Another Snowblower

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 thom OFFLINE  

• Member No: 33353
  • 305 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted November 25, 2014 - 10:10 PM

This might belong in the walk behind section, but it's not even a tractor so here it is. I picked up this Atlas 18" snowblower today.It has a 4HP Briggs engine. Everything appears to be in good shape with very little wear showing. The gas tank that bolted to the bottom of the carb is missing , but I think I have one tucked away. If not I will "borrow" the one off of my Merry tiller. The spring in the recoil needs to be replaced.After a quick cleaning of the points it has good strong ,blue spark at the plug. I cannot find the info to date the engine by the serial number. The number is 6806187. Can anyone tell me the year it was made? Thanks.

• Bill56, Gabriel, propane1 and 1 other said thanks

#2 superaben OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted November 25, 2014 - 10:59 PM

I have an Atlas push mower.  They are heavy built mowers, so if the snowblower is anything like what I have, it must be a-ok! 

The engine was made in 1968 if the serial number is right. 

Ben W.

• Bill56 and chieffan have said thanks

#3 ol' stonebreaker OFFLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,262 Thanks
  • 948 posts

Posted November 25, 2014 - 11:00 PM

Nice find. I tried the old Atlas 24" 2 stage I rescued and I have some more gov adjusting to do and check the RPM. It barely throws dry snow out the chute w/ a new blower drive belt. The rubber on the friction wheel was cracked a little and by luck after some web research found an MTD wheel that is an exact replacement.

Changing the subject I want to see a pic of the Ford P/U!! I think it's a Ford judging by the tail light.

• propane1 and chieffan have said thanks

#4 Bill56 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted November 26, 2014 - 06:52 AM

Great looking blower! Thank you for sharing the photos.

Ditto on the P/U photo request!

#5 cpg OFFLINE  

• Member No: 57994
  • 244 Thanks
  • 147 posts

Posted November 26, 2014 - 08:07 AM

The Briggs engine code denotes the production date

The first two digits are year:

6806187 = 1968

The next two denote month:

6806187 = June

The next two denote day:

6806187 = 18th

The last digit is just a code for which plant is what manufactured at:

So the engine is from June 1968, the equipment production date is usually within a year of that time so figure 1968-1969 for the blower

I believe it was in 1961? that they went to this system and it works for all engines after that. For engines with an older serial number and not this code system you have to go on their website and they have links of places to go to look up engine year by model and serial number.

Since a lot of the older GT companies had bad records or they are lost this is usually how I date my equipment.

Edited by cpg, November 26, 2014 - 08:13 AM.

#6 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,502 Thanks
  • 6,372 posts

Posted November 26, 2014 - 02:52 PM

I used to work at True Value in 70's and 80's and we sold their brand or sometimes came in as Atlas in winter. Had a couple sizes I recall and always looked well made.  Single stage was the worst part of them. Later as dual stage got more popular and those little 2-stroke plastic ones, sales went way down on these models.

#7 thom OFFLINE  

• 305 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted November 26, 2014 - 03:19 PM

I knew that numbering system worked for later engines, but wasn't sure about 60s models. Thanks.

#8 thom OFFLINE  

• 305 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted November 27, 2014 - 09:30 AM

I am trying to figure out what this springy clip/latch is for. There must be something missing ? I took some more , daytime, pics. They are still "before" pics as I have not cleaned it up yet.

I was suprised at how clean the engine is , even behind the sheetmetal . But then I realized that a snowblower , unless the engine leaks oil, should be clean because it would not be used under dusty, dirty conditions like a mower or tractor. This machine doesn't even have an aircleaner. The carb intake is shielded by the metal cover that attaches under three head bolts.

• MH81 said thank you

#9 thom OFFLINE  

• 305 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted November 27, 2014 - 12:58 PM

OK, now I know what the latch thingy is for. The tank ,which I don't have' has a flange around the middle, where the top and bottom half of the tank are put together. The clip holds the metal cover down by holding onto the flange. I have a tank coming today.