67 424 Needs A Flange Bearing

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 wahoowad OFFLINE  

• Member No: 63279
  • 49 Thanks
  • 68 posts

Posted November 19, 2014 - 07:59 AM

Hi. I am going to pick up a '67 424 later this week but am concerned it won't roll up my ramps due to a broken flange bearing. I probably need to be prepared to fix it first but have never fooled with one and unsure what it will require. Do you think the bearing went inside the rim such that I can remove it and reinstall? Where can i get a bearing if I need a new one?

It is also missing a tie rod end clip so the other tire won't steer. I figure I can use a hose clamp or something to hold the tie rod end onto the ball to at leat get it home and around the yard?

#2 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,130 Thanks
  • 4,548 posts

Posted November 19, 2014 - 08:28 AM

Looks like the PO lost all the rollers out of that bearing..  They are quite easy to press the races out and replace the bearing after cleaning out the wheel hub.  It will be fine to roll up and down the ramps but steering will be a bit sloppy.  I'd have a friend available to grab/guide that wheel with the bad tie rod end though.  Maybe two hose clamps would make things better there?  Good Luck!

Edited by WNYTractorTinkerer, November 19, 2014 - 08:28 AM.

• wahoowad said thank you

#3 Gtractor OFFLINE  

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,350 Thanks
  • 3,797 posts

Posted November 19, 2014 - 10:17 AM

GREAT FIND on a one-year-only machine!

I also have a '67 424!  

I suppose you already know but others here may not - the 424 was made from '67 through '70 but only '67s had the starter/generator combo.  68 and later had gear drive starters.  

Thost gravelys are so light on the front it should roll fine. 

As for the tie-rod being unhooked,  grab the front tire that doesn't steer and lift straight up until the "knee action" axle reaches the end of its travel.  Place a block of wood [2X4 or such] between the frame and axle on the opposite side.  That will lock the non-steerable tire up off the ground and it won't give you any more trouble. 

Due to the worm drive rearend, its not going to push very easy.  If you have to roll it from a long ways or up a hill I suggest using another power source such as a four wheeler or another riding mower. 

:welcometogttalk:  and thanks for the pictures!!!

• Cat385B and wahoowad have said thanks

#4 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 8923
  • 9,443 Thanks
  • 7,336 posts

Posted November 19, 2014 - 12:13 PM

Welcome to GTT. You can get the wheel bearings from the suppliers that sponsor this site. Check our Manuals Section for more info. Good Luck, Rick 

#5 wahoowad OFFLINE  

• 49 Thanks
  • 68 posts

Posted November 19, 2014 - 03:23 PM

starter/generator combo

I guess I don't understand the benefit of the generator over  starter drive. Is this the same as an alternator?

#6 wahoowad OFFLINE  

• 49 Thanks
  • 68 posts

Posted November 19, 2014 - 03:29 PM

Oh...and I plan to use a hand winch to slowly pull it up my tailgate ramps and into the back of the pickup truck. I was thinking of pulling it up backwards

#7 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,453 Thanks
  • 6,342 posts

Posted November 19, 2014 - 06:02 PM

These are the times a LOW small trailer are much easier to use. Maybe you could rent or borrow one of those?  They have the big ramps back that won't slip off or you won't drive off no matter how bad it travels up them.

If you use those ramps, make sure you use safety straps to hole them tight to gate. Can hook them from ramps to the bumper bottom edge. I have seen many not using straps and they move and tractor falls off, maybe sideways and gets damaged. This is especially critical if you are having issues with it rolling easy.   Might try to find a ditch or low spot to put truck wheels down into and make angle much less to be safer if it should want to fall off. Worst part about come-alongs is the reach is short, you will need chains or straps to use with it, and then might have to stop, block up trctor, and re-connect chain shorter to get the movement you need to get all the way in truck. Set brake on tractor and take blocks to help hold tractor during the stops to change the chain position.

ON that bearing, looks kinda like the wheel might need to be fixed or replaced also, been running long time like that. Have you other wheels you can borrow off a tractor to just use for the move?  Most are 3/4" axles and will interchange.