18 replies to this topic

#16 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 8,996 Thanks
  • 6,167 posts

Posted November 26, 2014 - 11:46 AM

You guys getting the snow ought to be thankful your getting a good ground cover.  Snow is insulation.  Keeps the frost from going 3 foot deep.  Last year we had only enough to cover the ground for a few days and then it was gone.  Bitter cold sent the frost down 30 inches and froze up all kinds of water lines AND sewer systems -- mine included.  Back hoe could not get through the frost to work on any of them.  45 days and over a grand later we finally got a sewer system back working.  So don't complain about the snow cover.  It really does have a positive purpose.  We got about 1/2" of wet heavy snow with no ice under foot.  Easy going to get the chores done.

• EricR and propane1 have said thanks

#17 propane1 OFFLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 8,116 Thanks
  • 3,925 posts

Posted November 27, 2014 - 07:57 PM

I understand that things can be much worse. We are very lucky not to get what some of you get in the states. Just making conversation , not complaining. We only get snow storms mostly , no to much in the way of earthquakes, tornados, etc. Noel
  • KennyP said thank you

#18 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 9,185 Thanks
  • 5,620 posts

Posted November 27, 2014 - 10:22 PM

You guys getting the snow ought to be thankful your getting a good ground cover. Snow is insulation. Keeps the frost from going 3 foot deep. Last year we had only enough to cover the ground for a few days and then it was gone. Bitter cold sent the frost down 30 inches and froze up all kinds of water lines AND sewer systems -- mine included. Back hoe could not get through the frost to work on any of them. 45 days and over a grand later we finally got a sewer system back working. So don't complain about the snow cover. It really does have a positive purpose. We got about 1/2" of wet heavy snow with no ice under foot. Easy going to get the chores done.

How deep do you typically put water lines in your area? All the ones me and dad did for his house are 42".

Not sure what mine are as I didn't do them. Assuming the standard 36"

#19 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 35,769 Thanks
  • 44,550 posts

Posted November 28, 2014 - 08:00 AM

I understand that things can be much worse. We are very lucky not to get what some of you get in the states. Just making conversation , not complaining. We only get snow storms mostly , no to much in the way of earthquakes, tornados, etc. Noel

Yeah, down here not much snow. But plenty of the other things!

• propane1 said thank you