My VR worked fine but was almost hanging by a thread on my MTD 990 because of the rotted rubber mounting tabs.
I drilled out the old rivets & cleaned everything up to be repaired.
I cut two pieces of rubber off of an old tire.
I used 1/8" x 1/4" long pop rivets for the repair. The first rivet worked fine but the second one pulled itself through the hole. I drilled out the two rivets I just put in & started over This time I just pulled the rivet enough to mushroom the head then stopped. I took the rivet gun off & clipped the remainder of the stem off, this worked fine.
All painted up & ready to go!
If you want to follow my rebuild you can see it here. Thanks!