• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,245 Thanks
  • 29,699 posts

Posted November 24, 2014 - 10:27 AM

TD99...90% of my tools are Craftsman, the rest are from Harbor freight.  I've never had an issue with broken tools from either place, but the HF are almost all impact sockets/extensions, not wrenches.  The statement to buy Craftsman BUT to buy a Snap-On or other higher end ratchet is a good piece of advice, though I've never had a problem with Sears replacing a worn ratchet.

I have that same Craftsman tool kit you mentioned, and it's a nice set.

• GTTinkerer, hamman, TokyoDrift99 and 1 other said thanks

#17 AfterShock95 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 63122
  • 420 Thanks
  • 365 posts

Posted November 24, 2014 - 12:16 PM

I have snap on some matco but mostly craftsman I have broke more 13 metric sockets then I care to think about a few 1/4 inch drive ratchets from abuse doing things I knew they were not designed for . All the names you have listed are good tools but why spend 80 bucks on a ratchet only if you can get a ratchet and sockets for the same 80 bucks and haveing the best tools in your tool box don't matter the skill to use those tools and do the job right is all that matters

Edited by AfterShock95, November 24, 2014 - 12:18 PM.

• GTTinkerer and hamman have said thanks

#18 Jazz OFFLINE  

• Member No: 62028
  • 1,354 Thanks
  • 889 posts

Posted November 24, 2014 - 02:02 PM

I would buy new Craftsman,,,unless you are patient and would like to buy premium vintage Craftsmen, sets on ebay all the time. I bought my Craftsman set 40 years ago 40 piece set for $89.00.  The new ones are not as good a quality but still better that rounding out a cheap off brand wrench on the side of the road. Cheap sockets are a never,,,they are prone to exploding. off brand breaker bars NO, you can snap the swivel right off those..if you really want to impress the torque wenches get a set of Cornwell Wrenches ...plenty on ebay as well. Craftsman is popular due to it being readily available in most areas.. Quality tools are never a waste of money.

Edited by Jazz, November 25, 2014 - 01:39 PM.

• hamman said thank you

#19 framesteer OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11301
  • 327 Thanks
  • 161 posts

Posted November 24, 2014 - 02:05 PM

Most all my tools are Craftsman.  I'm a little worried that Sears won't be around to warranty tools within my lifetime.

• GTTinkerer, hamman and propane1 have said thanks

#20 lyall ONLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,711 Thanks
  • 1,384 posts

Posted November 24, 2014 - 04:53 PM

if you are going to buy sockets set - get the impact sockets, both standard and deep sets

they are stronger and most are 6 point

the only problem is that sometime you need the socket to be thin walled

you will end up getting both the US and Metric sets someday

Oh - tools are just like collecting garden tractors

- alway need more

Edited by lyall, November 24, 2014 - 05:16 PM.

• Reverend Blair, hamman, Lauber1 and 2 others have said thanks

#21 T Guiles OFFLINE  

T Guiles
  • Member No: 39800
  • 952 Thanks
  • 749 posts

Posted November 24, 2014 - 05:26 PM

Looks like your getting some great advise, I use craftsman tools because you get the most bang for the buck, and all the money I save I can look for that next project. I even go to H.F. to get some tools that I'm not going to use that often like a 20 dollar saw zall. I can buy A LOT of them for the price of a Dewalt. The main thing is to keep the tools you buy in good condition and buy quality as you go, yard sales, auctions,and sale fliers are great ways to find awesome deals. good luck and let us know what you choose

• hamman said thank you

#22 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted November 24, 2014 - 05:44 PM

if you are going to buy sockets set - get the impact sockets, both standard and deep sets

they are stronger and most are 6 point

the only problem is that sometime you need the socket to be thin walled

you will end up getting both the US and Metric sets someday

Oh - tools are just like collecting garden tractors

- alway need more

Glad you brought up the 6 point thing, Lyall.  Likely the best piece of advice in sockets is to get 6 point, no matter the maker.  A lot easier on nuts and bolts and your knuckles.  I also get the air-tool ones...did I mention that I like to put a 6 foot steel bar on things? I've never broken an impact socket doing that. 

• GTTinkerer, hamman and lyall have said thanks

#23 Sawdust OFFLINE  

• Member No: 36549
  • 4,516 Thanks
  • 2,827 posts

Posted November 24, 2014 - 06:28 PM

I have a few Snap-On but like most have said I have mostly Craftsman. I would check around like on Craigslist or yard sales for good deals. Sears may have some good deals being close to Christmas.

• hamman said thank you

#24 MrMarty51 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 62893
  • 139 Thanks
  • 104 posts

Posted November 24, 2014 - 06:35 PM

I have mechanicked professionally for 31 years, I have some Snap On tools, the tools I use the very most is, My 1/4" drive set, that is a Smap On, I have yet to break anyone piece out of that set.

The next in line is the end wrenches and screwing drivers, those too are Snap On. I have yet to break an end wrench, I have broke and deformed and ground on My screwing driver bits to get them into a decent enough shape to get Me through until that truck comes back, every two weeks. I hand the man My broken sockets and screw drivers, He replaces the bits in the screw driver handle and replaces the wrenches and sockets. NO questions asked.

NOW, If I was Your age again, and wanting to get started buying tools, I would go with the less expensive brands. I know that Craftsman has came out with their "Professional Line" of tools, I do not know anything about them but, looking at those ratchets, I would say that they would do the job all right, along with their end wrenches and sockets. Some very nice looking equipment.

I just seen a Harbor Freight flyer the other day, they too have come out with their brand of Professional quality tools, those too might be very good.

When I took My Little White yard tractor/mower apart, the most used tools out of My tool boxes was that 1/4" drive socket set and the end wrenches to break loose the bolts and nuts and the 1/4 drives to remove them.

Another nice tool that I find Myself using more often is that "Dewalt Impact Driver". what a tool, takes them bolts and nuts off just fine but be careful wrenching them back on, it does`nt take much to over torque them.

Edited by MrMarty51, November 24, 2014 - 06:35 PM.

• hamman said thank you

#25 Lauber1 ONLINE  

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,424 Thanks
  • 2,785 posts

Posted November 24, 2014 - 07:03 PM

interesting thinking in this thread. As someone who uses there tools to repair big machinery all day, you need to get the ones that will hold up to that kind of work. I have all the bells and whistles, some came from Matco, others from Mac or Snappy. Even have the huge rolling box to put them all in.

Here's what we learned over the last 30 yrs. The tool trucks have cool tools and will carry you every week. Never have any trouble with them not coming around every week whether I owe them money or not. But tool trucks just come once a week, so if it breaks your out for the week, until he shows up, and will probably have to order the free replacement one. Now Craftsman is a fine name, well it used to be, but they seem to have fewer things under warranty now days and there stores seem far and few, if you need to run after something new or replacing. Now Im not the spokes person for any body expect me, but you could go to Menards and get a lot of S-K items, maybe some Allen things, or go to a farm stores like Blains or Orshelens, out here and get a lot cheaper, but perfectly good tools. The only trouble is they wont carry you on something that might cost you $400. I try not to be a tool collector, of having all the items that were ever offered for sale, but if I need it more than once, its in my box, and sometimes you have to make a tool out of another tool, so if your going to be bending it to reach around the corner, maybe you want to look at the less expensive ones. Also make sure you get more than one of any wrench smaller than 13/16th, your gona need them sooner or later.

• hamman, propane1 and MrMarty51 have said thanks

• Member No: 10038
  • 4,676 Thanks
  • 4,224 posts

Posted November 24, 2014 - 08:15 PM

I have mostly Craftsman tools. I received the 18" tool box loaded with tools for Christmas in 1972 and some have been replaced, some not, and some lost.

I agree the newer Craftsman ratchets are not as well built as the older ones, but they do replace them.

I have bought Craftsman tools at flea markets too!

• hamman and MrMarty51 have said thanks

#27 KennyP ONLINE  

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 27,661 Thanks
  • 39,046 posts

Posted November 24, 2014 - 08:25 PM

I do most of my tool shopping at pawn shops!

