#31 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,076 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted November 25, 2014 - 08:24 AM

Update . After going out to town a couple of times all is not well. It's still getting hot after awhile. The part that has me confused it that the check gauge light comes on then the temp gauge climbs up and then the light goes out and the gauge drops.This happens all in a very short time frame ,the light only stays on for maybe 2 sec before it goes out and the gauge climbs and drops that fast as well. This engine has two sensors about 4-6 " apart. One for the computer and one [sending unit for the gauge.] So they both are doing there jobs because there both working.. Looks like today I'll need to dig deeper.  I'am done playing around and hoping for a simple quick fix. I'll pull the plugs and do a compresion test to see if the head gasket is bad. I have a sneaking hunch that this is what the problem is. 

Edited by massey driver, November 25, 2014 - 08:25 AM.

• Sawdust said thank you

#32 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,317 Thanks
  • 937 posts

Posted November 25, 2014 - 08:35 AM

How does the heater feel? If the engine is hot but the heater is blowing cold, that usually indicates low antifreeze level or air pocket.

A sticking thermostat could also do what you are describing. Does it only do it once or like every 3 minutes after it gets warmed up?

If it is a stick shift, you can run a gear higher than you normally would to "load up" the engine. working the engine hard with a bad head gasket will make it show itself easier

Did you notice flow direction when you were filling the radiator?

Edited by tater195, November 25, 2014 - 08:36 AM.

#33 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,498 Thanks
  • 4,952 posts

Posted November 25, 2014 - 09:16 AM

Since the gauges are doing the same thing in seires, then it sounds like you are getting a hot air pocket pass by them. Sure sounds like you are getting air pockets from somwhere.

#34 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,519 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted November 25, 2014 - 10:52 AM

A new thermostat is no guarantee that it's functioning correctly. This happened to me. 

Is there a place to purge the air from the cooling system?

#35 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted November 25, 2014 - 11:06 AM

You can check the thermostat function in a pot of boiling water.

#36 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,317 Thanks
  • 937 posts

Posted November 25, 2014 - 11:27 AM

Thermostats are as easy to put on upside down as mower blades

#37 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,076 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted November 25, 2014 - 05:56 PM

I pulled all the plugs today [ they all look nice and tan colored] Did the compression test on all 6 cyl. and there all 160 -165 psi. Kinda ruled out head gasket leak. There has to be a problem with the intake somewhere because when I give it gas you can hear a air leak some where plus the upper rad hose you can feel it want to suck in a bit at the same time. Looks like I'am going to have to buy a Rad tester so that I can pump in air and see if I can find where its leaking. {or I hope it will show up} I'll have to dig deeper as its got me bugged why its doing this. Almost creates a vacuum when you step on the gas so it's pulling the water etc away from the sending units as well seeing there  about 2" on either side of the thermostat . The other stupid part is that is doesn't seem to go down on antifreeze. At least I've ruled out some stuff and can continue searching for the cause. This truck does have a plastic plenum so almost wondering if its cracked..

• Sawdust said thank you

#38 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,076 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted November 25, 2014 - 06:01 PM

Almost forgot to mention the belt is on and routed according to the diagram. I was at the parts store today and there is only one pump confirgeration for this truck so rules out the water pump running backwards.

• Sawdust said thank you

#39 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted November 25, 2014 - 10:15 PM

I pulled all the plugs today [ they all look nice and tan colored] Did the compression test on all 6 cyl. and there all 160 -165 psi. Kinda ruled out head gasket leak. There has to be a problem with the intake somewhere because when I give it gas you can hear a air leak some where plus the upper rad hose you can feel it want to suck in a bit at the same time. Looks like I'am going to have to buy a Rad tester so that I can pump in air and see if I can find where its leaking. {or I hope it will show up} I'll have to dig deeper as its got me bugged why its doing this. Almost creates a vacuum when you step on the gas so it's pulling the water etc away from the sending units as well seeing there  about 2" on either side of the thermostat . The other stupid part is that is doesn't seem to go down on antifreeze. At least I've ruled out some stuff and can continue searching for the cause. This truck does have a plastic plenum so almost wondering if its cracked..

