5 replies to this topic

#1 Sparky OFFLINE  

Sparky

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1574
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted February 23, 2011 - 12:25 PM

Lots of ideas have been discussed on advantages or disadvantages of electrics. The Electraks had been touted to be capable of maintaining golf courses - well manicured and weed free. Even mowing alfalfa according to design team member - but even he said it was a ridiculous application. And battery technology was needing to be improved - admitted to by experts in 1969. All on line. The main advantages were low noise and fumes. Air conditioning , double pain windows and interactions with home entertaintment were not what they are now. Improvements in ice machines mitigated the other advantage. ICE = int combustion. The question of large capacity could be met with Lithium ion but that opens new topic areas. And cost, well that has been discussed by two METI members. They had expected to make a limited go of it. The cheap machines being offered currently are basically throw aways. The original Electraks turned out to be almost virtual time capsules -to the detriment of motor cooling. My three cents worth at this time. Edit-additional.my reason for using them? Allergies petroleum chemical etc. And I do it because it interests me. The technology helped sink the Japanese navy.

Edited by Sparky, February 23, 2011 - 02:21 PM.
More info

#2 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,289 Thanks
  • 28,622 posts

Posted February 24, 2011 - 08:04 AM

There have been improvements to the battery technology since the 70's.
But the "Bigger & Better" has been countered with "Cheaper & Faster".
The Electric GT was an idea way ahead of it's time, but as we go forward with rising gas & etc...
the idea may well be gaining ground again.
Hopefully, they will be built with the same quality in their next incarnation.

#3 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted February 24, 2011 - 03:51 PM

Sparky I don't think I could mow more than a couple two, three acres before I would need to plug my Electrak in.
Mine is certainly a time capsule. What do you do with yours besides mow? Do you have a snow blower or other attachments?

#4 Sparky OFFLINE  

Sparky

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1574
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted February 24, 2011 - 08:00 PM

My additional implements are snow blower, weed wacker, hedge trimmer, flail mower (mott-24volt) . A stretch E20 for yard work. And 42 and 48 inch front blades. A Haban project hasnt proved successful yet.

#5 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 24, 2011 - 08:17 PM

I would love to see a well built quality electric garden tractor, one with styling of the older ones most of us love powered with newer battery technology that didn't break the bank. Li-ion batteries have come a long way and their price has slowly dropped. Probably not enough of a price drop but it is sure to continue.

There is a battery maker, I think it is A321 cells or something we used for our r/c planes. Awesome batteries with high amp current and fast charge rates. Granted these are smaller cells but the tech is there, would love to see it as a viable solution.

#6 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted February 24, 2011 - 08:18 PM

The weed wacker is cool. I want a hand tiller if I can ever find one.