• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#46 Dpregs OFFLINE  

Dpregs
  • Member No: 51663
  • 72 Thanks
  • 100 posts

Posted December 30, 2014 - 08:16 AM

Okay, I looked online and saw the parts.  Don't really need them until spring rolls around, so I will start refurbing the deck and go from there.  But thanks as always Kenny!

• KennyP said thank you

#47 Dpregs OFFLINE  

Dpregs
  • 72 Thanks
  • 100 posts

Posted January 02, 2015 - 08:24 AM

So, I think I am going to add a detachable LED Flood light for when I am plowing, I am going to put in a quick disconnect and then just pop it on the hood with a strong magnet.

BUT, I want to put in tail lights, BUT, where do you guys find tail lights?  Anything you have found that works or not?

Should I make this it's own thread?

• Sawdust said thank you

#48 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted January 02, 2015 - 10:40 AM

Glad you got everything working
That low gear problem sounded serious for awhile. I was just looking at Wally World at some tail ligts. They have about three styles & LED too. Glad your going with a magnet light I hate to see holes in a hood. I bought a cub that the PO fastened a big cutoff plastic cup on the fender with a sheet metal screw to hold his soft drink :(

#49 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,322 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted January 02, 2015 - 12:55 PM

They have those super bright LED strips at Auto Zone. Am thinking about getting those for the back of the ones that may be on the road plowing or snow blowing.

#50 GT-Fever-VA OFFLINE  

GT-Fever-VA
  • Member No: 63826
  • 1 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted January 04, 2015 - 10:36 AM

So, I think I am going to add a detachable LED Flood light for when I am plowing, I am going to put in a quick disconnect and then just pop it on the hood with a strong magnet.

BUT, I want to put in tail lights, BUT, where do you guys find tail lights?  Anything you have found that works or not?

Should I make this it's own thread?

Wonder where you got the idea for the magnetic LED floodlight...?  Maybe from me after we installed the drilled unit in my tractor!!!   :wallbanging:

#51 Dpregs OFFLINE  

Dpregs
  • 72 Thanks
  • 100 posts

Posted January 04, 2015 - 01:37 PM

We didn't drill a thing! That hole was there!

#52 Dpregs OFFLINE  

Dpregs
  • 72 Thanks
  • 100 posts

Posted January 16, 2015 - 09:04 AM

Well I finally got around to doing some more work this week with it being midterms week.  Got done early with that and coaching, so to the garage I went to try and finish up adding my flood light.  My goal was to add a detachable flood light to the hood.  I knew I didn't want to drill any holes, so I picked up a cheap magnet at Harborfreight that has 90lbs of holding force.  I then picked up some quick disconnects, switch, and a flood light from Amazon.  All in all I am in for under $50.  My original goal was for the switch only to be powered when the key is in the run/on position, but after a few tries I decided to run direct from the battery to the switch.

I began by attaching the light to the base and seeing if I could get a quick disconnect location without having to drill a new hole.  Luckily the quick connects just fit through the vents in the top of the hood!  I decided to create a long wire off the flood light and run it back to a quick connect attached under the hood.

Light on the base and side pic of the adjustment:

light.jpg lightbase.jpg  lightadjust.jpg

Light Specs:

lightspecs.jpg

Light and harness with quick connect.  I soldered the wires together rather than a butt connector, then shrinked them:

quickconnect.jpg

Once I had the light on the base and the harness created, I had to find a place for the switch to go.  I thought about a simple toggle switch that I could hide somewhere, but I knew this wasn't going to be a show piece, it is a 1985 GT after all!  SO, I did it, I cut into the dash!  I measured the opening of the switch and then made a cardboard template, found the location I wanted it in after looking to a few places.  I decided to put it right next to the current light switch.  I traced the hole, drilled the corners and dremeled out what I could.  I finished off the finer points with a utility knife, trying very hard not to slice too far, tighter is better.

Switch:

switch.jpg

Switch hole:

switchhole.jpg

Switch installed:

switchin.jpg

Now that I had the switch in, and the wiring ready to go on it, I had to hook up power.  I ran red and black to red and black on the battery and then hook up the harness.  I am undecided what I will do with the harness, I might drill into the firewall and zip tie it there, but for now it is just loose under the hood.

Behind Panel Wiring:

wiringmess1.jpg

Loose quick connect underhood:

lightharnessunder.jpg

I finally got everything hooked up.  I slipped the quick connect through the vent hold and connected it.  I attached the flood base to the front of the hood and went for it!  WoW!

Here is the Switch when it is on:

switchon.jpg  switchon2.jpg

I forgot to take pics of the flood when on, but here is a video:

Here is a video of the ammeter (I did JUST install a new battery, it wasn't fully charged):

Attached Thumbnails

• lightharness.jpg
  • lighthood2.jpg
  • lightonhood.jpg

• KennyP said thank you

#53 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,735 posts

Posted January 16, 2015 - 09:11 AM

Nice installation. I fixed the one pic you had double posted for you.

• Dpregs said thank you

#54 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,322 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted January 17, 2015 - 10:31 AM

It made you giggle huh? :rolling:
I get that, I really do.

Nice light, always good to be able to see.