18 replies to this topic

#1 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,493 posts

Posted November 22, 2014 - 07:23 PM

This past summer I purchased at an auction my first Bolens.  Seller said the transmission need adjustment as the Low side just quit working.  Yea, right !   :wallbanging:   Got it home and it ran about 10 feet and first gear quit.  Lo side did not work.  So I had 2 speeds on the Hi side.  Cluster gear on the input shaft was ground to nothing.  Half of the first gear was gone also.  :mad2:   Could not locate parts anywhere.

Picked up a 3 speed tractor less motor with a snow thrower for a good price.  Put the 3 speed in the 1053 and had a working tractor.  Snow thrower turned out OK too.  Stumbled onto a guy in PA that had a 6 speed he was going to part out.  He had the parts I needed in good usable condition.  Got them a few days ago and put them in the transmission today.  Flushed the case out good, new seals on the in and out put shafts as well as the shift rods, new oil in the case, adjusted axle end play and it is ready to go in the tractor in the morning. :rolling:

While waiting for the parts to arrive a guy from NE called and he has a 1050 he would sell with no motor.  How would a Bolens look, run and get along with a 10hp bright yellow Chinese motor ? ?  Going to call him and make an offer on it and see what happens.  He is about 150 miles one way from me so that cuts into what the tractor is worth to me. :wave:

With any luck I will have a 1053 and a 1050 both running with an extra good 3 speed transmission.

Liking these Bolens more and more all the time. :thumbs:  :beer: 

• A.C.T., superaben and MyBolens1053 have said thanks

#2 Alberta Bolens OFFLINE  

Alberta Bolens
  • Member No: 49650
  • 442 Thanks
  • 252 posts

Posted November 22, 2014 - 07:27 PM

In my mind a running Bolens with a yellow engine is better than a dead one.   If you stumble onto the correct engine down the rod you can always put it back to original.

• MyBolens1053 and chieffan have said thanks

#3 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,493 posts

Posted November 22, 2014 - 07:31 PM

My Thoughts too. Or I know where there are 3 running diesel engines about that size off cooling units.

• MyBolens1053 said thank you

#4 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted November 22, 2014 - 07:48 PM

My Thoughts too. Or I know where there are 3 running diesel engines about that size off cooling units.

:thumbs:

I know where you are going with that. 

Ben W.

• MyBolens1053 and chieffan have said thanks

#5 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,493 posts

Posted November 22, 2014 - 07:57 PM

Don't cost a dime to dream.  But when one starts to make them come true ? ?   Katy bar the door !!!!!

#6 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,493 posts

Posted November 22, 2014 - 08:54 PM

I just bought the 1050, almost complete as it has not motor.  $80 and can get it when ever I want.  The seller is going to bring it to work with him later and save me about 50 miles.  Early Christmas present for me - -  or the other half.  Another project lurking in the shadows.  Will post some pics when I get it home.

#7 MyBolens1053 OFFLINE  

MyBolens1053
  • Member No: 50025
  • 634 Thanks
  • 566 posts

Posted November 22, 2014 - 10:55 PM

This past summer I purchased at an auction my first Bolens.  Seller said the transmission need adjustment as the Low side just quit working.  Yea, right !   :wallbanging:   Got it home and it ran about 10 feet and first gear quit.  Lo side did not work.  So I had 2 speeds on the Hi side.  Cluster gear on the input shaft was ground to nothing.  Half of the first gear was gone also.  :mad2:   Could not locate parts anywhere.

Picked up a 3 speed tractor less motor with a snow thrower for a good price.  Put the 3 speed in the 1053 and had a working tractor.  Snow thrower turned out OK too.  Stumbled onto a guy in PA that had a 6 speed he was going to part out.  He had the parts I needed in good usable condition.  Got them a few days ago and put them in the transmission today.  Flushed the case out good, new seals on the in and out put shafts as well as the shift rods, new oil in the case, adjusted axle end play and it is ready to go in the tractor in the morning. :rolling:

While waiting for the parts to arrive a guy from NE called and he has a 1050 he would sell with no motor.  How would a Bolens look, run and get along with a 10hp bright yellow Chinese motor ? ?  Going to call him and make an offer on it and see what happens.  He is about 150 miles one way from me so that cuts into what the tractor is worth to me. :wave:

With any luck I will have a 1053 and a 1050 both running with an extra good 3 speed transmission.

Liking these Bolens more and more all the time. :thumbs:  :beer:

Ut oh. We now have a Bolens junky on our hands. Once you are hooked there is no cure and no support groups to get you out of it. Starting with the tube-frames and you'll wanna get a taste of the Large Frames. Implements will keep up your thirst. Then to the Iseki group and 2 wheel machines.