#28 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,342 Thanks
  • 1,455 posts

Posted November 24, 2014 - 09:39 PM

My toolbox has a bit of everything in it.  Most of them are Craftsman, but there is Snap-on, S-K, Proto, etc, etc, etc on down through the china stuff.  The craftsman have always treated me well and I have a sears about 15 minutes from my house to replace them if need be but it's not very often.  One thing nobody has mentioned is Carlyle tools that Napa sells.  We have a few of them at work and they seem to be good tools and our local Napa stands behind them VERY WELL.  Usually NO questions asked if we break something thats lifetime warranty.  Not sure where they are made but they seem to work.  I have started buying some of them myself as I need things for the service I get.  I would say to get what you can afford that gets you the most bang for your buck.  You're not out there making a living with them to afford the expensive stuff yet.  If you do need them in the future to earn a living and you want to upgrade brands it will be easier to do so in increments as they break.  Best to get the most you can get now with a decent quality then to get just a few tools that are expensive.

#29 superaben OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted November 24, 2014 - 11:01 PM

I have three sets of tools here. 

One set was my great-grandfathers, he owned a garage and bought his set of Herbrand back in the 1930's.  Herbrand died as a company in the 1980's I believe, but those old tools keep on trucking.  He also had Blackhawk and some Bonney.  I use them occasionally as the need arises, but most of the time they set shined up in a box.  They are heirlooms in my book.  My main workbench, though, was his.  It must weigh a ton and a half.  And I put that thing through war and back again.  It also is an heirloom, but it is a hard working one. 

Another set is my main working set.  It originated as an el cheapo set that I was planning to supplement the old heirloom tools with.  I then decided that el cheapo was too expensive.  That will happen to anyone who buys el cheapo. 

That main working set is now primarily Kobalt from Lowes.  I compared some of the Kobalt tools to the Snap-On tools along the way, back when I was carrying around a Kobalt socket set as my secondary socket set and happened to be standing next to a ~$25000 box of Snap-On tools.  My Kobalt ratchet was just as smooth and looked identical.  :wave:  It wasn't compared to the 100 tooth special that they sell (which is smoother than a soft serve on a hot day) but it was compared to that $300 one. 

The voice of experience spoke earlier.  I want to emphasize that.

The life of a tool is determined by the operator, not the tool itself. 

The corollary is that using a tool for the purpose it was intended for will not hurt it.  Using it as something it isn't designed for will.

Those Kobalt tools I have have had it rough.  They get worked.  The laser ID marks are long worn off.  But I have yet to break them, and the one ratchet I did break (yes, it was due to operator stupidity, but I swear it was the only way to break that bolt loose...)  was replaced no questions asked.  I even had to use a chrome thin wall socket as an impact socket for a certain project, and I tore that thing to shreds.  They replaced it too.  I might I have got lucky there, but... you never know.  They know they have to compete with the tool trucks too!

The final set I have is my secondary set.  It follows me around in the road truck.  It gets beat on, twisted up, used as prybars, and thrown at offensive rodents (and thats a fact, Jack.)  They are mostly Harbor Freight specials.  They are cheap on purpose.  I don't care if I loose one, and on the road I loose I few.  If I need a special tool, I make them.  I have a collection of curved, thin, and grossly manipulated wrenches for all sorts of special jobs!

Yes, I do own some Snap-On tools.  Primarily a set of chisels and punches, easy outs, and the like.  I have a need for replacements weekly.  Yes, the Snap-On rep hates me.  :D

Ben W.

• hamman, Sawdust, Bill 76 and 2 others have said thanks

#30 Oldford OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 802 Thanks
  • 570 posts

Posted November 25, 2014 - 12:12 AM

I still have some parts of the Craftsman sets bought 25 years ago to get started with 'serious' wrenching on my own.  Mostly 3/8 drive deep sockets and combo wrenches.  Also i have mostly deep sockets, they will do most of the jobs.  Don't count on any warranty, that mostly comes down to luck these days. 

as tools break/get lost, or when you need that 2nd 1/2-inch wrench or a 1/4" socket set or other specialty tools, you can get what feels good in the hand, those will become your go-to tools, the ones that feel good and don't slip.  Snap-on has excellent flanks on the open-ends of their combination wrenches.  Williams Super Wrench is another good one in the bigger sizes.  Mac and S-K are excellent additions to the box.  Napa and Proto are fine too, use what feels good, doesn't slip or break.  Often you can find high quality tools on ebay, i look for a guy selling off his garage or a buddy's garage to avoid stolen tools. 

Also check yard sales or guys selling bigger tools locally.  i bought a torch off a guy and got a full case of 1/2" metric deep impact sockets for a buck, and most of the 6pt sockets work on sae too.   good luck