LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,618 Thanks
  • 7,662 posts

Posted November 25, 2014 - 12:13 PM

My daughter is letting me use her new Mac!

Yikes! This thing is really hard to steer, and the brakes don't work at all!!! I'd rather use a JD.

• Alc, KennyP, superaben and 3 others have said thanks

#2 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,798 Thanks
  • 2,197 posts

Posted November 25, 2014 - 05:13 PM

it gets easier. like borrowing someones car,you gotta figure out where all the knobs and gauges are. 

• LilysDad said thank you

#3 richwoodrocket OFFLINE  

richwoodrocket

16 year old JD lover

• Contributor
  • Member No: 57205
  • 147 Thanks
  • 177 posts

Posted November 25, 2014 - 05:22 PM

I have mixed feelings about macs. As much as the apple fanboy in me screams Mac, there are programs that just don't run on os x. That's my biggest problem with it. It would take a while to get used to os x coming from a pc though.

Sent from my potato using Tapatalk

#4 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,704 Thanks
  • 8,894 posts

Posted November 25, 2014 - 06:34 PM

I recently read a tutorial that should help a ton...... where'd it go?..................here it is:

Pale Moon is a folk off of FF and is open source.  Instead of features it concentrates more on speed and stability.  I heard about it over on the PCLOS forums and when FF came out with the Ad's in a new tab I decided to give it a try.  Once I moved over my FF profile the only way I can tell the difference is the speedI might have to give it a shot. I have been messing with running linux again on the home pc. The server is running centos and uses the Yum package manager. I wanted to run something redhat based on the home pc so the commands would be similar but other than fedora nothing really appeals. I just installed elementaryos last night and so far I am really liking it which is based off of Ubuntu. I would prefer though if it was based right off of debian.

I've read some really good reviews on Centos.  A lot of folks like it better then Red hat.  I've tired originally Red hat and now Fedora but just never could get into them.  I have mostly stayed with Debian distro's and found they have worked the best for me, Until now.

I am currently running PCLOS and have been very happy with it.  I ran Ubuntu Distro's for quite some time but decided I wanted something a bit different.  I read a review on distro watch and decided to look into it.  I kept hearing about how friendly their forums were and since this is like my extended family decided to give it a try.  It is RPM based like fedora but their heritage is from Mandiver (sp?).  So far it has been rock solid stable and it's a rolling release distro. Which rolling releases tend to be unstable. It came with just about all the software I needed, I did have a few favorites that I found in the repositories and community can request packages be added to the repositories and also has a lot of input in the direction the distro is going.  The updating is a bit different.  You get an orange ball in your system tray and then launch Synaptic and do a refresh then mark all to be updated and hit the go button.  To update Libreoffice, cailbre and VM there is a manager for each you use.

I haven't read any thing on ElementaryOS so let me know how it goes.When you say PCLOS is it PC LInux OS? I was on their site and checking it out. I might have to give it a try. I do like rolling releases and like the fact it is rpm based. I honestly don't care for Ubuntu anymore. I think they have gone the wrong direction and I also can't stand gnome3 or the unity thing.Yes PCLOS is short for PCLinuxOS.  I have to agree with you on gnome3 and Unity, I think Cannical (sp?) is trying to do the same thing M$ is doing with windows 8.  Trying to make one OS fit all and personally I can't see a desktop OS can be any good on mobile device and a mobile OS working well on a desktop.  Give PCLOS a try I think you may be pleasently surprised.

#5 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted November 25, 2014 - 08:18 PM

If you don't know what you are doing, get off the road, Jack!

Ben W.

• LilysDad said thank you

#6 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,618 Thanks
  • 7,662 posts

Posted November 25, 2014 - 08:27 PM

:watch_over_fence:  :oh_shucks:  :ah_shoot:

#7 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,700 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted November 25, 2014 - 10:07 PM

Sounds like you are now well versed Cat and should be able to help LilysDad with any problem he may have with the Mac.  Gosh your smart!

• MH81 and KennyP have said thanks

#8 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,618 Thanks
  • 7,662 posts

Posted November 26, 2014 - 08:38 AM

I recently read a tutorial that should help a ton...... where'd it go?..................here it is:

Pale Moon is a folk off of FF and is open source.  Instead of features it concentrates more on speed and stability.  I heard about it over on the PCLOS forums and when FF came out with the Ad's in a new tab I decided to give it a try.  Once I moved over my FF profile the only way I can tell the difference is the speedI might have to give it a shot. I have been messing with running linux again on the home pc. The server is running centos and uses the Yum package manager. I wanted to run something redhat based on the home pc so the commands would be similar but other than fedora nothing really appeals. I just installed elementaryos last night and so far I am really liking it which is based off of Ubuntu. I would prefer though if it was based right off of debian.

I've read some really good reviews on Centos.  A lot of folks like it better then Red hat.  I've tired originally Red hat and now Fedora but just never could get into them.  I have mostly stayed with Debian distro's and found they have worked the best for me, Until now.

I am currently running PCLOS and have been very happy with it.  I ran Ubuntu Distro's for quite some time but decided I wanted something a bit different.  I read a review on distro watch and decided to look into it.  I kept hearing about how friendly their forums were and since this is like my extended family decided to give it a try.  It is RPM based like fedora but their heritage is from Mandiver (sp?).  So far it has been rock solid stable and it's a rolling release distro. Which rolling releases tend to be unstable. It came with just about all the software I needed, I did have a few favorites that I found in the repositories and community can request packages be added to the repositories and also has a lot of input in the direction the distro is going.  The updating is a bit different.  You get an orange ball in your system tray and then launch Synaptic and do a refresh then mark all to be updated and hit the go button.  To update Libreoffice, cailbre and VM there is a manager for each you use.

I haven't read any thing on ElementaryOS so let me know how it goes.When you say PCLOS is it PC LInux OS? I was on their site and checking it out. I might have to give it a try. I do like rolling releases and like the fact it is rpm based. I honestly don't care for Ubuntu anymore. I think they have gone the wrong direction and I also can't stand gnome3 or the unity thing.Yes PCLOS is short for PCLinuxOS.  I have to agree with you on gnome3 and Unity, I think Cannical (sp?) is trying to do the same thing M$ is doing with windows 8.  Trying to make one OS fit all and personally I can't see a desktop OS can be any good on mobile device and a mobile OS working well on a desktop.  Give PCLOS a try I think you may be pleasently surprised.

Thanks . . .   I think!

#9 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,602 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted November 29, 2014 - 10:10 PM

Here is my suggestion for a new to mac user - give yourself 2-4 weeks to learn OS X and don't overthink it.  Been a Mac user since 2005 and struggled with transition myself. Remember that most windows short-cut key combinations work on a Mac using the "command" key instead of the control key on a PC.  Also, remember to "command - q" to quit an application as simply selecting the red icon at the upper left side of a window only closes the window and not the application.

Any questions, let me know.

• NUTNDUN said thank you

#10 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted November 30, 2014 - 09:23 AM

One of these days I will buy a Mac. More than likely it will be a Macbook though. If you didn't have to go through so much configuration to get OSX running on a non apple branded pc I would give it a go. 

#11 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,700 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted November 30, 2014 - 09:37 AM

One of these days I will buy a Mac. More than likely it will be a Macbook though. If you didn't have to go through so much configuration to get OSX running on a non apple branded pc I would give it a go. 

There is a reason for that.

• NUTNDUN said thank you

#12 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts