6 replies to this topic

#1 dealmaker1 OFFLINE  

dealmaker1
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 63379
  • 1 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted November 19, 2014 - 01:35 PM

Just acquired a 1980 Ford LGT 195 with the snow thrower attachment. In the middle of cleaning up the driveway with 2 feet of snow, the PTO stopped engaging. I checked the fuses that I could see and all seem fine. I do not hear anything that indicates its trying to work. I will start going through the wiring, but thought I would ask if there is anything common or a specific direction I should take. Any insight? I realy need to get this going as we have at least another foot if not 2 or 3 this week. HELP!

• hamman said thank you

#2 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted November 19, 2014 - 02:01 PM

Welcome to the site I take it you have an electric clutch. Take a voltage check at the clutch. If there is voltage there then check to make sure the clutch is grounded properly. If there is no voltage to the clutch then work your way back toward the battery until you have voltage. This will give you an idea where the problem is at. A 12v lighted probe will work.

mHD2LQyTKF0yissuDr3XPLA.jpg

• hamman and propane1 have said thanks

#3 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,586 posts

Posted November 19, 2014 - 03:10 PM

Might take a look at the switch for it. They do fail. With the light Cvans showed you you should be able to see if that's the problem real quick. Good luck let us know what you find.                                                                                                                                                                 Roger

• propane1 said thank you

#4 Bmerf OFFLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted November 19, 2014 - 03:50 PM

:welcometogttalk:  Welcome dealmaker.

The 195's have an electric clutch. Check the wiring as suggested. Mine was broke where it entered the clutch. Heat from the exhaust doesn't play nice with the wiring. If it is broke at where it enters the clutch housing, it can be fixed, my wife fixed mine. Be careful with that clutch, they are next to impossible to find and expensive. Hopefully this is not the case, Check all the other wires first, to ensure power is being applied. Let us know what the issue is.

Oh BTW, we like :camera:

• hamman and propane1 have said thanks

#5 propane1 OFFLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,115 Thanks
  • 3,206 posts

Posted November 19, 2014 - 04:32 PM

Also make sure the battery is charged up. If its low on voltage ,the clutch may not work.  Nice find on the tractor, never have seen one in my area.  Usually loose connection, bad switch or some thing simple on that kind of problem, normally magnets don't go bad, not any that I have had any way.    Noel 

#6 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted November 19, 2014 - 06:00 PM

:wave: Welcome to the fourm! Do you have the Repair/Service manual? Page 58 shows the wiring for the 195's. There is a seat switch involved with the PTO wiring, it could be malfunctioning. Pic help can be found in the link at the bottom of this post.

#7 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted November 19, 2014 - 07:33 PM

it can be fixed, my wife fixed mine.

How lucky can you be. I'll bet there are not many guys who can say that.  :D

Edited by Cvans, November 19, 2014 - 09:44 PM.

• Bmerf said thank you