#1 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,652 Thanks
  • 6,469 posts

Posted November 24, 2014 - 09:28 PM

I've sometimes thought about a generator.  I could keep my boiler running in the house with just enough to run the controls at least, maybe for some lights too then. I don't understand the capacity's of gens and wattages and such needed. I guess one should have disconnect system to keep from damage when power comes on and etc. The boiler is just plugged in to reg 120 outlet for controls and could be plugged into gen, but would have to have gen setting outside door then?  Garage is right there also, could run in there, a little better with door open?

NOW, see lots of generators listed as INvertors.  So what does that mean? Invertors to me mean changing AC to DC or vise versa. What does that have to do with generators?  This just some New Term and nothing really different, or is this a whole new type machine? 

What size is reccommended to hook up whole house to run frig and 220volt well pump and the lights? How much is it too have the switch-over system installed to use the gens? Should one just build a little shack outside to house it in?  With the limited use of said gen, do they just go bad setting around waiting for  the moment to run?  That is my beef, expensive to put in, yet just sits and decays when not being used. That is why I think I don't want one. But, as said to run my boiler for the hot water heat in house, so it don't freeze in walls and break, might be a choice I should make.

#2 Kmac1 OFFLINE  

Kmac1
  • Member No: 62275
  • 521 Thanks
  • 221 posts

Posted November 24, 2014 - 09:41 PM

I use an invertor in my pickup, it converts 12v to 110-120 so i can run my laptop and printer and other 11-120v equipment I may have. Really don;t know about one for the house.

#3 lyall ONLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,746 Thanks
  • 1,398 posts

Posted November 24, 2014 - 09:58 PM

an inverter 12 volts dc to 120 volts ac (any device for converting a direct current into an alternating current)

an inverter is something like a transformer

if you had a solar collector with batteries for storage and you need to run things in your house then the inverter changes the voltage.

the best way to run a generator is to have a transformer connected to the generator and the outlets connected to the transform.

why?  because the transform take the load, not the generator.  So that the generator runs easier

Edited by lyall, November 24, 2014 - 09:58 PM.

#4 Coventry Plumber OFFLINE  

Coventry Plumber
  • Member No: 60643
  • 1,031 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted November 24, 2014 - 10:05 PM

You are right on all aspects I'd say. I have a 8000watt generator which can run the well pump , boiler, Refrigerator , TV and some lights with that said the power hasn't gone out more than once since I got it. Seem like all I do is run it now and then , fill and drain gas each time. I hope I don't need it but if power goes out in January I'm safe at least. It is useful when working to far from power on the property or taking to work if need be. Final answer ( worth having)
  • tinbender7, glgrumpy and Sawdust have said thanks

#5 Arti OFFLINE  

Arti
  • Member No: 11282
  • 1,288 Thanks
  • 962 posts

Posted November 24, 2014 - 10:36 PM

Inverter generators are generally 3-phase generators that output AC current like most traditional generators, but that current is then converted to DC, and then “inverted” back to clean AC power that maintains a single phase, pure sine wave at the required voltage and frequency. If you run sensitive electronics and want an efficient quiet generator they are the best you can invest in.

To run a typical Boiler a couple of lights  look at something in the 2000 watt category,  Add on a refrigerator, sump pump etc.  you are looking at 4 to 5 thousand watts.

Edited by Arti, November 24, 2014 - 10:36 PM.

• Alc, glgrumpy and Kmac1 have said thanks

#6 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted November 24, 2014 - 10:50 PM

your going to need a pretty big invertor to get a 220 pump to work right with out burning it out. Depending on how many motors and what size they are on your boiler you could get a 2000 watt invertor and a couple of car battery's and be set. You will have to have something to recharge the batteries in place. They should last you 4 to 8 hours, after that you would be better off going to a full genset, installing a transfer switch and sleeping in peace. I would suggest you look into an LP fired genset, as they can sit indefinitely and not suffer from fuel problems. Most good genset hookups are set up to be fired up once a month to keep the starting battery charged and keep the system working ok.

#7 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted November 25, 2014 - 12:48 AM

I've heard of guys pulling wires out of the furnace box and plugging them straight into an extension cord off the generator.  Totally ghetto but it seems to work.

