11 replies to this topic

#1 Alberta Bolens OFFLINE  

Alberta Bolens
  • Member No: 49650
  • 443 Thanks
  • 252 posts

Posted November 22, 2014 - 07:23 PM

Good Day.

As the hobby we have involves engines.  The fumes carbon monoxide are dangerous in an inclosed shop.  As winter seems to have snuck up on us the doors tend to stay closed a bit more.  "I'm only going to see if it will start"  5 minutes later you think to open the door.

I want to ask what other members use to get the exhaust fumes out of the shop.  I open the overhead door in the garage when I run an engine.  However at temps below freezing I would like to keep the door closed.  I have been thinking of some flex pipe and hose out under the door.  If I have 15 feet or so of hose would the fumes get out of the building or would they build up inside?  

I'm going to get a Carbon Monoxide monitor for the garage.  

Any thoughts?

• NUTNDUN, Cvans and cootertom have said thanks

#2 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted November 22, 2014 - 07:47 PM

A lot of commercial shops around my area have special exhaust hose (it does have to be special from my understanding) that they funnel the fumes out of the shop with.  The tractor end has a steel boot to go over the muffler.  Most shops run the hose into a fan to give it some suction, otherwise the fumes will still back up and try to come out around the hose. 

Ben W.

• NUTNDUN, olcowhand, Cvans and 1 other said thanks

#3 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted November 22, 2014 - 07:52 PM

A lot of commercial shops around my area have special exhaust hose (it does have to be special from my understanding) that they funnel the fumes out of the shop with.  The tractor end has a steel boot to go over the muffler.  Most shops run the hose into a fan to give it some suction, otherwise the fumes will still back up and try to come out around the hose. 

Ben W.

Yes, it needs to be fan powered to truly work well.  I hope to build my own system with a squirrel cage fan to use on our farm tractors.  The diesel fumes get to my eyes in a flash in a confined space, not to mention the carbon monoxide.

• NUTNDUN, Texas Deere and Horse, Cvans and 3 others have said thanks

#4 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,668 Thanks
  • 6,486 posts

Posted November 22, 2014 - 09:51 PM

10 yrs ago I had Cancer recovery going on, and was very weak, low white cell counts. Decided to run my MM tractor a little,  had just gotten that back running after rebuild. I was skinny and weak at time. doors all closed in a big 3 car garage. SO, started it up, was playing with carb settings and such, just let it run. I had a lawn chair there as I needed to sit down lots when weak, so I was feeling a little Blah, set down a moment. Tractor still running. At some time I passed out I guess, but woke again and barfed all over my self, then creamed my pants big time. Got up and crawled to tractor to shut off, made it to door control to open, fell down and had to crawl back in  house, up to bathroom and into shower to rinse off. I was really shot for the  moment. Was able to call my sister to come and check on me. They took me to Hospital and checked me out, feeling like crap all that time. Finally with a drip they made me feel some better. Could have killed me!  First ever having re-action, but probly cause I was weak in first place. SO....from now on the doors come open, even on the small ones. I've also  heard of another collector that always started his tractors for first time outdoors now, as one burst into flames in his shop!  No damage, but could have been.  Many gas stations and shops have a hose and flap going out their big doors, but most vehicles are low to ground there, no fans. The Fork Truck Repair at work has a big one up to ceiling and out, but is a fan on it. Used for gas or diesel trucks.

• NUTNDUN, HDWildBill, Cat385B and 2 others have said thanks

#5 Tim Bergfeld OFFLINE  

Tim Bergfeld
  • Member No: 60783
  • 218 Thanks
  • 449 posts

Posted November 22, 2014 - 10:23 PM

My shop is big so don't have that problem there but I always open the garage at the house

#6 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted November 22, 2014 - 10:46 PM

I use a window fan bLowing out a window of the shop and open the garage door to achieve cross ventilation. In winter, uh, depends if it starts as to if I do that or not.

Edited by wvbuzzmaster, November 22, 2014 - 10:46 PM.

• NUTNDUN, Bolens 1000 and superaben have said thanks

#7 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted November 23, 2014 - 12:20 AM

Just going to start it for a minute to see if it has oil pressure but oh man the high speed needle is way too rich better get that while I'm here. What the heck is that squeaking noise coming from over there by that oil leak. Oh crap my head is pounding like crazy.  My eyes burn and where did all that blue smoke come from. How dumb can I be?  :wallbanging:

Amazing how fast time got away from me and how quickly my shop almost turned into a death trap. Now it's doors open and then start the tractor. 

• NUTNDUN, olcowhand, GTTinkerer and 2 others have said thanks

#8 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted November 23, 2014 - 07:52 AM

I use a window fan bLowing out a window of the shop and open the garage door to achieve cross ventilation. In winter, uh, depends if it starts as to if I do that or not.

:rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

That sounds like me.

Ben W.

• Bolens 1000 said thank you

#9 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted November 23, 2014 - 10:53 AM

A good fart will set off your carbon monoxide alarm, so don't....well, be alarmed when it goes off.

• jerseyhawg / glenn said thank you

#10 Jazz OFFLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,442 Thanks
  • 953 posts

Posted December 08, 2014 - 05:25 AM

i have a 20 flexible piece of exhaust. We never run engines in shop, Now welding is a different story and a friend was helping out a seriously sick moi to weld for a couple hours,,,We eventually got a fan blowing'' I had my blood cell count minutes before the welding started and doctor determined I was stubborn so I passed along the bad news to the wife : I'M GOING TO LIVE!  Knocks the life out of you when white blood cell is low.

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_0217.jpg

Edited by Jazz, December 08, 2014 - 05:27 AM.

• MH81 said thank you

#11 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted December 08, 2014 - 08:46 AM

Would something like this work ?  I usually just open the garage door but  if this would work for the few times during the winter I'm running something  in the garage it would be a cheap way to go . It would ne even nicer to have a squirrel cage fan to exhaust fumes when welding or painting in the winter .  

http://www.walmart.c...7321712&veh=sem

#12 Alberta Bolens OFFLINE  

Alberta Bolens
  • Member No: 49650
  • 443 Thanks
  • 252 posts

Posted January 02, 2015 - 08:09 PM

After doing some welding the other day.   I'm thinking I want to rig up something that would work for welding and exhaust fumes.  The intake end would have couple of adaptors to fit exhaust pipes, and a small hood for welding.  A little squirrel cue fan (Like a bathroom fan) in the system should be enough to keep fumes down in the garage.  Might not be enough for a industrial garage /shop but, for hobby might work.