26 replies to this topic

#16 adamscr OFFLINE  

adamscr

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2081
  • 1 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted February 24, 2011 - 02:54 PM

Does anyone know if the pto shaft U-joints are rebuildable? It looks like they are pressed together and then crimped so they won't come apart. I read a post someplace where someone had found replacement joints that could be welded in. I've noticed that none of the joints on the 1855 have grease fittings. My MF14 has two joints in the drive shaft and both have fittings. Seems like a backward step. However, the 1855 has fittings at both ends and center pivot of the front axle where I had to add them to the 14.

BTW, here is the number on the intact belt from the deck: Dayco 12248M25.

#17 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,629 Thanks
  • 3,869 posts

Posted February 24, 2011 - 03:32 PM

I use Weasel #6 yokes.
At most implement dealers and TSC also Fleet Farm.
Good luck on those timing belt. I have not been able To source those puppies.

#18 adamscr OFFLINE  

adamscr

• Contributor
  • 1 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted February 24, 2011 - 07:22 PM

As far as the rectifier/regulator issue is concerned, I found this on the net and ordered it: Kohler Voltage Regulators. Part number AKH6001 looks to be the same and has the same pinouts. I'll let y'all know how it works.

#19 adamscr OFFLINE  

adamscr

• Contributor
  • 1 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted February 24, 2011 - 07:29 PM

Ducky - Do the Weasler yokes come disassembled? I assume you welded them onto the end of the shafts and the heat would boil out the grease and burn the seals if they were already assembled. I couldn't find a price on them either. Thanks for your input, BTW.

#20 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted February 24, 2011 - 07:39 PM

As far as the rectifier/regulator issue is concerned, I found this on the net and ordered it: Kohler Voltage Regulators. Part number AKH6001 looks to be the same and has the same pinouts. I'll let y'all know how it works.

That will work perfectly!

#21 newtothis OFFLINE  

newtothis
  • Member No: 10773
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted August 04, 2012 - 12:57 AM

New guy here. A friend just told me he has a 1983 Snapper model 1855 with tiller and mower deck that he wants to give me.
I know nothing about these tractors so I will probably be asking a lot of questions.
Thanks for allowing me to lurk here for a while.

#22 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted August 04, 2012 - 07:57 AM

New guy here. A friend just told me he has a 1983 Snapper model 1855 with tiller and mower deck that he wants to give me.
I know nothing about these tractors so I will probably be asking a lot of questions.
Thanks for allowing me to lurk here for a while.

Please start your own thread about your tractor. Will be glad to help any way we can! And Welcome to GTT! PS....you'll love that tractor when you get it lined out!

#23 adolphsson09 ONLINE  

adolphsson09
  • Member No: 9844
  • 249 Thanks
  • 316 posts

Posted October 20, 2012 - 11:59 PM

Well, I started in on my "new" Snapper 1855 a couple days ago. When I bought it, the guy I bought it from said the carb was messed up. Well, the carb wasn’t that bad but it had several other issues. I did clean the carb and all the parts were there except one of the screws that hold the air cleaner on. The integral pump may be an issue as the diaphragm was not very flexible. Someone had added an external pump but had both lines plugged into the output ports. What were they thinking? Took that juryrig off and ran the vacuum pulse line back to the original pump. The tank was off so I dumped a little gas into the carb and gave the starter a spin. At least it turned over but never fired and sounded uneven when it spun. Disappointment! Pulled the plugs and checked for fire. No fire with the starter spinning but when I released the key I would see a spark or two while the engine was spinning down. Interesting. That’s when I found the ignition switch was Toro. Then I ran a wire straight from the battery to the coil and tried it again and, yes, we have fire! Put the plugs back in, dumped in some gas and gave her another spin and she kicked off and ran for a few seconds. I should have been thrilled but you could tell she was only hitting on one side. Pulled the plugs again and put my thumb over the holes and spun it again and sure enough it only had compression on one cylinder and you could hear it huffing through the carb. Major disappointment! After crying for a while, I pulled the head expecting to find a valve embedded in the piston or something of the sort. The intake valve was stuck open and after a little investigation I found the third screw for the air cleaner. Major relief! Put her all back together and tried her again. She fired up and ran on both cylinders for a few seconds. Put the tank back on, dumped in some gas and fired her up and she ran but was rough. After wasting a day messing with the carb I finally figured out the condenser was bad. Replaced it with one from a Kohler and she purrs like a kitten. New switch and carb kit is on the way but now it looks like my regulator is bad. 15VAC in (at idle) but zero volts out. Oh well, one step at a time.

#24 adolphsson09 ONLINE  

adolphsson09
  • Member No: 9844
  • 249 Thanks
  • 316 posts

Posted February 02, 2013 - 02:39 PM

Im guessing you are not the only one who has had that trouble with the 3rd screw missing I loaned my tractor and tiller out to the neighbor one time and he said it ran great til they went to load it up and it started running badly We played around with it for awhile trying to figure out what was wrong and figured a valve or something had broken We took the head off the left side and low and behold one of the valves was stuck open cant remember which one anyhow after closer examination we found a screw stuck in there holding the valve open Then out of curiosity we looked at the top of the carb and there was a screw missing  Wonder how many people have had this trouble

#25 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted February 02, 2013 - 02:51 PM

after closer examination we found a screw stuck in there holding the valve open Then out of curiosity we looked at the top of the carb and there was a screw missing  Wonder how many people have had this trouble

I've found this 3 times myself on "new to me tractors".

#26 TUDOR OFFLINE  

TUDOR

Tractorholic

• Member No: 915
  • 543 Thanks
  • 497 posts

Posted February 08, 2013 - 05:32 AM

I've had it happen to me!

#27 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,455 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted February 08, 2013 - 06:50 AM

On my tractors with the possibility of this happening, I have used a piece of metal window screen across the top of the carb so they don't go in there.

• Alc said thank you