jdslednut

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 77
  • 636 Thanks
  • 837 posts

Posted December 24, 2011 - 11:52 PM

Are there separate priority valves available to plumb in to make a 4 port work like a 5 port? Any common type of equipment one of these could be rescued from to make it work in a GT? Maybe they're a beast of a thing. I don't know and am just curious. Now I have grabbed my Dad's 4 port Char-Lynn from his "retired" Gleaner F combine. I was kind of thinking it would be pretty cool to have rescued this part of the combine I spent many hours in during my youth and put it in my 314 to help keep it alive as an organ donor. Plus - I'm really tight with the funds and would rather make something work I already have than pony up the dough and make the wife a little more unhappy.

#32 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted December 25, 2011 - 10:57 AM

Yes, you can buy priority valves as stand alone. I actually have 2 of them, but to be honest, I'm not sure if they would work, as I have no idea what their settings are.

#33 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• Member No: 82
  • 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted December 26, 2011 - 12:53 AM

If youre going off the 314 hydro a priority valve would be a waste. A priority valve is really to ensure that you have enough flow to the steering system to make it consistent, no matter the rpms of the engine/overall output of the pump

Hydro charge pump -> Lift valves -> Steering column -> Return

You will need to check the discplacement of the Char-Lynn column to make sure the it does not starve because the charge pump is only 3-4gpm
  • jdslednut said thank you

#34 jdslednut OFFLINE  

jdslednut

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 77
  • 636 Thanks
  • 837 posts

Posted January 05, 2012 - 04:05 PM

How would I check the displacement of my pump(s)? Is there a chart with model numbers/types that indicate this information anywhere? Wouldn't want to go through a bunch of work just to find the thing starves.

#35 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• Member No: 82
  • 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted January 05, 2012 - 09:17 PM

Starving/cavitation may be a problem. I think the biggest problem with a column that has too big of a displacement is the steering will become very jerky because the amount of oil being dumped into the cylinder on a small(er) tractor may be too much

What is the model of the column you have? The combine one? I think like Daniel said you are best off with a JD column as they are cheap and easy to find

#36 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,164 posts

Posted January 06, 2012 - 04:18 AM

It would need to be a really big unit , as most rigs have either a seperate steering pump, or a priority valve, and in most cases they are only about 6 gpm max. Did the valve come off of something articulated ? Or did it have small steering wheels like ,say a MF 50 ?