15 replies to this topic

#1 dryrun OFFLINE  

dryrun

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1559
  • 56 Thanks
  • 342 posts

Posted February 23, 2011 - 08:10 PM

Hey guys, hate to be a pain about this high speed internet thing, but I am getting a lot of negative feedback about HughesNet. Is anybody using any other companies, and how are they doing?

Would appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks, George

#2 jj69chev OFFLINE  

jj69chev

Tractorholic

• Member No: 626
  • 24 Thanks
  • 150 posts

Posted February 23, 2011 - 08:22 PM

From what i hear stay way from HughesNet. Friend of mine had it and said dial up was better

#3 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,115 posts

Posted February 23, 2011 - 09:26 PM

Bad thing about the satellite setup is it will be the same from all. Have you looked into some type of internet thru the cellphone carriers like verizion or one of the others.we had that for a bit before att offered it.It was better then hughes but notmuch cheaper.Don't know what it runs price wise now.

#4 WQDL753 OFFLINE  

WQDL753

Bolensholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1407
  • 59 Thanks
  • 301 posts

Posted February 24, 2011 - 05:10 AM

Sorry, havn't kept up with it since we were able to get dsl.
Last I knew when we were about to go that route, was downloads were good, dial up will not compare, the ones that say they are faster than normal dial up either compress or eliminate all the graphics.

Uploads were about the same as dial up...I think that has changed though.

Ping time is the biggest drawback, for an example of what that means, find a local radio station that has a "listen live" feature on the website(npr usualy does). Tune in the station on the radio and the computer, notice the delay(and the wife freeking out from the echo). Double or triple that delay for satilite conection.
This will only effect you for interactive content, ie. online gaming or chatrooms. Otherwise it will be an improvement.
I don't know where the cost is these days though....hope this helps.

#5 poncho62 OFFLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 631 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted February 24, 2011 - 06:17 AM

I had the Canadian version of Hughesnet for 2 years...It sucked....Any cloudiness or rain and it went down.....It is faster than dialup, but not nearly as fast as DSL, which I cant get here

I am now on cellular....much better, but also more expensive...you pay by how much data you use, so I have to watch it,,,,average about 80-100 bucks/month

#6 Byron R OFFLINE  

Byron R

• Member No: 57
  • 57 Thanks
  • 120 posts

Posted February 24, 2011 - 08:39 PM

My buddy just bought one of these for less than $20...and is on line... Long range High Power USB Wireless Wifi Adapter 1000mW - eBay (item 350364087630 end time Mar-04-11 14:26:40 PST)

#7 poncho62 OFFLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 631 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted February 25, 2011 - 05:47 AM

My buddy just bought one of these for less than $20...and is on line... Long range High Power USB Wireless Wifi Adapter 1000mW - eBay (item 350364087630 end time Mar-04-11 14:26:40 PST)

That would be great, if you had a free wireless network to tap into............

#8 Tmo OFFLINE  

Tmo

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2023
  • 356 Thanks
  • 486 posts

Posted February 25, 2011 - 07:01 AM

I have Hughesnet, but not the basic. I moved up a notch to get a little faster speed and higher bandwidth usage. It's a lot faster than dial up, and if it wasn't for the fast cable internet we used here at work, I would be really happy with Hughesnet. But, since I do have the cable hook up here at work, I'm able to compare and therefore, I would like something faster than Hughesnet. Also, to move up in speed and bandwidth usage, it's expensive. I can't get DSL or cable at home, nor do we have a good cell phone signal.

#9 dryrun OFFLINE  

dryrun

Tractorholic

• 56 Thanks
  • 342 posts

Posted February 28, 2011 - 05:48 AM

Hey guys, thanks for replies. Still not sure what to do, had tornado go over us this am. Sat tv rain fade, so that tells me that sat internet would be off too. Cell phone voice was out, text was still usable. Only reliable contact for me was dial up. At this time, I think I will keep my dial up, and let daughter go ahead with sat.