Knew a woman who ran an air furnace off a Jeep somehow, probably involved a separate inverter but never looked.

You don't want to 'backfeed' the extension cord into a wall socket, can zap a line worker when they come by to fix the light pole

For well pump you'll need 5500-up watts, those have 220 to run a pump, use a lot of gas, loud, heavy to roll around etc.

I use a 2200w only has 110, much better on gas, heat with a wood stove hook up a couple fans to blow the heat around the house.  Fill up the tub beforehand or melt snow on the stove, runs lights, radio, t.v.  after a couple days of that the wife gets cranky for a shower tho, good luck

• glgrumpy said thank you

#8 petrj6 OFFLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 2,219 posts

Posted November 25, 2014 - 05:42 AM

Do your research carefully and look in to the locale laws, here in ny it is illegal to have a back up generator hooked up without a transfer switch.  if the power line workers get hurt in any way and they find a generator in the area hooked up without that switch then they assume you were liable for the accident !!!!!! and you can get sued !!!!

I have a 5000w generator that I use, I run a few cords in thru the basement wall to run the fridge and freezers if the power is out to long, I heat with a wood stove so that is not a big concern for me.  I really just worry about the frozen stuff. 

• Auburn David said thank you

#9 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,447 Thanks
  • 6,612 posts

Posted November 25, 2014 - 06:37 AM

Inverter generators are generally 3-phase generators that output AC current like most traditional generators, but that current is then converted to DC, and then “inverted” back to clean AC power that maintains a single phase, pure sine wave at the required voltage and frequency. If you run sensitive electronics and want an efficient quiet generator they are the best you can invest in.

Thanks for the explanation , I thought it was something like that , started DC then changed to AC . Is that how they can get them to just idle down  for low  current draws , then rpm up when more load is put on ?  My old little 1500 watt Homelite just screams no matter if there is any load on it though you can hear the governor open the throttle to compensate for higher loads when needed to keep the rpm's up , guessing 3600 ?  

Edited by Alc, November 25, 2014 - 06:38 AM.

#10 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted November 25, 2014 - 07:25 AM

Gas generator ratings are suspect as well. A lot of consumer grade portable gen sets are rated in peak output and the continuous rating is lower. Also many of them are not built to run in continuous duty for long periods of time. They can be expensive to run as well and you need to keep a  lot of gas on hand if you plan to use it for a long period of time. Having a small inverter type in addition to a large unit is a good strategy imo. Something at 2kw that will run any 115v small appliance, fridge, microwave etc and will idle down when loads are low would prove very useful and use much less fuel than running a larger unit with a 13hp motor roaring away at 3600 rpms. I have a 7.2kw PTO driven unit powered by a diesel tractor. It uses about 2.5-3 quarts of fuel/hr. That is better than gas powered portable units but still runs into a lot of fuel if you need it for more than a day or 2.

• Alc said thank you

#11 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,652 Thanks
  • 6,469 posts

Posted November 25, 2014 - 08:25 AM

Thanks everyone on some info of these. the wattage thing was where I was really lost. Arti, think your explanation is what I was thinking it would be, but wasn't sure, so was asking.  Old Ford, the wires out of box into a cord is almost what I was thinking to run my boiler. Was thinking of making the box with big switch to go from house feed to gen feed and disconnecting each when not used. I have seen contractors run a wire off one side of two diff outlet circuits to make a 220 feed for saw or machines. Guess it is the same, but have to watch the wires from being pulled or kicked around!  Think I'll look into 2000 size or little bigger then, study them a bit. Honda seems to be a good one, is there any other recommended?

#12 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,618 Thanks
  • 7,662 posts

Posted November 25, 2014 - 10:14 AM

It,s a person who thinks up new stuff !!!

#13 Sparky OFFLINE  

Sparky

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1574
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted November 25, 2014 - 07:26 PM

Or the offspring from a 60's entertainment couple .

#14 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,618 Thanks
  • 7,662 posts

Posted November 25, 2014 - 08:02 PM

Or the offspring from a 60's entertainment couple .

Ummmh . . .     are you talking Sonny and Cher?

#15 Sparky OFFLINE  

Sparky

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1574
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted November 26, 2014 - 06:14 PM

Maybe .... there are other possibilities .