• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 classic OFFLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 3,467 Thanks
  • 1,610 posts

Posted November 20, 2014 - 06:43 PM

So I set out today to try out the tiller on the Squire I just got the other day. I never hooked a tiller up to the Simplicity family of tractors, but it looked simple enough. I slid the tiller into the sleeve hitch and installed the pins through the bottom tiller bracket and into the hitch...simple enough, right? Well, when I went to raise the tiller off the ground, I realized that the lift handle was all the way forward. Ok, I'll just turn in the turn buckles on the lift rod...wrong! The turn buckles were almost bottomed out on the threads already. I checked the lengths of some spare lift rods and they were the same. Now what? I looked online for pics and found some tillers mounted up and they were hooked up just like mine. I took a look again at the lift assembly and there it was! Somehow, the rock shaft got badly twisted and bent and it needed to be replaced. I removed a couple of these rock shafts in the past and they were a pain to do. I got the puller out, cursed more than a few times, but out it came. I can't believe how far the shaft twisted near the key slots and didn't snap. Anyway, I installed a spare rock shaft, found a 42" belt for the tiller in the shed, and made a pass in the garden just before dark. The tiller works great and I'll service it over the winter so it's ready for spring.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20141120_154422-1.jpg
  • 20141120_154436-1.jpg
  • 20141120_164839-1.jpg

• Bill56, Gtractor, trowel and 2 others have said thanks

#2 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted November 20, 2014 - 07:01 PM

Wow ! never see that before, and the turnbuckles did not break ?

Hey, that looks good, lot better then the walk behind ground pounders, the seat looks to be in very good shape.

• Bill56 and classic have said thanks

#3 classic OFFLINE  

classic
  • 3,467 Thanks
  • 1,610 posts

Posted November 20, 2014 - 07:14 PM

It's a first for me too, trowel. It's usually one of those parts that never goes bad. The turnbuckles were fine, but the lift rod did have a slight bend in it that straightened out easily. I borrowed the seat from my B1 until I can have Mary make one for me. Hopefully she is still making them, and if not, 2" pleated white vinyl is available on ebay, along with orange vinyl.
  • Bill56 said thank you

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,735 posts

Posted November 20, 2014 - 07:15 PM

Wow! That's a bit of twist!

• classic said thank you

#5 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted November 20, 2014 - 07:16 PM

Glad you got it fixed.  It is such an easy thing to ride a tractor around the garden compared to following a Troybilt in circles. 

Wow ! never see that before, and the turnbuckles did not break ?

I agree, Jesse.  Ol' Simplicity must have sourced some heavy heavy duty ones!

Ben W.

• trowel, boyscout862 and classic have said thanks

#6 classic OFFLINE  

classic
  • 3,467 Thanks
  • 1,610 posts

Posted November 20, 2014 - 07:23 PM

This is the first garden tractor tiller I've ever had and I like it! I remember using an old front tine tiller with a Clinton engine on it that my Dad had. It was always hard to start, it was small, and my arms are probably 5" longer than they should be.
  • Bill56 and trowel have said thanks

#7 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,809 Thanks
  • 2,223 posts

Posted November 20, 2014 - 09:05 PM

Whatever you do don't back up with that tiller engaged !!!!!!  I thought I was going to be smart a few years ago and get a stubborn rock out of my garden :wallbanging: went over it then figured I would back up a bit and kick that rock out.  backed rite into it and pop!!!!! :mad2: broke the main shaft on the tiller clean in two.  Don't back up with that tiller!!!!

Otherwise nice looking machine, you will have loads of fun with it, I till lots of gardens with mine.  good $$$ maker in the spring

Pete

• trowel and classic have said thanks

#8 classic OFFLINE  

classic
  • 3,467 Thanks
  • 1,610 posts

Posted November 20, 2014 - 09:31 PM

Thanks for the heads up Pete, that's good to know. I picked this one up in Fort Edward.