coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted February 24, 2011 - 07:26 AM

I need some education folks. I would like to add power steering to my 1855, but I dont know what I need to do it. I have been cruising ebay for parts, but I get confused to which pieces to buy. Orbit valves, steering valves, power steering units, I just dont know enough about it to make the correct purchases. Due to money (read sneaking stuff past the wife) I cannot just go out and buy the complete steering kits I see on ebay. So I need yalls help and guidance. I know there is more than one option on power steering so I would like to here the different ways also.

Thanks

#2 JoshBrown OFFLINE  

JoshBrown

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 1978
  • 20 Thanks
  • 277 posts

Posted February 24, 2011 - 08:22 AM

I am in the same boat as you. I would love to have power steering but I am going to have to JonnyCash it.

#3 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,076 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted February 24, 2011 - 08:28 AM

Here's what I did. LarryI went out and took the gas tank out and the side cover off and took some pictures for you.The steering box is from a 1977 chev van.I had to do some adjustments of the frame to get the steering box to fit in the same spot where the original one was.I used a power steering pump from a Dodge D100.I also changed the front axle pivot point for the tie rods and drag links.I drilled straight down thru the center of the axle and welded in a pipe that was machined for bushings.So then I needed to change how the tie rods ends where connected to the pivot point as well.Same a with the top part of the axle pivot I had to make it so it would accept the tie rod comming from the steering box.I used automotive tie rod ends on both ends of the drag link comming from the steering box.This was done 10 yrs ago and hasn't failed yet.Oh yeah the pivot thru the axle is greaseable.Larry
Posted Image Attached Thumbnailshttp://gardentractor...-235-small-jpg/ http://gardentractor...-234-small-jpg/ http://gardentractor...-233-small-jpg/ http://gardentractor...-229-small-jpg/

http://gardentractor...-231-small-jpg/
  • coldone, Texas Deere and Horse and herbfarts have said thanks

#4 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,627 posts

Posted February 24, 2011 - 08:41 AM

That's a good looking job to fit everthing in there like you did !!!!

#5 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted February 24, 2011 - 10:09 AM

If you don't need more hydraulics, it's much easier to use the hydro charge pump to power the steering. What you need is a 5 port steering column like from a John Deere 318 or similar. You take the oil direct from the lift circuit, power the steering orbital valve, then from the "power beyond" port on the orbital on to the lift valves on your fender. The orbital has a return line also, so it has to be "T'd" into your return line coming off your fender lift valves back to the hydro. JD steering cylinders also work well. I mounted my cylinder direct to the front axle beam, and welded on an arm on the right spindle for the cylinder to attach. The placement of the distance of the hole from the spindle center is extremely critical if doing this way to get the cylinder stroke geometry to work to achieve full turns & use all the cylinder stroke before bottoming or topping out. You can see how I mounted my JD orbital.

DSC00029.jpg Posted Image

Larry's setup is very clean and works very well. I just chose a different road. Thought you might like to see both paths traveled.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC00028.jpg

• coldone said thank you

#6 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 3,870 posts

Posted February 24, 2011 - 02:50 PM

While on power steering.
Does anybody know where you could get 1 of these.
Danfoss OSPM PB With power beyond
p9-7666E1.jpg
The surplus center had them a while back for $150.00 but no longer shows them.

#7 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted February 24, 2011 - 11:05 PM

So it appears that my choices are to adapt a JD power system or use an automobile PS system. Could i use the power steering from the auto with the available hydralics i already have, ie the charge pump?

#8 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted February 25, 2011 - 10:34 AM

Could i use the power steering from the auto with the available hydralics i already have, ie the charge pump?

You know, I'm not sure, but I would think it would work fine. Uses the same type oil, and should have plenty of flow & pressure for either system. But you would not have "power beyond" or a priority valve, so you'd have to pick up your pressure in the return line from your lift valves.

#9 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,627 posts

Posted February 25, 2011 - 06:15 PM

Once thought I could make a old Ford sixties work , they used a control valve mounted on the pitman arm to control the steering cylinder .
2010-09-11_040616_Ford_BENDIX_Power_steering_Diagram.jpg
  • coldone said thank you

#10 kurbmaster OFFLINE  

kurbmaster

• Member No: 1877
  • 1 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted February 26, 2011 - 10:58 AM

Well, there might be one more option for you... A steering quickener put in backwards. I did it last year on a Case, and frankly, its made that tractor a dream to drive without all the extra hardware. If you have room for an orbital valve, the related lines and additional hydraulic components for true power steering, you likely will have room for this. A steering quickener will as much as double your steering wheel turns lock to lock (also available in 1:1.5). Note however that any slop in the rest of your steering system will be amplified if you do not tend to that as well.

I have a write up on how it worked for me on this page: Case448r
  • coldone said thank you

#11 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted February 26, 2011 - 09:32 PM

Thats a neat little gadget there. Thanks for the info and i really like your website, bookmarked it. Nice work you did to get that installed.

#12 jdslednut OFFLINE  

jdslednut

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 77
  • 636 Thanks
  • 837 posts

Posted December 03, 2011 - 02:19 AM

What you need is a 5 port steering column like from a John Deere 318 or similar.

Will a 4-port work for a case like this? I want to put power steering on my 314 Deere and have a freebee 4 port from a Schweiss 3-Wheel Sprayer. I'm new to understanding hydraulics so this will be a challenge for me.

#13 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,164 posts

Posted December 04, 2011 - 08:35 AM

Should work just fine, especially when everything after it has a lower relief setting.
  • jdslednut said thank you

#14 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted December 04, 2011 - 11:17 AM

Will a 4-port work for a case like this? I want to put power steering on my 314 Deere and have a freebee 4 port from a Schweiss 3-Wheel Sprayer. I'm new to understanding hydraulics so this will be a challenge for me.

I have a 4 port on my Massey "2055" (modified MF1650). To prevent blowing the seals in the orbital valve, plumb it's input pressure from the return line from your implement lift valves. Then the return from the orbital back to where the return from the lift valves returned to. If you put the orbital getting pressure before the lift valves, when the lift bottomed or topped, the 600 to 800psi would pressurize the orbital, and the seals in the orbital may not handle that pressure. The only negative having the steering aft the lift valves is that when you top or bottom out a lift circuit, for that brief second or so, you lose steering. Not a big deal at all really & you don't pay any attention to it once accustomed to it. If you put a priority valve in the line, then the steering would never drop off, but a lot of hassle for little gain, plus another expense.
  • jdslednut said thank you

#15 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted December 04, 2011 - 11:53 AM

Daniel, I have a couple forklifts that I am parting out. I need power steering for a couple of projects I'm working. Can the hydraulic steering off these be used on my Gt's? They are both true hydraulic steering, not power assist..