• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Jazz ONLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 950 posts

Posted November 24, 2014 - 02:28 PM

I am considering buying a second sears tractor. It is advertised as a good running 11HP tractor with a snowblower. The owner says the transaxle is "blown" Is it a big deal to replace. Are the parts common or rare. Any comments welcome as I am very new to GT's. Here's a pic of the one I am looking at, seller priced at $100.00

I currently have a

Sears SS/16
room for more!

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

• MountainMichael said thank you

#2 Bmerf OFFLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted November 24, 2014 - 09:39 PM

Not in the same class as SS/16, but a decent machine none the less.

Vertical shaft engine, possibly with the weird stepped crankshaft. Check the pulley on the engine for looseness. The stepped crankshaft used a very small key to hold pulley and over time may have destroyed the keyway.

I have had a few that were similar, never had a issue with the transaxle, some of these didn't even have a transaxle. They had a small 3 speed transmission with chain drive down to the rear axle. 

Replacement parts should be easy to obtain, many machines used the same components. But you are north of the border and it could be fairly rare in your area.

My take is: running motor $50+, rear weights $40-50, snow blower (assuming it has no issues) $100-150+.

Check around for a parts machine first. Then ask yourself if this is a common model that you can find parts for or possibly could sell if not. Last thing you want to do is have a machine that is worthless because imported parts are too expensive or have parts to sell that no one needs. 

• Jazz said thank you

#3 Jazz ONLINE  

Jazz
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 950 posts

Posted November 25, 2014 - 01:34 PM

Parts machines up here are rare,,they land at the scrap yard.  I attended the closing auction a small engine shop. What a mess...buildings were knee deep in parts,,you could not even walk into the buildings.. There were a few non running tractors that would have been possible candidates for restoration but my take on the auction was the scrappers were going to take most.. One outdoor pile was 10' high by 10' and 50' long....a pile of lawnmowers, outboards and tractors. Most everything selling in lots other than some snowblowers and very old outboards.. I talked to some small engine business owners who had recently bought much of the owners "good stock"

Thanks for your response.. I can get the tractor cheap enough... I would like the spare wheels,,wheel weights etc...Seller will deliver next time he is in my area

#4 Bmerf OFFLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted November 25, 2014 - 07:54 PM

I'm glad your going to get it. You maybe able to adapt the blower or stumble on to a transmission that will fit (there are many that will). Bad belt? I know it would have been added to my collection.

Do your scrap yards sell metal? The local scrap place will sell anything in the yard for $0.35 a pound, you remove. I have bought many pieces and parts very economically, but they only have what they have. Stock changes almost daily. Out with the old, in with the new. Just maybe another option to keep an eye out for.(reminds me I need to make the trip tomorrow)  

#5 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted November 26, 2014 - 07:01 AM

Not trying to pick a fight but the tractor isn't a Sears it is a Craftsman.  I fully realize that Sears sells the Craftsman tractors but they ain't the same animal.

#6 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,294 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted November 26, 2014 - 07:44 AM

While not in the same category as our Suburban, they were still nice mowers and obviously capable of running the blower. I would say that those Haban Built blowers are heavy, so be careful trying to move it around.

Finding a tranny should be doable. You might look to see what the tranny is and if any other brands used it, to know what to watch for.

#7 bgkid2966 OFFLINE  

bgkid2966

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8254
  • 1,407 Thanks
  • 1,327 posts

Posted November 26, 2014 - 09:44 AM

You might just check the trans and see if it is a simple repair not needing replacement. JMHO

Geno

#8 BushBoneYard OFFLINE  

BushBoneYard

• Member No: 6163
  • 36 Thanks
  • 70 posts

Posted November 30, 2014 - 07:49 AM

You mention being new to GT's, so I would like to mention that the machine pictured is a lawn tractor, built by Murray. That particular shell debuted in 1981 and ran through 1989 IIRC. Data plate/sticker may still be on the rear of the tractor, where you attach a cart. With the Briggs model/type/code we can pinpoint a year and either get an ipl from Sears or I can cross reference to the like Murray machine.

#9 Jazz ONLINE  

Jazz
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 950 posts

Posted December 09, 2014 - 07:15 PM

I'm glad your going to get it. You maybe able to adapt the blower or stumble on to a transmission that will fit (there are many that will). Bad belt? I know it would have been added to my collection.

Do your scrap yards sell metal? The local scrap place will sell anything in the yard for $0.35 a pound, you remove. I have bought many pieces and parts very economically, but they only have what they have. Stock changes almost daily. Out with the old, in with the new. Just maybe another option to keep an eye out for.(reminds me I need to make the trip tomorrow)  

A couple of our scrap yards sell,,one in particular will sell old GT's for instance,,he will name a price usually reasonable. I picked up a vintage 60's homelike 1500 watt generator from him couple years ago..cleaned out the fuel tank and lines and it fired right up,,no issues. I buy most of my steel there for other projects as I always have something on the go...

transmission crossmember I needed so had to build one

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_0283.jpg

#10 Jazz ONLINE  

Jazz
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 950 posts

Posted December 10, 2014 - 07:34 AM

Not trying to pick a fight but the tractor isn't a Sears it is a Craftsman.  I fully realize that Sears sells the Craftsman tractors but they ain't the same animal.

So the Craftsman tractor is the weaker ugly cousin of the Mighty Sears tractor. I guess they would both have their purpose,,one for mowing a city lot and the other  for mowing acres. Anyone know if the mower deck on my SS/16 twin will fit on the Craftsman tractor.  My current craftsman mower is a kick start that I decided to retire as the last couple years I have been mowing my lawn twice a week due to some idiot fertilizing my lawn.  I have yet to get the craftsman tractor.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2815.JPG

Edited by Jazz, December 10, 2014 - 07:44 AM.