17 replies to this topic

#1 oldiron1 OFFLINE  

oldiron1
  • Member No: 43924
  • 292 Thanks
  • 182 posts

Posted November 19, 2014 - 02:07 PM

Hi Guys,

From what I've read and figured out, it appears that there was a "Deluxe" version of the Economy offered in 1949/1950 before the more common, round hood was offered. It seems that the unique hood and the optional "automotive" type steering with Ross gearbox and conventional tie-rod steering rather than the "standard" tractor which would have included chain steering is basically what made it a Deluxe model. 

Additionally, it looks to me that there was even a more-extensive "Deluxe" version available which was the "De Luxe - Electric" model, that additionally included electric starter, generator, battery and headlights.

I found a 1949 brochure with the below pictures/descriptions in it as well as a 1950 price list which includes both deluxe versions. I have a 1948 brochure/parts list that doesn't include a "deluxe" option in that one as well as a 1951 brochure which doesn't have it in there either, nor an option for a hood. The 1951 brochure does though, include an option for electric start, but find it funny that it's a $125 option because it's only available with a Wisconsin AEHS engine, which you'd have to purchase and install as well.....

So from what I can tell, this "Deluxe" model with the unique, squared off hood was only an option in 1949 and 1950. Has anyone ever seen one? I have recently spotted a 1949 version, but it's the only one I've ever stumbled across. Has anyone else seen one or know of one?

EconomyDeluxe_zpsfdc394aa.jpg

EconomyDeluxe2_zps9e0426ae.jpg

Thanks, Rob

Edited by oldiron1, November 19, 2014 - 02:18 PM.

• Alc, hamman, David Brown and 3 others have said thanks

#2 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,461 posts

Posted November 19, 2014 - 05:36 PM

I think you found correct info. sometimes whether they had brakes or what type of brakes was a difference. I have never seen that squarish hood either.  PK made lots of different changes, many as the went along in years and you find many tractors that seem almost one-off with changes or parts.  I wonder if many times they built tractors with whatever parts they had on hand at moment, and some may have been missing things or have some added when not actually in brochures??

Bill Cunningham and his wife in IN have all kinds of Lit and info for the early tractors, plus several models in his collection. Maybe he will see this and put in comments. I'm not sure his user name here.

#3 cpg OFFLINE  

cpg
  • Member No: 57994
  • 244 Thanks
  • 147 posts

Posted November 19, 2014 - 07:15 PM

Looks like the "Deluxe" also had just a little bit bigger tires: 7-24 vs 6-24

#4 oldiron1 OFFLINE  

oldiron1
  • 292 Thanks
  • 182 posts

Posted November 19, 2014 - 07:29 PM

Looks like the "Deluxe" also had just a little bit bigger tires: 7-24 vs 6-24

Yes, you're right...The 1950 price list also shows an option for 8.00 X 24 rear tires as well which the 1949 "Deluxe Electric" model I recently spotted has on it.

#5 oldiron1 OFFLINE  

oldiron1
  • 292 Thanks
  • 182 posts

Posted November 25, 2014 - 04:54 PM

Hi Guys,

Well, I'm excited to report that I was able to make a deal on the 1949 Economy "DeLuxe - Electric" model that I spotted a couple of weeks ago, which was just delivered this afternoon. I'm very excited to dive into it and learn more about it! It's the only one that I've ever seen in person so far and seems to be a very well taken care of, original tractor with exception of a few "war wounds", or what I call character as I'd expect of any 65 year old tractor.  

Below are a few pictures which seems to match the literature well.

Has anyone seen another similar Deluxe model similar to this one?

Economy1_zps89b49b3b.jpg

Economy21_zpsf3193d7a.jpg

Economy31_zpsd8b08cdf.jpg

Economy3_zps7e8cf672.jpg

Edited by oldiron1, November 25, 2014 - 04:58 PM.

• Alc, Username and MNGB have said thanks

#6 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,461 posts

Posted November 25, 2014 - 05:50 PM

Nice shape! Has those odd fronts, like the chainsteers had, yet has steering box, that makes it diff from many.  Nice to get the blade with it and chains, try it out in snow, you will like it's power for pushing big snows. First I have seen that hood, and not sure that is orig light mounting, but hey, it looks like they belong there!

• oldiron1 said thank you

#7 oldiron1 OFFLINE  

oldiron1
  • 292 Thanks
  • 182 posts

Posted November 25, 2014 - 05:59 PM

Nice shape! Has those odd fronts, like the chainsteers had, yet has steering box, that makes it diff from many.  Nice to get the blade with it and chains, try it out in snow, you will like it's power for pushing big snows. First I have seen that hood, and not sure that is orig light mounting, but hey, it looks like they belong there!

