• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 breimer OFFLINE  

breimer
  • Member No: 39058
  • 119 Thanks
  • 149 posts

Posted November 22, 2014 - 10:56 PM

2 tractors identical symtoms. Both won't idle properly. 1 is a 1966 Massey MF10 with 10 hp Tecumseh. The other a 1979 John Deere 214 with 14hp Kohler. Both tractors I've cleanec the carbs,soaking them in gunk carb cleaner solution and blew out all the passages making sure nothing is clogged. They also both purr like a kitten have good power etc. just when bringing them down to idle they starve for fuel. Doesn't matter if I change the mixture screws settings,i can make it stall altogether by turning them in but turning the screws out improves the idle but never enough that I can get a normal slow idle. I have 2 other Kohlers that idle perfectly and I can slow them down till they barely putt and still idle smooth. What am I missing? Throttle shafts don't have much play, new carb mounting gaskets already. Help?

#2 lyall OFFLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,747 Thanks
  • 1,398 posts

Posted November 22, 2014 - 11:18 PM

just setting the points with a filler gauge you can get it close

Have checked the timing with a timing light?

with a timing light you can see how close the points are set

the closer you get to the S on the flywheel the better you are

once it is close as you can get it and it still not at normal slow idle check the  throttle shaft for play.

if you can move it. that is were you have a vacuum leak.

I remove the throttle shaft and put in 2 bronze washer (thrush bearings) 1/4" id and 7/16" od and put a little gasket sealer in before I put the bronze washer in.

and put throttle shaft back in and I was lock washers on the screws the the butterfly 

I have seen O-rings in several carbs that where I put the bronze washers - which can help too

Edited by lyall, November 22, 2014 - 11:20 PM.

#3 MFGray OFFLINE  

MFGray

• Member No: 154
  • 129 Thanks
  • 122 posts

Posted November 23, 2014 - 01:12 AM

For the HH100, the idle circuit may well be blocked still. The Walbro LME carb is not very easy to clean and sometimes the main nozzle has to be unscrewed to clean out the fine hole that supplies the idle circuit. If that nozzle is removed then the threads over the hole must be filed away before it can be put back, but this is not difficult to do if you mount the nozzle on a close fitting piece of steel with superglue and turn it in a dremel.

#4 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,304 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted November 23, 2014 - 06:31 AM

Is the carb on the Kohler also a Walbro by chance?A Kohler with a Walbro carb will not idle down very far before it stalls out.If you want a slow idle on a Kohler use a Carter #26 or #30.

I've also noticed with the Walbro carbs on a Kohler that it will try to stall out if taken over rough ground.I hate all Walbro carbs.Even the one on my H50 tecumseh re-powered craftsman rototiller is giving me a headache.About to spend $25 on it and give one of those cheap Ebay carbs a try.

I tried heat on a couple that was really messed up and ended up warping the carb and it was Still plugged up.

Best thing to do is grab a cheap Torch Tip cleaner kit and go through all the holes in the carb with it.Then spray some good Carb cleaner through every hole to clean out any leftover deposits.

PRS57010_img1.jpg

Torch tip cleaner has barbed File like wire in many different sizes.Works very good for cleaning carbs and you can Slightly enlarge the holes on the idle circuit to help prevent future blockages.Remember the Idle jet is Adjustable so you can always adjust it afterwards. 

#5 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted November 23, 2014 - 08:43 AM

Have you got the float set exactly perfectly right. Those Walbro carbs are very sensitive to that.

#6 breimer OFFLINE  

breimer
  • 119 Thanks
  • 149 posts

Posted November 23, 2014 - 09:00 AM

Thanks all for the replies. I will check out these options. I'm wondering if the throttle shafts are just loose enough that they are leaking causing vacuum leaks.

#7 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted November 23, 2014 - 09:04 AM

For the HH100, the idle circuit may well be blocked still. The Walbro LME carb is not very easy to clean and sometimes the main nozzle has to be unscrewed to clean out the fine hole that supplies the idle circuit. If that nozzle is removed then the threads over the hole must be filed away before it can be put back, but this is not difficult to do if you mount the nozzle on a close fitting piece of steel with superglue and turn it in a dremel.

breimer, there's probably your problem right there.  Most of the time Walbro LMG, LMB, and LME carburetors have to have that nozzle removed and the ports cleaned around it if you want a slow idle. 

The original nozzle was installed before the power hole was drilled out.  The replacement nozzles "service nozzles" have that slot cut in them so the engine will run! 

Ben W.

#8 breimer OFFLINE  

breimer
  • 119 Thanks
  • 149 posts

Posted November 23, 2014 - 08:14 PM

Not sure if I know specifically which piece you are referring to as "nozzle". Wonder if you could provide a picture or parts illustration? I'll look through my files to see if I have that parts illustration for the carb.

#9 MFGray OFFLINE  

MFGray

• Member No: 154
  • 129 Thanks
  • 122 posts

Posted November 23, 2014 - 10:33 PM

The nozzle is part no.23 in the bottom centre of the diagram. image.jpg

This diagram shows it better and the idle circuit too.image.jpg

Edited by MFGray, November 23, 2014 - 10:42 PM.

#10 breimer OFFLINE  

breimer
  • 119 Thanks
  • 149 posts

Posted November 24, 2014 - 12:14 AM

Thanks so much! That really shows/explains it nicely. I'll take it apart and check that again.