• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 TokyoDrift99 OFFLINE  

TokyoDrift99
  • Member No: 59603
  • 80 Thanks
  • 112 posts

Posted November 18, 2014 - 10:21 PM

For whatever reason the input shaft for the hydro on my Bolens 1886 is severely pitted and rusty, and as a result of this the driveshaft coming from the engine doesn't fit snug on it. This causes the whole tractor to vibrate like mad, and it is unusable. What are my options here? Could I have the input shaft turned down and use a shaft adapter/ bushing? I would imagine the input shaft is a good 7/8" diameter  so I could have it turned down to 3/4 and use a shaft adapter like this http://tinyurl.com/nwch5lc I know I would have to disassemble the hydro pump, which frightens me, but I really want to get this tractor going so it cant hurt to try. Any other ideas? Would my idea work?

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted November 19, 2014 - 12:08 PM

You could look for a good used input shaft or even a hydro unit. Since you have to tear it down to get the shaft out you might be better off with a used shaft than paying for the machining and the adapter.

#3 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,211 Thanks
  • 5,218 posts

Posted November 19, 2014 - 08:42 PM

You could look for a good used input shaft or even a hydro unit. Since you have to tear it down to get the shaft out you might be better off with a used shaft than paying for the machining and the adapter.

Its not just a simple shaft its called rotor.   Best bet is to get a used pump or have the shaft part of the rotor terned off a hole drilled in the rotor were the saft was then weld a new shaft in and tern it. I have done this befor and I had around $350 into the machining. its cheaper to get a used pump.

Or I may have a good rotor or pump laying around. PM me and I'll look.

• Cat385B said thank you

#4 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,211 Thanks
  • 5,218 posts

Posted November 19, 2014 - 08:48 PM

Here is a idea of what it is.

post-51-0-43091300-1398122399.jpg

• Cat385B said thank you

#5 Deerlope ONLINE  

Deerlope

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 98
  • 393 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted November 20, 2014 - 05:43 AM

For whatever reason the input shaft for the hydro on my Bolens 1886 is severely pitted and rusty, and as a result of this the driveshaft coming from the engine doesn't fit snug on it. This causes the whole tractor to vibrate like mad, and it is unusable. What are my options here? Could I have the input shaft turned down and use a shaft adapter/ bushing? I would imagine the input shaft is a good 7/8" diameter  so I could have it turned down to 3/4 and use a shaft adapter like this http://tinyurl.com/nwch5lc I know I would have to disassemble the hydro pump, which frightens me, but I really want to get this tractor going so it cant hurt to try. Any other ideas? Would my idea work?

They are not hard to take apart. I have done it many times. I had a shaft a lot worse than yours. I took it apart and had to built up with a TIG welder and returned. It now sits behind a 24 HP Honda running a snow thrower in a rebadged 1886 to a 2486.

#6 TokyoDrift99 OFFLINE  

TokyoDrift99
  • Member No: 59603
  • 80 Thanks
  • 112 posts

Posted November 20, 2014 - 07:04 PM

Alright guys thanks for the input, I'll look into getitng a used one from wilberj.