33 replies to this topic

#1 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8328
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted November 22, 2014 - 04:55 PM

Did a little trading with twostep. I got both gt14s. I haven't decided what do do with this one. The fuel pump I'd bad so I may put in into storage for the time being.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20141122_163727.jpg

• Sawdust and Oldford have said thanks

#2 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted November 22, 2014 - 06:39 PM

I'm waiting for the battery to charge. It's s slow crank and nothing from the fuel pump. It looks newer. Because I've got great luck...the coil blew and shot oil or whatever is in it all over the place.

After looking at it I think it may be easier to undo the engine bolts and spin the engine vs taking the front end off. I would think the tank would just lift up if I removed the heat shield but it doesn't appear that it does.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20141122_181937.jpg

#3 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted November 22, 2014 - 10:22 PM

Which item is the trouble? Pix shows tractor AND truck with hoods up!  Hee!  ON the gas tank, it should have a big strap band all around it, with split and bolt at ends. Think the bolt is on top, kinda under the cast nose a bit, but might be on bottom, I forget. It also goes down around the special base there that mounts the grill and tank on frame. It is not easy to unbolt the front on these, but once off, you DO have lots more room. Be carefull also of the special shut-off valve and mounts. It is easy to break the hose barb off the tank on older ones. Newer ones have the rubber plug and insert then, which this later one may have? Mine needed a good carb clean to run right. Kind of tight in there to work on stuff, t hat is bigger block engine.

#4 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted November 23, 2014 - 03:38 PM

This was not the turn key tractor I had hoped for. I put a newer fuel pump on it and nothing...Could the lobe on the crack be warn?

#5 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted November 24, 2014 - 12:48 PM

David, you can see in the videos that I posted (last year?) that it ran fine so I can't believe that it is the lobe. And as I told you the last time I drove it to the shed, basically it would idle but anything over idle it would starve. So tried pressuring the tank a little and it ran like it should.

Did you ever try just running a gravity feed tank and bypassing the pump?

Edited by twostep, November 24, 2014 - 12:49 PM.

#6 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted November 24, 2014 - 07:09 PM

I'll dig more into it when I get the 69 done.

#7 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted November 26, 2014 - 11:29 PM

Is the 72 running in this picture? No but at least it's doing more than the 69. First off I learned not to start an engine with the fuel pump removed...It makes a mess. I pulled the new wiring harness I made off the 69. Apparently the 57 batteries I have are all junk. Jumping it off my truck I can get it to run. Bobby suggested the fuel pump would be bad. I gravity feed the carb. It's not running above idle. If I pressured the tank the engine appears to run as it should. I would assume carb issues?

Attached Thumbnails

• 20141126_231104.jpg

#8 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted November 29, 2014 - 08:57 PM

Not necessarily turning wrenches but it does have to do with fixing the 14. I cleaned up the shop. I've got parts I need to pull off the 69 to hopefully get the 72 up and going. It's dark when I get home so I made room to put both in the shop. I also had to dig out a few batteries. Surely I've got one that's good. Let's say they are dead would it be better to trickle charge them or use a small 6 amp charger?

Attached Thumbnails

• 20141129_174357.jpg
  • 20141129_174406.jpg
  • 20141129_205031.jpg
  • 20141129_205037.jpg

#9 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted December 01, 2014 - 09:01 PM

Do these have a Tow valve? It needs a carb and fuel pump but I almost had it move under it's own power.

#10 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,572 Thanks
  • 29,821 posts

Posted December 01, 2014 - 09:18 PM

Do these have a Tow valve? It needs a carb and fuel pump but I almost had it move under it's own power.

Yes they do, but it's been years since owning one, and I forget where you find it.

#11 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted December 02, 2014 - 05:39 PM

Some HOrse valves are right on top and in plain site. A shaft with a pin thru it. Turn 180 to make work. THINK Mine had a  big hex plug on left side, hard to reach with fenders on and towards front. Just looks like a plug but had to loosen or tighten some to make it work. Took a small 5/16" wrench on it if I recall and had to break loose with bigger one and after that would come loose with smaller wrench. Real Hard to get in there when assembled. Much easier if you have the fender tins all off. I have also had Horse units with a similar plug way in back on left sort-of that neede a wrench to loosen also. There were some variations. Even with the plug loose, it will try to drive a little, but not with any real force. One way to test is to jack tractor up off wheels, or remove wheels, set on stands. Run a belt from another Horse off the side pto of it to the pulley on the 14's rear. You can use the belt from the 14 if you have it off now?  You can pull tractor up to back of the 14 and align some, slip on belt, move rear tractor back some to make tension (dont' take much), and turn on Pto of rear tractor to run the axle of the 14. It turns the correct way. IF you have the double pulley on yours it sticks out more and is easier to put belt on it and still have fenders on.  The pulley is used for a rear mount tiller on these. Not all have them tho. Course, if you don't have another HOrse, you will need a diff idea.  I never did try an electric motor on it, and a drill isn't big enough to fit shaft on pto side unless you make an adapter. I got this idea from Horse site before trying other methods. Don't pull the 14 off the stands messing this way. You can run controls like they should be forward and back and variable speed this way and is kinda neat! The GT 14 trans is really some diff than the other smaller models, even tho it looks same. There are diff manuals and parts books for them. I used to have them, but gave them to new owner of tractor when sold.  Think I got them printed off this site or the Red Square site for free. It does seem like the tractor manual was kinda small and not lots of info, but does have parts page. One big one or two, not several little ones. Made it a little harder to look at, but study makes it come clearer, ha!

• olcowhand said thank you

#12 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted December 02, 2014 - 05:56 PM

Even with the plug loose, it will try to drive a little, but not with any real force.

That's what it did. Between that and how easy it is to push I would assume there is a valve opened somewhere. I knew the pulley was for the tiller. I have no need to these rear ends.

I will say I can't stand these gt14s. They are just sitting. I want to drive one so bad you don't even understand. I've been sitting on them just pretending.

#13 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted December 10, 2014 - 11:16 AM

Lift the seat pan... you'll see a diagram of the the tow valve.

You will reach it from the back, it is on the top left side of the hydro pump. I had them both in the tow position.

Call or text if you have any questions...

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture.JPG

• BairleaFarm and Sawdust have said thanks

#14 glenn27 OFFLINE  

glenn27
  • Member No: 9309
  • 18 Thanks
  • 38 posts

Posted December 21, 2014 - 08:52 AM

Hello--when trying to inter-change parts between the two--the '69 model (first year made) wil have quite some differences than the 72 model.
Good luck with them!

glenn

#15 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted January 10, 2015 - 10:27 PM

Yep its a pos like everything else I own. I finally had time to get the electric fuel pump installed. Fired it up and tada nothing. If I spray gas in the intake it runs like a champ. I might as well drag these to the back 40 and go buy something that runs. Don't say rebuild the carb either. I have never had a carb rebuild that works. Doesn't matter of its on a push mower or a 350sb. For whatever reason it just doesn't work when I do it.