• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 NCMau OFFLINE  

NCMau
  • Member No: 34666
  • 1 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted November 19, 2014 - 10:45 AM

I just bought a Craftsman 54 GT, mod 28861X. I have a leaf vacuum trailer that I used with my last mower. My question is how can you apply a standard (squarish) adapter to this type of deck. I has such difficult profile to be adapted. I suppose anything can be fabricated but I would rather buy it if I could find it. 
I would love to hear from anybody that has a leaf vacuum trailer setup for this type of deck on how they reached a solution.
1.JPG 2.JPG

#2 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,778 Thanks
  • 7,706 posts

Posted November 19, 2014 - 12:20 PM

you can buy a new adapter from sears/ looks as tho it needs to be cut to fit

http://c.shld.net/as...d_708586601.pdf

http://www.sears.com...directType=SRDT

Where in nc are you

#3 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,778 Thanks
  • 7,706 posts

Posted November 19, 2014 - 12:58 PM

http://vig.sellpoint...RFANY00003.html

Watch video 10

• NCMau said thank you

#4 NCMau OFFLINE  

NCMau
  • 1 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted November 19, 2014 - 01:17 PM

Thanks for the reply. I looked at this before, but it looks like this adapter can be mounted only at the discharge shoot. I don't know if this is the way it's meant to be. It seems like it would be on the flimsy side. Somebody in this forum must have done this mod.

I live in Stedman, Cumberland Co., and BTW I like the cool description of your profession. 

#5 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,778 Thanks
  • 7,706 posts

Posted November 19, 2014 - 03:20 PM

You are way out on the far side of NC. Glad to have you here.

That adapter looks like it is intended to be cut out to fit whatever.

I am curious to know how well that tractor holds up. I was looking at them. It looks like they put a bunch more stuff to break on it. I have an 07 Poulan (both are built by AYP) that is named the Hemorrhoid, because it is.

• NCMau said thank you

#6 diesel nut ONLINE  

diesel nut
  • Member No: 7572
  • 504 Thanks
  • 319 posts

Posted November 19, 2014 - 03:52 PM

I adapted a PECO vac to a new Cub Cadet for a customer and it has that kind of discharge on the deck.   I called PECO and asked about a specific boot for the deck and they said all that would work was their universal square one.   I didn't even try to use that because the thing is huge.  I took a boot for the Cub Cadet bagger and cut the end off that the tube goes on and got an adapter to go from the size of the boot to the size of the vac hose and it worked pretty decent.  That'd probably be the easiest way for you to go.  Hope this helps.           Stewart

• NCMau said thank you

#7 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,668 Thanks
  • 6,486 posts

Posted November 19, 2014 - 05:49 PM

I notice most modern decks have that opening cut open more on the top of housing that ever in past years. Why is that? for many years people would break that chute flapper off and never fix it and be fine with grass blowing out the side. NOW, if you break that off, and hit stuff, you cab be hit by flying items while just sitting on tractor and mowing. Seems kinda backwards that they would allow this. Zat supposed to make you buy that chute for the big money to be safe, OR, is it all just because  of grass pick-up systems needing to have that bigger, re-positioned opening to work w/out clogging?  I never understood that.

ON some of those plastic chutes is also a smaller section of metal with them that still moves with chute, but not as breakable. Maybe that is supposed to take place of deck top while mounted?

As noted, would sure think Sears has an attachment made for their tractors and would start looking there. Maybe some manual info for a pick-up system would be helpful to study?

• NCMau said thank you

#8 NCMau OFFLINE  

NCMau
  • 1 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted November 21, 2014 - 10:32 AM

You are way out on the far side of NC. Glad to have you here.

That adapter looks like it is intended to be cut out to fit whatever.

I am curious to know how well that tractor holds up. I was looking at them. It looks like they put a bunch more stuff to break on it. I have an 07 Poulan (both are built by AYP) that is named the Hemorrhoid, because it is.

The adapter is not made for this type of decks. If you look at the pics of my initial post, you can see that the deck has a large opening on top, not  not suitable for the available adapter. I guess i'm just fishing for a ready made boot, but it looks like I have to make some sort of modification.

I only had this tractor (GT 5500) two weeks and  I like it. Good power, insane speed which I'll never use for mowing, heavy duty transmission, little noisy but overall comfortable. So far no hemorrhoidal issues. The only thing that I don't like so far is that stupid keyless function (new in 2014). This is a really stupid idea so you don't loose the key. You have to punch a series of buttons, sometime more than once to get it started. Not only that this one more thing that can go wrong, and I'm sure it will.