But, you won't stop there. There are old chain saws, chippers, 2 wheeled sno-casters, dealer signage, jackets and hats, etc. You'll want it ALL.

But, there is one thing you really do want to stay away from. It's considered the hardcore of Bolens. The Diablo Rouge.

So, just hand over your Bolens machines while you can and you can thank me later. Otherwise you end up like wilburj or oldbuzzard. Got it all and STILL adding to their addiction. :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

• chieffan said thank you

#8 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,493 posts

Posted November 23, 2014 - 08:24 AM

I appreciate all the encouragement MyBolens 1053.  Don't think my finances will allow for quite that much expansion.  I did get lead on a possible "collection" for various Bolens equipment. A small engine dealer I do business with has a grave yard of various mowers and like equipment.  I asked if he had any Bolens out there.  He didn't but said a guy we both know gathered up every Bolens that he could find several years ago.  Guess the guy and his wife or not well and up in their years.  Son is not in good health either.  Need to wonder down their way and see if they still have anything around.  :dancingbanana:

• A.C.T. and MyBolens1053 have said thanks

#9 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted November 23, 2014 - 08:26 AM

GT's and rabbits have a lot in common, they just keep multiplying!

#10 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,493 posts

Posted November 23, 2014 - 07:35 PM

Ut oh. We now have a Bolens junky on our hands. Once you are hooked there is no cure and no support groups to get you out of it. Starting with the tube-frames and you'll wanna get a taste of the Large Frames. Implements will keep up your thirst. Then to the Iseki group and 2 wheel machines.

But, you won't stop there. There are old chain saws, chippers, 2 wheeled sno-casters, dealer signage, jackets and hats, etc. You'll want it ALL.

But, there is one thing you really do want to stay away from. It's considered the hardcore of Bolens. The Diablo Rouge.

So, just hand over your Bolens machines while you can and you can thank me later. Otherwise you end up like wilburj or oldbuzzard. Got it all and STILL adding to their addiction. :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

I think my 'Large Frame' is my International 400.  All 48 hp of it.  As for the 2 wheel machines I have a BCS with a 9 hp Briggs with a blade, tiller and snow thrower.  That is one heck of a machine.  Built to strip farm in Italy.

Got the 1053 back together today.  Put the chains on and all.  Went to fire it up and  - - - -buzz is all I got.  Starter went out.  Would just turn it over and that is all.  Not enough to fire it.  Thought at first it was the battery so charged it for about 40 min while I put the chains on.  Tried it again but same old buzz.  Tired a different battery and no change. Pulled the started and it will go in for rebuild in the morning.   Never did think much of those starter generator set ups.  One or the other but not both, in the same shell. 

Not going to have to do anything for a few days anyway so better now than when I needed the thrower.  Raining here now and has been of and on all day. :oh_shucks:

#11 MyBolens1053 OFFLINE  

MyBolens1053
  • 634 Thanks
  • 566 posts

Posted November 23, 2014 - 08:15 PM

You should have a rope starter for that 1053. Mine is set in the toolbox in case the starter goes on mine.

#12 MyBolens1053 OFFLINE  

MyBolens1053
  • 634 Thanks
  • 566 posts

Posted November 24, 2014 - 01:18 AM

Well, I think I found the ultimate Bolens toy for you, chieffan. It's titled "Old Bolens Tree Cutter".

00G0G_Dp09AcckcS_600x450.jpg

It can be yours for $150.

http://oklahomacity....4747901894.html

#13 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,493 posts

Posted November 25, 2014 - 12:44 PM

If it wasn't so far away I might be interested.  Would work good for cutting down the small cedar trees that are trying to take over everywhere.  don' know how it would work in tall grass though.  Might do a lot of wrapping.  Thanks for the post and the photo. 

#14 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,493 posts

Posted November 25, 2014 - 12:50 PM

You should have a rope starter for that 1053. Mine is set in the toolbox in case the starter goes on mine.

I have rope that would work.  I use it on my 10 HP Briggs on the wood splitter.  I don't think there is a place to wrap the rope on the motor though.  Will have to look closer.  Appreciate the advise.  Will definitely look into that. It usually fires right off so a couple pulls and it should be running.  I think I could manage that -- - - maybe.  Have to be in the early morning though.  :thumbs:

#15 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,493 posts

Posted November 25, 2014 - 01:06 PM

Had to run out to the garage to get some pumpkin for the pie Thursday so took a quick look at the front of the Wisconsin motor.  It does have a notch in the outside of the belt pulley for a rope.  If the Wisconsin pulls a hard as my Briggs does I don't think I want to be rope starting it with size pulley.  My 10 hp Briggs has about a 3" rope winding pulley and it pulls fairly hard.  I really don't see using the belt pulley for a rope start.   At least not in my corner of the ranch.