65 replies to this topic

#16 DennyIN ONLINE  

DennyIN
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 52096
  • 290 Thanks
  • 182 posts

Posted November 22, 2014 - 11:51 AM

Sorry, you did state 4.0 engine.....what year?

#17 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,227 Thanks
  • 5,069 posts

Posted November 22, 2014 - 12:06 PM

That is so weird...I thought for sure it was a bad cap or clogged overflow hose.

Super worn and soft hoses is all I can think of. Keep us updated. I am intrigued.

#18 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,072 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted November 22, 2014 - 12:55 PM

Sorry, you did state 4.0 engine.....what year?

I pulled all the spark plugs and they all look nice so putting it back together this afternoon and going to try it with the spring inside the upper rad hose. Oh yeah had the rad sitting outside and backflushed it for a 1 or so just for my own sake.

• Sawdust said thank you

#19 AfterShock95 OFFLINE  

AfterShock95
  • Member No: 63122
  • 420 Thanks
  • 365 posts

Posted November 22, 2014 - 01:25 PM

Could be low anti freeze or could be a problem with the routing of the over flow hose going to the over flow container check to see if it's pinched some place like around the air box maybe in the filter housing

#20 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,447 Thanks
  • 3,356 posts

Posted November 22, 2014 - 02:51 PM

First I would go get a Stant direct replacement cap, then perform a bleed by setting heater to max heat and blower to max.Set the control to blow air from the upper A/C vents on the instrument pane, let the motor idle until hot air is coming out. Shut the motor off and allow to cool then add coolant to the overflow tank if necessary.

Check in your coolant tank to make sure there is no slimy residue that could indicate intake or head gaskets leaking. I suspect that may be the problem.

#21 Enginerod OFFLINE  

Enginerod

• Member No: 1748
  • 205 Thanks
  • 268 posts

Posted November 22, 2014 - 04:59 PM

Very possible the belt is on wrong,

with these serpentine belt systems they will fit on wrong.

causing water pump to turn the wrong direction

I was thinking the serp belt is on incorrectly, check the diagram closely. The radiator cap will only cause the hose to collapse on cooldown, trapped air wont do it. The lower hose is suction and the upper hose is pressure, the only thing that would reverse that is the waterpump turning backward which would be caused by improper belt routing.  

#22 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,304 Thanks
  • 973 posts

Posted November 23, 2014 - 08:40 AM

If the water pump is turning backward how would it force cold coolant thru a closed thermostat and creating pressure in the upper hose? I have to really stretch my imagination on the pump turning backward.
Mike

#23 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,072 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted November 23, 2014 - 09:10 AM

Update. The truck runs good now , no more getting hot and the gauge stays were its supposed to. Putting the spring into the upper Rad hose has gotten it to work properly. So the conclusion is that the upper hose is probably weakened over the years and once it got hot it was failing. I'll run [  my Grandson] will run it like that for awhile and keep me up to speed on how its working.If it works fine for the next few weeks then we'll either leave it like this or replace the hose. Thanks for all the advice everyone.

• MH81, Cvans and Sawdust have said thanks

#24 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,472 Thanks
  • 5,006 posts

Posted November 23, 2014 - 10:00 PM

Have you considered one of the corrugated flex (universal) hoses with the spring inside? Might be more resistant to collapsing.  

#25 Tim Bergfeld OFFLINE  

Tim Bergfeld
  • Member No: 60783
  • 218 Thanks
  • 449 posts

Posted November 23, 2014 - 11:36 PM

My take is test the radiator pressure you can rent the kit at a parts store I have gotten bad thermostats maybe the fins have started to rot off the water pump saw that once those would be my guess before you tear off the intake see if you can see signs where it was taken off and the gasket replaced

#26 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,228 Thanks
  • 28,594 posts

Posted November 24, 2014 - 06:51 AM

I know it's still running fine, but it concerns me that there is a negative pressure in there still.
You didnt state if the belt was on right and if you had to add antifreeze. Just curious. Been following, but a day or two late on catching up.

#27 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • 3,447 Thanks
  • 3,356 posts

Posted November 24, 2014 - 07:15 AM

Something isn't right, the fsct that all the gaskets were replaced before this started sends up a red flag.

#28 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,072 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted November 24, 2014 - 08:35 AM

I know it's still running fine, but it concerns me that there is a negative pressure in there still.
You didnt state if the belt was on right and if you had to add antifreeze. Just curious. Been following, but a day or two late on catching up.

The belt is on properly and never had a loss or gain of Antifreeze

Something isn't right, the fsct that all the gaskets were replaced before this started sends up a red flag.

I've never changed any gaskets except for replacing the Thermostat. What I did change [which required me to drain down the Antifreeze] was when we got the truck I could smell Anti freeze. I traced the leak to the heater control valve under the hood. I bought and installed a new one and after that is when we [he] started to notice the problem. The bad part is that we [he] didn't pay attention what it was doing before I drained and changed the heater valve and refilled the system. We only had the truck for a few days before I changed the heater control valve. What I'am almost wondering is whether I was able to get all the air out of the system. There is no bleed screw in the system but there is a way your supposed to fill them back up. This time what I did different was to have the front of the truck up about 16" and refilled the system with the engine running and adding the antifreeze slowly. So far its working so maybe it was just because of air in the system. I suspect that getting air out of this motor isn't easy.The Thermostat is about 4" lower then the top of the intake and the thermostat housing does have a pipe on it that is higher then the top of the intake so its possible that I had trapped air someplace causing the problem. Of course I did have to add a liter of antifreeze more then I took out but in my defense I did spill some etc: just not sure if I spilled that much.. Time will tell if its going to work properly.

Edited by massey driver, November 24, 2014 - 08:41 AM.

• MH81 said thank you

#29 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • 3,447 Thanks
  • 3,356 posts

Posted November 24, 2014 - 09:32 PM

I somehow thought you'd said you changed the intake gaskets. Sorry.

#30 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,479 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted November 25, 2014 - 08:01 AM

Glad to hear it's working. Sounds like you may have had some type of air lock 

Don't hear too much about the top hose collapsing since that is usually the return to the rad, I've seen them swell up like a balloon with pressure though.

I always drill a 1/8" hole in my thermstats before replacing, it allows an air trapped behind it to be pushed out. I['ve never had an air pocket since doing it.