• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted November 10, 2015 - 06:29 PM

With a cold, my appetite is off, but I gotta say a simple bowl of chicken noodle soup was awfully good tonight.

• oldedeeres said thank you

#422 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,519 Thanks
  • 39,737 posts

Posted November 10, 2015 - 06:57 PM

I'm eating a Deer roast!

• olcowhand said thank you

#423 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,879 Thanks
  • 3,203 posts

Posted November 14, 2015 - 11:17 PM

I butchered lambs last week, so tonight was Leg O' Lamb roast, sweet kale salad with poppy seed dressing and lots of dried sweet cranberries and pumpkin seeds sprinkled on top. Melted a little butter in a roaster and added little potatoes, carrots, onions, garlic, parsnips and rutabaga, shook them up so they were coated with butter, added crushed rosemary and thyme and baked the whole mess until they were all tender and browned. Will have left overs for three or four days, but that's fine with me. A nice mug of hot black tea and I didn't have room for dessert!

• KennyP, Jack and LilysDad have said thanks

#424 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,687 Thanks
  • 7,694 posts

Posted November 15, 2015 - 07:45 AM

You don't do the butchering by yourself, do you?

#425 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,519 Thanks
  • 39,737 posts

Posted November 15, 2015 - 10:55 AM

KY Plowday Chili is simmering in the crock pot! Gonna be yummy as always! Many thanks to Teresa (OCH's wonderful wife) for the recipe! I do change it a bit, but I like it a little spicy (crushed red pepper and Tobasco).

#426 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • 5,879 Thanks
  • 3,203 posts

Posted November 15, 2015 - 02:14 PM

Awww, com'on Rich, you should know me better by now than to ask that, lol. Of course I do. I figure if I can get them born and look after them and their moms all year, it's the least I can do for them to see that they are butchered at home by someone they are not afraid of. One careful shot with the .22 right between the eyes while they chow down on a few oats and it's all over. I have a cute little gambrel just made for small game like sheep or deer and hang them on the J.D. 4040 loader. It's a breeze to skin and gut them while they hang, and I use an electric chain saw to split them down the backbone. They are light enough, (about 40lbs./half ) for me to carry the halves into the cold shop and hang them for a week or so. Then I use a saws all to cut them up, wrap them first in plastic and then with waxed butcher paper, and into the freezer. Getting all the air out when wrapping is the key to keeping meat up to three years in the freezer without having them get stale or freezer burning. My Olde Deere and I used to do six in a day with no problem, but now I'm happy to do them one a day 'till they're all gone. Did six this year, but what with one thing and another I spread it out over almost two weeks. You know what they say about getting older, (and doing things alone) it takes twice as long to do half as much.

Edited by oldedeeres, November 15, 2015 - 02:18 PM.

• daytime dave, KennyP, Jack and 1 other said thanks

#427 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,687 Thanks
  • 7,694 posts

Posted November 15, 2015 - 04:35 PM

Thanks! I just thought it would be a bigger job than that.

#428 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,165 posts

Posted November 16, 2015 - 11:42 AM

Pardon me while I step out and get a bite to eat at Wendy's LOL, I just can't stand the smell or taste of lamb... Guess I never had it done correctly ?

#429 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • 5,879 Thanks
  • 3,203 posts

Posted November 16, 2015 - 09:55 PM

Partly the cooking, partly what the lambs were raised on, partly how the butchering and hanging was done. My sheep eat only the nicest alfalfa hay, sweet green grass, and oats. Makes a difference!

• daytime dave, KennyP and Jazz have said thanks

#430 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted November 16, 2015 - 09:58 PM

Tonight was fried pork chops, home canned green beans, real home mashed potatoes, and stovetop stuffing.  Let me tell ya....it was goooood!

• KennyP and oldedeeres have said thanks

#431 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted November 17, 2015 - 11:41 PM

In the theme of lamb, I crock potted a boneless leg of lamb today.  Olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, salt pepper and copious amounts of garden Rosemary made it delicious.  I roasted potatoes, carrots and onion in parsley for two hours, just before the lamb was done.  

It was a nice meal.  I'm on a diet, so this is all I ate. 

20151117_202412_zpsnrqsbxpe.jpg

• KennyP and oldedeeres have said thanks

#432 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,519 Thanks
  • 39,737 posts

Posted November 23, 2015 - 07:14 PM

I made sloppy joes for supper tonight! Yes the 'out of a can' kind. But i added in about a 1/3 of a 2" onion and one large jalapeño, about 2-1/2" long and 1-1/4 across! I dissected the pepper much like you would a bell pepper! Still had a bit of fire in it, but brought everything else out as well! I ate 4, which is above my usual fare. Pretty yummy!

#433 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • 5,879 Thanks
  • 3,203 posts

Posted January 09, 2016 - 12:34 PM

Due to a little, (read a LOT) of overindulgence around Christmas, it's get back in shape time. I make a nice soup, very tasty but almost lacking in calories, that uses more energy to digest than it delivers and will help you loose about four pounds a week if you eat a lot of it. I start with only enough butter in the soup pot to gently toast 2-3 cloves of crushed garlic. Add chopped onion, celery, shredded cabbage, chopped peppers, cauliflour, broccoli, fresh or canned green or yellow beans, tomatoes or tomato juice, and water enough to cook. You can mix and match all these veg. to suit your taste, but do not use dried beans, peas, or corn in any form. I also add chicken or beef bullion for flavour and sometimes a shot of sauerkraut to give it snap. If you eat this at least once a day, or as often as you feel hungry along with cutting back on bread, potatoes, and cutting out sugar, you'll never feel hungry. I find that if I have a big bowl of it first, I'm not even hungry for more of a meal. Basically you're cutting out carbs, sugar and fats, and if you broil your meats, you'll lose weight and feel full at the same time. That'll be my regime for the next week or so.
  • KennyP said thank you

#434 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,519 Thanks
  • 39,737 posts

Posted January 09, 2016 - 01:42 PM

Sounds pretty good!

#435 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • 5,879 Thanks
  • 3,203 posts

Posted January 28, 2016 - 12:47 AM

All the fresh caught walleye I could possibly eat, fresh fried potatoes and onions, dill pickles, and to follow, a tiny dish of vanilla ice cream with my own frozen raspberries on top. Mug of tea washed it all down. Everything but the tea and ice cream either grown or caught by yours truly.

• KennyP said thank you