Check around at your local auto stores and see if one will let you "rent" that tester.  

#40 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,627 posts

Posted November 26, 2014 - 06:49 AM

I've been following this thread from the start and has me scratching my head but is there any chance that the thermostat was made wrong or boxed wrong , here's one that is listed on RockAuto , it looks to have some type of bleed valve built along the edge

Attached Thumbnails

• getimage.jpg

#41 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,510 Thanks
  • 3,387 posts

Posted November 26, 2014 - 07:19 AM

New doesn't equal good in this Chinese world we live in, but as i said to start with look at the intake and head gaskets, 4.0 Fords are extremely prone to both intake and intake gasket failures, we see them regularly on Explorers. A spring in a hose is not going to fix a suction problem when there should be pressure there.

• dodge trucker and Sawdust have said thanks

#42 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,076 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted November 26, 2014 - 08:39 AM

I've been following this thread from the start and has me scratching my head but is there any chance that the thermostat was made wrong or boxed wrong , here's one that is listed on RockAuto , it looks to have some type of bleed valve built along the edge

I've put in a new Stat thermostat it does have the air bleed pin in it.

New doesn't equal good in this Chinese world we live in, but as i said to start with look at the intake and head gaskets, 4.0 Fords are extremely prone to both intake and intake gasket failures, we see them regularly on Explorers. A spring in a hose is not going to fix a suction problem when there should be pressure there.

I knew when I started that putting the spring in was just a band aid fix.I did that just to start with to see if it was old hose failure. I'am getting more into it now and today hopefully I'll find be closer to what the problem is. I've never encountered anything like this before so I'am cautiously trying to rule things out to get it figured out. I,am going to pull the upper [plastic intake off today] and start there ,if need be I'll pull the lower one off as well.Then again I might just do both just to replace all the gaskets and valve cover gaskets. 

Edited by massey driver, November 26, 2014 - 08:51 AM.

• Alc said thank you

#43 Tim Bergfeld OFFLINE  

Tim Bergfeld
  • Member No: 60783
  • 218 Thanks
  • 449 posts

Posted November 26, 2014 - 04:44 PM

Ok get a handheld temp gun and check it when it does it maybe it is a faulty sensor use a manual gauge if you are not losing collateral and the exhaust is not steaming then I would go there then head gasket

Edited by Tim Bergfeld, November 26, 2014 - 04:50 PM.

#44 AfterShock95 OFFLINE  

AfterShock95
  • Member No: 63122
  • 420 Thanks
  • 365 posts

Posted November 26, 2014 - 05:04 PM

Have you took the cap off and let it idle until it gots hot ? Also take a look at the over flow resevor the antifreeze at the max cold level when the motor is cold and when it gets hot is the over flow at the max line

#45 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,076 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted November 27, 2014 - 07:11 PM

Figured out the problem.  I just got started in taking stuff apart and this is what I found today. The Intake gasket failed on the LH front water port. The gasket pulled away from the metal part of the gasket. It pulled away just enough to allow the vacuum of the motor to create a vacuum in the water jacket.The part that still has me puzzled is why it didn't draw or leak antifreeze into the lower motor. I guess the gasket rubber part didn't let the antifreeze get pulled into the motor rather it created a vacuum in the intake itself. Here's some pics of what has happened. It sure had me baffled as to what it could be.Anyway now I can sleep better and start putting things back together.3 pics of the bad spot and 1 pic of the good side and what its supposed to look like. BTW the thermostat housing is in between the two water ports at the front,so the bad one is next to the thermostat.

Attached Thumbnails

• Ford ranger intake problem 010 (Small).jpg
  • Ford ranger intake problem 012 (Small).jpg
  • Ford ranger intake problem 019 (Small).jpg
  • Ford ranger intake problem 016 (Small).jpg

• DougT, MH81, KennyP and 2 others have said thanks