Thanks!

The 1949 Price list that I have shows "Chain Steering" as standard, but the "Automotive type Steering" (with Ross gearbox and a normal tie-rod) as optional; but standard on the "Deluxe" model. That being said, from what I've researched, in 1949 and 1950, you could have an Economy with Chain steering or the automotive steering.

The lights look just like the headlights shown as standard equipment on the De Luxe-Electric model. I'm pretty sure they're original to the tractor as well.

I am anxious to try it out in the snow this week! :)

Edited by oldiron1, November 25, 2014 - 06:00 PM.

• Alc said thank you

#8 EconChuck OFFLINE  

EconChuck
  • Member No: 18979
  • 251 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted November 25, 2014 - 06:58 PM

Rob,

Congrats on the tractor! Awesome addition to your collection.

How did you end up getting it delivered to your location?

My 1956 Economy with electric start has the headlights in the same position and battery mounted in the same place.

Chuck

• Alc and oldiron1 have said thanks

#9 MNGB OFFLINE  

MNGB
  • Member No: 62466
  • 993 Thanks
  • 824 posts

Posted November 25, 2014 - 09:22 PM

Hi oldiron1, congrats on your new to you tractor, as others have said its in great condition for it age. Looking forward to reports on plowing snow with it.

• oldiron1 said thank you

#10 oldiron1 OFFLINE  

oldiron1
  • 292 Thanks
  • 182 posts

Posted November 25, 2014 - 10:37 PM

Rob,
Congrats on the tractor! Awesome addition to your collection.
How did you end up getting it delivered to your location?
My 1956 Economy with electric start has the headlights in the same position and battery mounted in the same place.
Chuck

Thanks Chuck!

I'm thrilled to have it. It's a sweet running and driving little tractor; and definitely unique to look at. It's interesting to me that it's a 6 volt starter/generator as I would have thought it would have been 12.

After I decided to purchase it, I put an ad on uship.com and found a gentleman who lives in IL and was out east last week that had room on his trailer who offered to pick it up and deliver it very reasonably so the stars ended up aligning petty quickly.

Rob

#11 EconChuck OFFLINE  

EconChuck
  • 251 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted November 26, 2014 - 09:31 AM

Rob,
It looks like the starter/generator pulley is on the crank between the flywheel and the block.
Is that how it works?
Chuck

Edited by EconChuck, November 26, 2014 - 09:38 AM.

#12 oldiron1 OFFLINE  

oldiron1
  • 292 Thanks
  • 182 posts

Posted November 26, 2014 - 10:03 AM

Rob,
It looks like the starter/generator pulley is on the crank between the flywheel and the block.
Is that how it works?
Chuck

Chuck,

Yes and no....

The generator pulley is indeed between the flywheel and the block, however it also has a separate 6 volt starter mounted under the generator. The ring gear and the generator pulley are both between the flywheel and the block. 

Rob

• Alc said thank you

#13 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,461 posts

Posted December 14, 2014 - 02:44 PM

Starter AND big generator?? Ring gear?  New ones to me! Most had starter/gens and set behind engine over the bellhousing. Also the 6 volt part seems odd.  Maybe the Wisconsin stuff was much diff back then? Ring gear NOT on the engine flywheel then? On rear?  Would like to see a parts book of that set-up! Wonder if "another" little known bell-housing then??  This sure  seems like a Rare version, so don't work it too hard and keep it nice.

#14 EconChuck OFFLINE  

EconChuck
  • 251 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted December 14, 2014 - 05:28 PM

Grumpy,

I'm not sure when the switch was made from 6 to 12 v. Most automotive was 6 v until the mid '50's. My '56 Economy with an AEN Wisc has a generator driven off the clutch v belt and mounted on top of the bellhousing like most starter/generator equipped. Howeever the starter is a bendix type that is monted on the side of the block and engages a ring gear on the motor flywheel. It is also 6 v.

Chuck

#15 oldiron1 OFFLINE  

oldiron1
  • 292 Thanks
  • 182 posts

Posted December 15, 2014 - 04:45 PM

Yep, this tractor has electric start from the factory utilizing both a starter/Bendix AND a separate 6 volt generator. 

The engine in this tractor is a Wisconsin AEHS, which I don't have a ton of familiarity with, however both the starter AND generator are located on the left (if sitting on the tractor) right side of the engine.

Behind the flywheel (between the flywheel and the block), there is a ring gear and a separate v-pulley. The starter is hardly visible, behind the battery and under the generator. 

For the record, this is the first time I've ever seen this setup from the factory as well. 

I really love this tractor...there is something about the way the AEH runs and the way this tractor drives that I can't get enough of. 

Rob