Snap-On And Other Tool Truck Brands.

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 TokyoDrift99 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 59603
  • 80 Thanks
  • 112 posts

Posted November 23, 2014 - 11:53 PM

What do you guys think about Snap-on, Matco, Mac, etc. Christmas is coming up, and since I'm 15 and only work in the summer (spend most of my money on tractors) I am pretty broke. If I wanted to I could maybe get a small 3/8 rachet and socket set with the amount of money I have from snap-on. I am not asking for the new iPhone or whatever this Christmas, I want tools, and thats pretty much it. I want to get tools that last forever, I know craftsman has the same warranty as snap-on but I would rather buy a tool that doesn't break than have to waste 40mins of my day to drive to sears. Am I better off just getting a very limited number of snap-on tools, or some cheap craftsman tools? The 309 piece set from craftsman is about $180 from sears right now. I also want to hear your guy's general opinion of snap on and other tool truck brands.
  • hamman, tinbender7, GlenPettit and 2 others have said thanks

#2 Bill 76 OFFLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,627 Thanks
  • 1,040 posts

Posted November 24, 2014 - 12:44 AM

Google up each tool brand warranty problems and you will find lots of horror storys.I have about 80 percent snap on and the rest craftsmans and others,When I started buying snap on in the early 60s I was told their warranty was against anything except loss,well it seems they have changed that--a worn out tool is not covered--bad chrome is not covered--must be ornginal buyer--be able to prove you bought it.Yeah they changed the rules in middle of the game.

Craftsman used to make  great tools but I heard that some are now made in china. 

But that craftsman deal don't sound bad.You might get a ratchet and 8 sockets from a tool truck for $180

Start hitting rummage sales,you can pick up a few here and there for cheap

The best way to see a tool truck disappear is don't owe him any money and don't buy anything for two weeks--You'll never see him again

• Texas Deere and Horse, GTTinkerer, hamman and 4 others have said thanks

#3 Nato77 OFFLINE  

Old Iron Junky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9422
  • 1,635 Thanks
  • 1,325 posts

Posted November 24, 2014 - 02:45 AM

If I was in your postion I would go with a craftsman set but would get a ratchet for snapon. There is nothing worse than laying into a ratchet on a bolt and having it slip (the teeth inside) to get skun up knuckles. At least with a good ratchet you won't have to worry about that so much. Craftsman wrenches are just fine, that's all I've used for years. Never could justify spending a large amount of money for a tool truck set. The snapon guy I deal with always has trade ins/used tools on the truck. Just remember no matter what brand you go with you'll always have the chance of the tool breaking.

Edited by Nato77, November 24, 2014 - 02:46 AM.

• hamman, TokyoDrift99 and Auburn David have said thanks

#4 propane1 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 54307
  • 5,858 Thanks
  • 3,099 posts

Posted November 24, 2014 - 05:56 AM

No tool truck guys around here any more. All out of business. Craftsman and mastercraft tools are what most guys buy now. Noel
  • GTTinkerer, hamman, TokyoDrift99 and 1 other said thanks

#5 jabelman OFFLINE  

• Member No: 38843
  • 1,452 Thanks
  • 1,117 posts

Posted November 24, 2014 - 06:16 AM

I am not a mechanic for a living but i did buy a good set of craftsmen and misc snap on (used). A few years later i moved left the tools in my old mans shop. I picked up a cheap set of kobalt rachets from lowes to kickt around the house they held up on all tractor restorations for the last few years. For the pro or investment i wouldnt buy them. Maybe check auctions or look at sales as above i got some good deals

#6 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted November 24, 2014 - 06:37 AM

Buy the best you can afford. I broke dentures by punching myself in the mouth when a cheap ratchet broke.  You know how it is...no room to work, not using that much pressure, and bang.  Dentures are considerably more expensive than quality tools.

That being said though, I have a cheap 1/2" ratchet from Princess Auto that's been kicking around for years.  It's had 6 foot steel bars on it more times than I count. I've never had a problem with it.

• hamman, propane1, TokyoDrift99 and 1 other said thanks

#7 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,152 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted November 24, 2014 - 07:00 AM

When I retired from the Army in 1989 and opened up my small engine service shop I spent a bunch of money on Snap On tools and the truck stopped by once a week every week.  Once I had the tools I wanted and stopped buying the truck stopped coming and I had to chase the truck down to have the tools replaced or serviced.  Since then I have lost and sold (having sons around seems to have expedited the lost part) most of the Snap On tools and for the past 15 years have slowly replaced them with Craftsman tools and for the past couple of years with NAPA and Harbor Freight tools.

I have found that 90% of the time it isn't the tool itself but instead the skill of the tool user that gets the job done right.

