want to sell it at this time but he would call me. I get the feeling he is trying to find out a worth for it before he prices it.

• Cvans said thank you