The Old Case Comes Through Again

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 projectnut OFFLINE  

• Member No: 5067
  • 25 Thanks
  • 55 posts

Posted November 24, 2014 - 11:15 AM

As some of you may know I purchased an older (1980) Case 224 a few years ago to ease the work load on a piece of property we own.  Up till now the work has consisted of hauling fairly light loads of leaves and brush with a little mowing thrown in.

Over the last couple weeks it got a real workout and came through with flying colors.  We had to take down some oak trees a while ago and the intent was to use the wood in the fireplace.  Long story short it didn't work out as well as planned. 

It was time to get rid of the wood rather than have it rot in place.  I originally tried hauling it up a steep slope 1 piece at a time (the biggest tree was 42" in diameter at the base).  The entire area is covered in hardwood mulch about 6" - 8" deep and is quite soft.   After about 3 loads I knew this wasn't the answer so I hooked the trailer to the 224 and gave it a try.

I loaded about 1,000 lbs. into the trailer and started up the hill.  The first trip was a huge learning curve.  Even though I started out slow and steady the wheels started to spin at the softest and steepest points.  I had to stop and unload about half the wood just to make it up the hill.  The second trip was a little easier, and as time went on it became almost second nature. 

I quickly learned to keep the engine at about 1/2 throttle and use the hydraulic flow lever to control the wheel speed to as close to zero as possible.  With the wheels barely turning they never lost traction and were able to pull the 1,000+ lb.  loads up the steep hill with no trouble.  All in all there were 22 trips up the hill with loads of wood, and another dozen or so with the associated brush.  It took 7 loads with the truck and the  10,000 lb. capacity dual axle trailer to dispose of all the wood.

I don't think this task could have been accomplished with anything other than the hydraulic drive system on the Case machines.  I also have a JD with a locking rear drive axle, and a 4 wheel drive loader.  The loader was too big to fit between the remaining trees, and the JD wouldn't go slow enough to maintain traction.

Score a huge victory for the Case 224.

• Justin2655, HANKG, GlenPettit and 1 other said thanks

#2 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 61865
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted November 24, 2014 - 11:49 AM

That gives me some hope that the Ingersol 6018 I am working on will be strong,and worth the time I am putting into it..they are similar machines arent they?

#3 Justin2655 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 11487
  • 204 Thanks
  • 148 posts

Posted November 24, 2014 - 11:51 AM

Good to hear the case came threw for ya! I bet it was deffantly interesting lol. I have a case 224 as well and after the garden tractors I have owned so far. My favortie is the 224. It has enoigh power for when you need it. Dont burn to much fuel. And pretty good tracttion. I'm.very happy with it. If I ever find another one around my area I'd like to have another one

Edited by Justin2655, November 24, 2014 - 12:21 PM.

#4 bobofthenorth OFFLINE  

• Member No: 59852
  • 6 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted November 24, 2014 - 05:16 PM

................ I'm.very happy with it. If I ever find another one around my area I'd like to have another one

That's actually the biggest problem with these little guys.  I bought a couple last fall - more or less scrap condition - barely runners - one is a 444 and the other a 446.  I nursed them through the summer and got the little Kohler running well enough to count on it.  This fall I replaced the Onan with a nearly new Linamar and did a quick and dirty paint job on the 446.  So what's the problem?  I can't figure out which one to get rid of.  My original intent was to fix one and sell the other but now I kind of plan to keep them both.  Worse - if another one came along at the right price - I'd probably buy it too.  They're like rabbits that way.

• superaben, T Guiles and Auburn David have said thanks

#5 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 61865
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted November 24, 2014 - 05:33 PM

Mine has the loader and backhoe,I wish it had the removable backhoe and a PTO

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,745 Thanks
  • 2,721 posts

Posted November 24, 2014 - 06:15 PM

A case 155 has been my latest acquisition, so far so good it has a k301 12hp instead of its original k241 I have plow coming for it from Maine not easy to find. We'll see how it does in the NJ snow this winter.

#7 jabelman OFFLINE  

• Member No: 38843
  • 1,452 Thanks
  • 1,117 posts

Posted November 24, 2014 - 06:25 PM

Hank- better get that plow soon. 4-8" for Wednesday.
Yeah as i said in other posts the old 220 was one tough machine. The snowblower could really sling some snow

#8 superaben OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted November 24, 2014 - 11:30 PM

Gotta love a Case/Ingersoll!  :thumbs:

Ben W.

#9 Oldford OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 802 Thanks
  • 570 posts

Posted November 25, 2014 - 12:34 AM

Not to detract from the thread but i've found even a small pickup truck will twitch out full trees and plow heaps around a GT, not beat on the back, stay warm in the cab, etc.  As long as you have space in the yard for an old 4x4 can usually get one running for 500 bucks.

Having said that i'd like to have a case lo-pro to plow out the back woodpile, hydro lift is nice