• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 MyBolens1053 OFFLINE  

MyBolens1053
  • Member No: 50025
  • 634 Thanks
  • 566 posts

Posted November 25, 2014 - 02:02 PM

Had to run out to the garage to get some pumpkin for the pie Thursday so took a quick look at the front of the Wisconsin motor.  It does have a notch in the outside of the belt pulley for a rope.  If the Wisconsin pulls a hard as my Briggs does I don't think I want to be rope starting it with size pulley.  My 10 hp Briggs has about a 3" rope winding pulley and it pulls fairly hard.  I really don't see using the belt pulley for a rope start.   At least not in my corner of the ranch.

Okay, so you found the notch in the pulley on the motor. Good. It's not that hard to turn that Wisconsin over with the rope so you'll be fine with it if you need it.

#17 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,151 Thanks
  • 4,498 posts

Posted November 28, 2014 - 07:52 PM

I found out it is much easier with the clutch pedal tied down.  Going to make a hook of some sort to hold the clutch disengaged in case I need to pull start it.  Your right 1053, it don't pull that hard.  A lot easier than I first thought with the clutch engaged.  Might try and fire it up tomorrow.

#18 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,151 Thanks
  • 4,498 posts

Posted November 29, 2014 - 06:12 PM

That NAPA ignition switch works just like I figured it would.  Fired it up with the pull start today and all went well  - - after I made a new plug wire for it.  Tranny shifted just like it is supposed to, both Lo and Hi side.  All I need now is to get the starter generator back.  Took the bar mower off the BCS and put the thrower on it so it is ready to go.  A few place I can get with it that I can't get the Bolens in.  I didn't get it on last year before it got real cold and didn't need it anyway.  Not going to chance it this year.

#19 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,151 Thanks
  • 4,498 posts

Posted December 05, 2014 - 07:11 PM

Picked up the starter/generators from the shop this evening.  Both just needed a good cleaning, no parts.  One had a wire loose that needed to be soldered back and the other had a brush hung up in the holder.  Have two good units now.  One has bearing on both ends and on has the bronze bushing on the back end.  Guess which one it going on the tractor in the morning.  Then I better head to the wood shop and get three cutting boards made before Christmas.  Picked up the maple today and have the walnut.  Just need the ambition to get-r-done. :wave: