5 replies to this topic

#1 adamscr OFFLINE  

adamscr

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2081
  • 1 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted February 24, 2011 - 07:58 PM

If starting a new thread on this subject is uncool please let me know.

I have an 1855 that has the drive shaft for the rear PTO missing. The lower pulley and idler/clutch are still intact. My guess is that the bearings went bad and instead of fixing it they just removed it. Anyway, I'd like to have it functional whether I use it or not. Kind of like having one white wall and the rest blackwall. All parts except for the shaft are available at Partstree for a few million $. Has anyone fabricated a shaft or maybe have a carcass laying around with this shaft? I need everything from the motor stub back. Thanks for any help!

Canie

#2 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 24, 2011 - 08:19 PM

If starting a new thread on this subject is uncool please let me know.

I have an 1855 that has the drive shaft for the rear PTO missing. The lower pulley and idler/clutch are still intact. My guess is that the bearings went bad and instead of fixing it they just removed it. Anyway, I'd like to have it functional whether I use it or not. Kind of like having one white wall and the rest blackwall. All parts except for the shaft are available at Partstree for a few million $. Has anyone fabricated a shaft or maybe have a carcass laying around with this shaft? I need everything from the motor stub back. Thanks for any help!

Canie

Starting a new thread is actually better, helps keep things more organized. I can't help with the pto shaft since I don't have one on my 1655 yet. Daniel has one I am going to be getting off of him to put the whole kit on. I don't think it would be too difficult to make a new shaft.

#3 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,608 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted February 24, 2011 - 08:50 PM

High bidder bidder!:bigrofl::bigrofl: :smilewink: Yes, George has a lock on the outfit I have. If I come across another I will let you know.

#4 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 24, 2011 - 09:03 PM

High bidder bidder!:bigrofl::bigrofl: :smilewink: Yes, George has a lock on the outfit I have. If I come across another I will let you know.

At the rate I am going you might be better selling it to someone else LOL

#5 adamscr OFFLINE  

adamscr

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2081
  • 1 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted February 25, 2011 - 09:41 AM

Perhaps when someone has some time and a tape measure in hand they could measure the diameter of the shaft and the diameter of the pulley. The hydro shaft is 1" and I suspect the PTO drive shaft is also. What kind of bearing is used in the rear? It appears to be some sort of self aligning unit and probably available at bearing stores. I was thinking of bolting a piece of 1.5" angle to the rear plate and setting a self aligning pillow-block on it. Is the stub from the engine a standard spline size? The coupling is available from partstree but too pricey for me.

Thanks,
Canie

#6 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,608 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted February 25, 2011 - 09:56 AM

I will get the measurements asap. Yes, a pillow block bearing would be the way to go. The OE bearings are quite expensive if even available. Do get a grease-able pillow block assembly. A few generic couplers were on ebay a while back, but not seen it lately...it was just $20 plus shipping.