Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted November 23, 2014 - 10:05 PM

...for water.
Yesterday I wiggled my Farmall 140 thinking I could roll it on level ground, and it acted like the parking brake was set. Today it was warm so I loosened the drain plug to let any water out. After a couple minutes I yanked the plug out and watched the water pour out on the ground. All in all I think there was a half a quart of oil in the transmission, and the other 5 quarts was clear, clean water. Lucky for me I have not been using the 140 since I bought it (regularly start it though) and additionally, caught the problem before it was destructive. Winter is almost here, use the last heat wave to save the transmissions. Thanks.

Edited by wvbuzzmaster, November 23, 2014 - 10:06 PM.

• Gtractor, MH81, Alc and 9 others have said thanks

#2 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted November 23, 2014 - 11:01 PM

Good point all around Casey.  :thumbs:

I'd be wondering how did that much water get in and that much oil get out?   I'm used to a little water in old transmission, but good gravy, that is incredible!

Ben W.

• wvbuzzmaster and boyscout862 have said thanks

#3 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted November 23, 2014 - 11:18 PM

I need to rebuild the rear PTO on the 140 because the bearings and seals are badly worn but I have yet to get around to it. They are good enough for not much use, but I see where the oil was getting out of there from prior use. Additionally. The tractor was parked facing slightly downhill when I purchased it, so may be some of the water got in there. I dunno for sure, but it seems tractor transmissions are suseptible to water infiltration no mater what the scenario.

#4 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted November 23, 2014 - 11:51 PM

I need to rebuild the rear PTO on the 140 because the bearings and seals are badly worn but I have yet to get around to it. They are good enough for not much use, but I see where the oil was getting out of there from prior use. Additionally. The tractor was parked facing slightly downhill when I purchased it, so may be some of the water got in there. I dunno for sure, but it seems tractor transmissions are suseptible to water infiltration no mater what the scenario.

You are right, the older tractors never were sealed up quite as tight as what you see now. 

Farmalls are usually a lot better about it, though, since they have that metal "boot" around the shifter versus the normal run of the mill rubber one that rots off on almost every other make's tractors. 

Ben W.

• wvbuzzmaster and Bill 76 have said thanks

#5 Bill 76 OFFLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,646 Thanks
  • 1,060 posts

Posted November 24, 2014 - 12:55 AM

Yeah it just trickles down the shift handle a drop at a time,good thing you got it before a good freeze or it would have cracked the case  for sure.

• wvbuzzmaster said thank you

#6 HANKG ONLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,911 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted November 24, 2014 - 07:27 AM

One of my wheelhorse RJ 58s suffered from a leaky  shifter boot when I first bought it, I noticed the boot was worn badly when I lifted the boot to take a peek the tranny was filled to the top with water . Lucky for me the water did not allow the air to get at it I emptied it and flushed it out well and it was fine.

#7 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,664 Thanks
  • 6,480 posts

Posted November 24, 2014 - 08:26 AM

Shifter and handle boots rot!  PK's  do have water alot in trans, the boots are usually missing. Big tractors also have that and they have BIG boots on them and a bigger area to collect the water there also. I once had a PK that was fine till it got cold. Seems there was also water in the big Bullgear cases that freezes if enough in them.

#8 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted November 24, 2014 - 08:31 AM

I know on the old round fender garden tractors, they don't have the rubber boots that you are referring to, however there is a rubber o-ring inside the shifter housing. In most cases, these are shot after a period of years, due to not getting lubed and eventually dry-rotting. Water freezing up inside the casing is almost 99.9% bad news.

One other thing that I make sure I do for tractors setting outside, and that is keeping all of the throttle and choke levers in the down position. While in the upper position, the rain or snow melt just runs down the levers and straight into the cables, causing them to rust fast. Just thought I'd throw that out there for something else to think about.

#9 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted November 24, 2014 - 08:40 AM

This is why there is a preventive maintenance schedule for tractors. If you find a tractor that has been properly maintained it will never be in that kind of condition. However, most of the tractors out there have been neglected and abused so mother nature takes it's course and the water gets in and starts the decay process.

#10 AfterShock95 OFFLINE  

AfterShock95
  • Member No: 63122
  • 420 Thanks
  • 365 posts

Posted November 24, 2014 - 11:50 AM

Found the same thing in my big ten trans

#11 T Guiles OFFLINE  

T Guiles
  • Member No: 39800
  • 952 Thanks
  • 749 posts

Posted November 24, 2014 - 05:02 PM

Great advise, glad you caught it before any issues arose.