• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 classic OFFLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 3,446 Thanks
  • 1,597 posts

Posted November 21, 2014 - 05:52 PM

When I would start the Squire yesterday it would puff out some blue smoke until it warmed up. Once the engine was hot, I didn't notice smoke unless I throttled it down then throttled it back up. It was definitely getting oil past the rings. I had a set of new rings that came with a WW2 generator with a Briggs ZZ on it, and an NOS rod and gasket set I picked up a while back for my Allis B1 engine. I didn't have a new piston, but I did have an excellent used piston that I saved from a Briggs 23D. The Briggs 23d and Briggs model 19 use the same piston, 294676, and the ZZ, 23d, and 19 use the same rings.
I didn't plan on cleaning all of the tin spotless since I just wanted to stop the engine from smoking. Other than the smoke, the engine ran great and there was no valve noise. After pulling the head, I could see stake marks around the valve seats, so someone replace them at some point. Also, there was actually a puddle of oil on top of the piston and I could see that the ring gap in the top compression ring was excessive.I slid a new std. piston ring down in the bore and came up with .014, so a set of new rings would make a world of difference.The cylinder was in real good shape, but the piston looked pretty worn.The used piston from the 23d was .003 bigger in diameter at the skirt, so that would help. The NOS rod was tighter by .0015, so that would tighten things up on the bottom end.
I lightly honed the cylinder, installed the piston assembly, and put the engine back together. I installed a new front crankshaft seal, oil pan gasket, carb manifold gaskets,a front cover gasket,and a new head gasket. I fired it up just before dark and it runs like a top! I'll retorque the head tomorrow and use the tractor to go get firewood.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20141121_124642-1-1.jpg
  • 20141121_124841-1.jpg
  • 20141121_135327.jpg
  • 20141121_153919.jpg
  • 20141121_165329-1.jpg

Edited by classic, November 21, 2014 - 06:21 PM.

• Alc, trowel, farmerall and 7 others have said thanks

#2 HANKG ONLINE  

HANKG
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,867 Thanks
  • 2,788 posts

Posted November 21, 2014 - 06:43 PM

Wow looks great nice work.

• classic said thank you

#3 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,597 Thanks
  • 7,654 posts

Posted November 21, 2014 - 06:47 PM

It sounds like you've done this more than once. Good job!

• classic said thank you

#4 classic OFFLINE  

classic
  • 3,446 Thanks
  • 1,597 posts

Posted November 21, 2014 - 07:01 PM

Yup, been tearing into the old cast iron Briggs engines lately. These things are like working on an old Chevy, many parts interchange and very simple to work on. The parts are cheap for the old Briggs engines, also. I had the day off, so I started tearing into it at 10:30am and had it back together and running by 5pm. You can find some good deals on tractors that need some engine work, and it pays off.
  • trowel and boyscout862 have said thanks

#5 classic OFFLINE  

classic
  • 3,446 Thanks
  • 1,597 posts

Posted November 21, 2014 - 07:21 PM

This was one of the Craigslist add pics of the tractor when It was up for sale. It had blown out wheelbarrow tires on the front, and the tubes were about to bust through the Wards Riverside on the back. The owner said it had a new battery in it, new in 2011 according to the sticker on the battery. It was definitely sitting for a while, but overall it's in pretty good shape. Now that everything is working as it should, I'll spend some time cleaning it up.

Attached Thumbnails

• 00m0m_ic4S8RiHq9K_600x450-1.jpg

Edited by classic, November 21, 2014 - 07:34 PM.

• trowel and boyscout862 have said thanks

#6 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,686 Thanks
  • 8,884 posts

Posted November 21, 2014 - 07:35 PM

I was wondering if you would consider moving closer to my house. About 99.99% percent closer, and teach me; Obiwan.
  • classic said thank you

#7 classic OFFLINE  

classic
  • 3,446 Thanks
  • 1,597 posts

Posted November 21, 2014 - 08:01 PM

It's a heck of alot easier than you think, Obie. Once you get an engine rebuild under your belt, it's all downhill from there. These forums and various manuals are all you need.
  • trowel and Cat385B have said thanks

#8 Ranger2000 OFFLINE  

Ranger2000
  • Member No: 61505
  • 44 Thanks
  • 39 posts

Posted November 22, 2014 - 11:40 AM

Sounds like a great job you done there Classic. Thanks for the post.
When I was about ten years old my father bought me a home made go kart with some odd ball conveyor belt engine on it and one day he was going to get me some gas for it on his way home from work but he didn't get home from work until after 4 PM and I got tire of waiting and wanted to plat with it so when he did get home the engine was in a million parts. The only thing I didn't take apart was the carburetor, and
I thought daddy would kill me from the yelling he was doing but he finally went on inside. I remember it very well because my mother kept telling that story to people for years to come.
Well, about two hours later I had made the crank case gasket from a back of a note book the way my uncle did it sometimes and I had put it all back together and was riding it when daddy ask her to see what that noise was outside and he had to look for himself when she told him it was me and Mark riding my go kart.
Then when I was 13 or 14 I took small engine mechanics in Jr. High School and got straight A's, but I couldn't tear one of them things apart and put it back together and make it run again today if I had to.
Well, I probably could but I ain't looking forward to needing to find out whether I could or not, LOL.

Godspeed

Ranger
  • classic said thank you

#9 classic OFFLINE  

classic
  • 3,446 Thanks
  • 1,597 posts

Posted November 22, 2014 - 02:47 PM

Great story Ranger, thanks for sharing and you're welcome. Santa spent hours assembling new toy boxes for me and my brother many years ago. My brother and I woke up before sunrise to see what Santa left under the tree for us. When our parents woke up and stumbled out to the living room that Christmas morning, their jaws dropped. Santa brought us each a tool kit also, so we tried out the new tools by disassembling the toy boxes, HA!