Edited by GTTinkerer, November 24, 2014 - 07:01 AM.

• Texas Deere and Horse, hamman, superaben and 5 others have said thanks

#8 Kmac1 OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 62275
  • 517 Thanks
  • 218 posts

Posted November 24, 2014 - 07:04 AM

I wrenched professionally for close to 20 years, you will find that snap-on and mac make up 95% of my tools. I never had any trouble with warranty for any reason, from either. it may be different for an occassional buyer though. S-K is also a favorite of mine, lifetime warranty excellent tools, prices you can afford. Still today if I need warranty or a new tool I call the tool truck and they come out to the house. Craftsman is a good tool for home use with the lifetime warranty. Willie

#9 ckjakline OFFLINE  

• Member No: 6073
  • 1,052 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted November 24, 2014 - 07:47 AM

If I was in your position I would go w/ the craftsman set.They are a cheaper and lot easier to get replaced and hold up very well.soThe tool truck tools are excellent but financially it would make more sense for you to go w/ the Craftsman.

• GTTinkerer, hamman, TokyoDrift99 and 1 other said thanks

#10 aevansgatech OFFLINE  

• Member No: 62323
  • 199 Thanks
  • 250 posts

Posted November 24, 2014 - 07:54 AM

I've had good luck with Kobalt for budget tools. They seem to be made better than the others at that pricepoint

#11 tinbender7 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 5171
  • 1,112 Thanks
  • 784 posts

Posted November 24, 2014 - 08:04 AM

I have a few snap on tools, ratchets,sockets,wrenches that my father bought back in the '30's & '40's that have been usedprofessionally

by 4 generations. My father,me, my 4 sons, and a grandson. Yes we lost a few and broke a few, but most are still doing the job, not as much now as they are in my tool box and all they are used for now is working on GT'S and they can out do me

#12 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,453 Thanks
  • 6,342 posts

Posted November 24, 2014 - 08:20 AM

I have craftsman since 70's.  The new ratchets might not be as good, but they replace them when broken, so why not. True Value had the same maker, and both are overseas now. I have gotten the Ace  hardware brand with good luck. The harbor freight stuff can break, but I have those in 3/4" size and not used that much. DID start using big size more once into bigger full size tractors. I think the Snap-on and Mac brands are way too pricey, specially for  young fella starting out. the big sets Sears have are good and now my Ace Hardware is also selling the Craftsman brand in tools, even the power tools.  I Have gotten Snap-on tools for a specialty tool that I could not find other places. Those Kobalt tools seem pretty good that I have seen, not sure the warranty they offer. The biggest issue for quality is in the TOOL Boxes. Much difference there. Get the best you can afford and look for drawers with good floating bearing tracks. Even Craftsman has a better line of those AND a cheaper line, so whatch what you buy in those.

#13 hamman OFFLINE  

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,519 Thanks
  • 2,551 posts

Posted November 24, 2014 - 09:12 AM

90% of mine are Craftsman. I have a few Snap On, Proto and others. I like the warranty of Craftsman.                                                           Roger

• GTTinkerer, propane1, TokyoDrift99 and 1 other said thanks

#14 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,040 Thanks
  • 4,971 posts

Posted November 24, 2014 - 09:47 AM

Here is my opinion on tools.

Snap-On, Mac, ect are great tools.  Strong built, but very pricey.  Would I spent the money on those high dollar tools?  No.

I've restored entire tractors only a cresent tool set I bought for 79 bucks.  1/4 up to 1/2" drive.  Junk tools really. 

When I was your age, I'm 30 now, I rebuilt dirt bikes, 4 wheelers, truck engines, ect with a anything I could piece together to make a tool kit.  Might of been china stuff, or whatever.

I have never broken a ratchet that I wasn't abusing.  Cheater bars, 4lb hammer, ect.  I've never broken a socket that I wasn't abusing either.  Maybe I'm weak, but I've never been able to break any of those items using only my arm. 

My tools right now are mostly Wright and Craftsman.  And my beloved Williams ratchets.

The only tool that I will say don't buy cheap of are, torque wrenches.  Torque wrenches need to be of quality.

My advice to you.  Buy a nice craftsman set.  Take care of it and it will take care of you.

• GTTinkerer, TokyoDrift99 and Auburn David have said thanks

#15 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 61865
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted November 24, 2014 - 10:00 AM

I use Mastercraft/Craftsman ect,anything that has the store warranty..just as good and 1/3 of the price..snap on is convenient if you have a shop and lots of tools(they offer credit around here),but to have to call them and wait till they show up to change out a tool...its just easier for me to return it to the store.

• GTTinkerer, Bill 76 and TokyoDrift99 have said thanks