#1 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,055 Thanks
  • 1,436 posts

Posted November 21, 2014 - 08:50 PM

This is a new one to me.Got this truck a month ago for my Grandson and he's telling me that the check guages light comes on and the heat guage goes up quick then drops down to normal. Well today I took the truck out for a ride and sure enough thats what it does.I opened the Hood with the truck running and noticed that the upper rad hose was sort of sucked in. I reved up the motor and sure enough the upper Rad hose almost sucked itself shut. Also seems like its got a pulsing that you can feel when you hold the hose. Once it idles the hose comes back to its round shape.What the is causing this. I've never owned a Ford and have never had this happen before. So just wondering what it could be. I've searched the net to find all possible solutions eg install a spring into the hoses to keep them from collapsing .Install new hoses as these are possibly old and not able to take the pressure. So far I've installed a new thermostat,new heater valve, pulled the rad to make sure its not plugged internally and externally. Tommoro I'll try the spring in the hose's to see if that will help. Just wondering if anyone has had this happen and what the solution was.Thanks .

#2 trowel OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted November 21, 2014 - 09:04 PM

Thermostat is going out of it, replacement should rectify it.

#3 Sawdust OFFLINE  

• Member No: 36549
  • 4,516 Thanks
  • 2,827 posts

Posted November 21, 2014 - 09:07 PM

Change your radiator cap before you do anything else. Sometimes the cap dosen't release as the engine cools so the hose collapses. Let us know.
  • DougT said thank you

#4 Jack OFFLINE  

• Member No: 9304
  • 1,124 Thanks
  • 766 posts

Posted November 21, 2014 - 09:24 PM

+1 on the Rad Cap..

#5 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,055 Thanks
  • 1,436 posts

Posted November 21, 2014 - 09:31 PM

New cap , new thermostat already installed. The hose is fine when the truck is just ideling .When I rev it up is when it sucks together.This is once the motor is hot and the upper rad hose is hot.

#6 Kmac1 ONLINE  

• Member No: 62275
  • 517 Thanks
  • 218 posts

Posted November 21, 2014 - 09:37 PM

this happened to me when I worked at a dealership, someone had taken the intake off and put the intake gaskets on backwards.  on a dodge the gasket has a bleed hole at the back and a full open water passage at the front, you get them reversed and it will suck the upper hose shut.  may be the same on a ford I'm not sure

#7 tater195 OFFLINE  

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,260 Thanks
  • 897 posts

Posted November 21, 2014 - 09:57 PM

That one has me stumped. I will throw the few things out to chew on.

The top hose should be the "return" to the radiator and shouldnt have vacuum on it.

If you have a vacuum on the water jacket, the anti freeze level will drop over time because it will be sucked out by what ever  is causing the vacuum. The most likely suspect is the intake gasket as mentioned above. This will show up as steam from the exhaust and fouled plug(s). 

A blown head gasket will cause air to enter the water jacket and this will lessen the cooling effect of the water, causing the engine to over heat , raising the pressure in the cooling system.

Have you checked the belt routing? the water pump could be turning backwards or wrong waterpump with reversed vanes/ mexican rebuild

Edited by tater195, November 21, 2014 - 10:00 PM.

• KennyP said thank you

#8 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,399 Thanks
  • 1,863 posts

Posted November 21, 2014 - 10:06 PM

hose may just be weak... usually the spring is in the lower hose if any, NOT the upper... and the last few years any hose you buy no matter the brand  even the lowers don't come with them no more..... counter help claims "they make them different now a days"  I have taken the old spring out of the old hose and stuck it into a new hose more than once over the last 5 years or so.... but never an upper

#9 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,048 Thanks
  • 4,978 posts

Posted November 21, 2014 - 10:16 PM

Check the overflow vent. Make sure it's not plugged.

#10 ol' stonebreaker OFFLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,262 Thanks
  • 948 posts

Posted November 21, 2014 - 11:06 PM

Normal cooling system pressure created by a good working cap shouldn't let the top hose collapse if it's connected to the thermostat housing. On a similar vein my 4 cyl Nissan p/u has the hose from the bottom of the rad connected to the thermostat housing. I checked my FSM and they're connected right. First cooling system I've seen w/ hot water going in the bottom of the rad.

Edited by ol' stonebreaker, November 21, 2014 - 11:07 PM.

#11 Freddie1911 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 60791
  • 149 Thanks
  • 98 posts

Posted November 22, 2014 - 01:34 AM

If the system has been drained & refilled, could have trapped air. With the system cool find the high point and purge the air out. keep the level up in the radiator while doing this.

#12 Freddie1911 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 60791
  • 149 Thanks
  • 98 posts

Posted November 22, 2014 - 01:37 AM

Should have noted the high point on the engine.

#13 1oldbuzz OFFLINE  

• Member No: 61298
  • 254 Thanks
  • 243 posts

Posted November 22, 2014 - 05:11 AM

Very possible the belt is on wrong,

with these serpentine belt systems they will fit on wrong.

causing water pump to turn the wrong direction

#14 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,055 Thanks
  • 1,436 posts

Posted November 22, 2014 - 08:34 AM

Thanks for all the info. All of the above have pretty much been checked except for the intake gasket leak. I also know that if the head gasket is blown it'll be pushing air in and antifreeze out. I'll  pull the plugs today and see if anything looks like it's got something going on with any. I will try the spring in the hose and see if that helps. The hose has me wondering if its just gotten weak over time.If by putting the spring in if it works then I'll leave it for awhile and buy a new hose in the future.

#15 DennyIN OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 52096
  • 290 Thanks
  • 181 posts

Posted November 22, 2014 - 11:48 AM

You didn't state what year or engine the vehicle is. It is normal to create a vacuum at the top hose during acceleration, but coolant should be pulled into the system from the overflow bottle. As toomanytoys84 mentioned, make sure the hose to the overflow bottle is not plugged/restricted. Remove the hose at the filler neck that the cap attaches to and with an air hose nozzle, introduce air into the hose going to the overflow bottle to make sure there is no restriction in the hose/bottle/bottle cap (no cost). If there is no restriction, then as Sawdust and Jack mentioned I would replace the new cap, with a new Stant radiator cap and try it again (low cost). I had a friend complain about this in his new truck, turned out he always added bars stop leak in every new vehicle he got and it restricted the overflow hose enough that during cool down, the hose collapsed.  

• Sawdust said thank you