Again, thanks for very helpful replies, George

#10 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 28, 2011 - 06:15 AM

You know it is a shame that all services are not available in all areas by now. What really sucks is if there is only one type of service available you don't really have any choice. It is a shame with technology that all aspects and all services can't get better.

#11 dryrun OFFLINE  

dryrun

Tractorholic

• 56 Thanks
  • 342 posts

Posted February 28, 2011 - 06:39 AM

I think that the answer to all the problems could be solved if fiber optic cable could be extended to everybody. From what I hear, that will give everybody just about equal access. Radio signals, satellite reception, Microwave are all unreliable out in these hills where I live. The only thing that has proven itself is underground, hard wiring in phone lines. The only time we have a phone problem is when power is interupted to switching unit east of us. Backup batteries only last about 3 hours, and phone is out until service man can bring out generator and get back up again. I checked with phone company last week, we are on schedule to receive fiber optic cable early in 2013. Some talking heads are predicting end of world in Dec. 2012, so as Maxwell Smart says, "MISSED BY THAT MUCH!"

#12 Tmo OFFLINE  

Tmo

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2023
  • 356 Thanks
  • 486 posts

Posted February 28, 2011 - 07:21 AM

You know it is a shame that all services are not available in all areas by now. What really sucks is if there is only one type of service available you don't really have any choice. It is a shame with technology that all aspects and all services can't get better.

I guess that's why Hughesnet and Wild Blue is able to charge as much for their service that they do. They know they are the only game in town, unless you stay with dial up, therefore, they stick it to you on the prices. The truth is, there are probably some areas that will never see cable or dsl. My area is one of them. I live in a rural area, and there are some of us who have good jobs, but a lot of the county I live in is poor. So, getting cable and dsl isn't a priority with the Charter Cable or ATT.

#13 dryrun OFFLINE  

dryrun

Tractorholic

• 56 Thanks
  • 342 posts

Posted February 28, 2011 - 12:39 PM

Tmo, Hughesnet has this huge promotion going right now because the Recovery Act gives them money to sign people up for basic service. When money runs out, promo will end, and bill will go back to regular rate.

Like somebody said, "IF MONEY AIN'T THERE, THEY DON'T CARE"

I do beleive somebody is missing an opportunity here. I have noticed that even out here in the hills, there are errant wifi signals at certain times. Why not explore the possibility of small repeater stations in the worst areas, that could be supported by a small yearly fee. Ham radio operators do this all the time with 2 meter, and they do it on their own with no financial support. Seems to me there is an idea here that could be explored. It would not have to be perfect, or blazing fast. As an old geezer on fixed income, with a few acres of ground, I would gladly fence off a lot where unit could be set up. Not talking something huge, just a small repeater station.

As much as Amateur Operators have embraced internet, maybe a little feedback from them would reveal feasibility?

Just wondering,

George

#14 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,620 Thanks
  • 3,857 posts

Posted May 06, 2011 - 01:35 PM

Got some specs on that thing. Kinda got China written all over it.
Posted Image

Posted Image

1000mW USB Wireless Adapter RTL8187L 6DBI 16G laptop work windows 7
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

High Output Power up to 1000mW for extend the coverage range up to 5x that standard USB adapters

* Operating distance of up to 1000 meters in free space

* Plug -and-Play compatible with all computers.

* Software AP Function, Support PSP, X-Link, QoS, WMM, BT3

* High security 64/128/256bit WEP Encryption, TKIP, WPA, 802.11

Posted Image

• dryrun said thank you

#15 Byron R OFFLINE  

Byron R

• Member No: 57
  • 57 Thanks
  • 120 posts

Posted May 06, 2011 - 04:19 PM

ducky:: yea i agree ...my buddy lives within a block and a half of the library in town..and thinks thats were he is picking up his wifi..I live about 1/4 mile from a McDonalds that advertises free wifi..he said it's allittle better than dial-up..i think i could handle that for free..only the initial cost of unit..and no monthly payment..B,
  • dryrun said thank you