#1 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted November 18, 2014 - 08:49 PM

It's an odd mix, but I will get there.  

People often ask why I will spend almost as much for the original manuals, or sales brochures, as I will for a tractor.  Some sellers are dumbfounded when they find out they tossed out 50% of their potential sale price.  Others want to know why I want yet another tractor or implement when I already have one just like it.  Here are two examples of why:

I have a reel mower that fits on the Waterloo 15s & 20s.   I would like to get it working again, but it is missing some parts, like the deflector shield and the rear rollers. Fortunately, I have a spare mower that has those parts.  Unfortunately, the deflector shield is bent on the trailing edge.  It looks like it should either a) lie flat on the trailing edge but has been bent up in places, or b) curl up but has been bent down in places.  I wasn't sure which.  Fortunately, I have an original manual and it clearly shows the shield with an upward curl on the trailing edge.  Could not have solved that one without both spare parts & the manual.  Yes, I could have remade one from the picture in the manual, but the manual doesn't say how thick it is.  Only the spare could tell me that. 

DSCF8455.JPG DSCF8456.JPG DSCF8457.JPG DSCF8458.JPG DSCF8459.JPG

The second example is the clutch lever on my Waterloo 30.  It has been "fix" by a previous owner.  I know it has been replaced because it doesn't look like the one in my sales brochure, or the one that is on my spare Model 30.  

DSCF8462.JPG DSCF8463.JPG

I had some time today, so I did a little CAD (Cardboard Aided Design) work.  I removed the OEM handle and made a rough cardboard template.  I took that inside & made a proper template.  The rough one gave me the dimensions & angles, the new one also gave me straight lines and smooth curves.  I used that one to mark an outline on some 1/4" sheet that I bought from the scrapyard for 40 cents a pound.  I bought lots because there are more projects in line that require 1/4" plate.  I cut along the lines using my angle grinder and a cut off wheel. The inside curve required some fettling, but it came out better than I expected.  After I drilled the hole for the clutch rod and the hole for the pivot shaft, I bent it using a propane torch & a really big hammer.  I then cut the head off of a bolt & trimmed the thread to make the pivot shaft.  Then it was over to the welder to attach the little stop plate & lock in the pivot shaft.  A little grinding, some rust converter, and it is ready for paint.  

DSCF8464.JPG DSCF8466.JPG DSCF8467.JPG DSCF8468.JPG DSCF8469.JPG DSCF8470.JPG DSCF8471.JPG DSCF8472.JPG DSCF8473.JPG DSCF8474.JPG DSCF8478.JPG DSCF8479.JPG DSCF8476.JPG DSCF8480.JPG DSCF8481.JPG DSCF8482.JPG

It may not be exactly OEM, but it is hard to tell the new from the old.  Could not have done it without the original printed materials, spare parts, and CAD.

• Alc, hamman, boyscout862 and 5 others have said thanks

#2 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 52459
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted November 18, 2014 - 08:57 PM

It's an odd mix, but I will get there.  

People often ask why I will spend almost as much for the original manuals, or sales brochures, as I will for a tractor.  Some sellers are dumbfounded when they find out they tossed out 50% of their potential sale price.  Others want to know why I want yet another tractor or implement when I already have one just like it.  Here are two examples of why:

I have a reel mower that fits on the Waterloo 15s & 20s.   I would like to get it working again, but it is missing some parts, like the deflector shield and the rear rollers. Fortunately, I have a spare mower that has those parts.  Unfortunately, the deflector shield is bent on the trailing edge.  It looks like it should either a) lie flat on the trailing edge but has been bent up in places, or b) curl up but has been bent down in places.  I wasn't sure which.  Fortunately, I have an original manual and it clearly shows the shield with an upward curl on the trailing edge.  Could not have solved that one without both spare parts & the manual.  Yes, I could have remade one from the picture in the manual, but the manual doesn't say how thick it is.  Only the spare could tell me that. 

attachicon.gifDSCF8455.JPGattachicon.gifDSCF8456.JPGattachicon.gifDSCF8457.JPGattachicon.gifDSCF8458.JPGattachicon.gifDSCF8459.JPG

The second example is the clutch lever on my Waterloo 30.  It has been "fix" by a previous owner.  I know it has been replaced because it doesn't look like the one in my sales brochure, or the one that is on my spare Model 30.  

attachicon.gifDSCF8462.JPGattachicon.gifDSCF8463.JPG

I had some time today, so I did a little CAD (Cardboard Aided Design) work.  I removed the OEM handle and made a rough cardboard template.  I took that inside & made a proper template.  The rough one gave me the dimensions & angles, the new one also gave me straight lines and smooth curves.  I used that one to mark an outline on some 1/4" sheet that I bought from the scrapyard for 40 cents a pound.  I bought lots because there are more projects in line that require 1/4" plate.  I cut along the lines using my angle grinder and a cut off wheel. The inside curve required some fettling, but it came out better than I expected.  After I drilled the hole for the clutch rod and the hole for the pivot shaft, I bent it using a propane torch & a really big hammer.  I then cut the head off of a bolt & trimmed the thread to make the pivot shaft.  Then it was over to the welder to attach the little stop plate & lock in the pivot shaft.  A little grinding, some rust converter, and it is ready for paint.  

attachicon.gifDSCF8464.JPGattachicon.gifDSCF8466.JPGattachicon.gifDSCF8467.JPGattachicon.gifDSCF8468.JPGattachicon.gifDSCF8469.JPGattachicon.gifDSCF8470.JPGattachicon.gifDSCF8471.JPGattachicon.gifDSCF8472.JPGattachicon.gifDSCF8473.JPGattachicon.gifDSCF8474.JPGattachicon.gifDSCF8478.JPGattachicon.gifDSCF8479.JPGattachicon.gifDSCF8476.JPGattachicon.gifDSCF8480.JPGattachicon.gifDSCF8481.JPGattachicon.gifDSCF8482.JPG

It may not be exactly OEM, but it is hard to tell the new from the old.  Could not have done it without the original printed materials, spare parts, and CAD.

Nice work!

• boyscout862 and New.Canadian.DB.Owner have said thanks

#3 Jazz OFFLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 950 posts

Posted November 18, 2014 - 09:28 PM

I was shocked when I picked up my Sears ss/16 and when I asked the the young lady for a receipt  she also handed me the original owners manual for the tractor as well as the mower and snowblower attachments. I would never have thought to ask for manuals. The fact they had the originals speaks volumes about the previous owner. 

• Alc, boyscout862 and New.Canadian.DB.Owner have said thanks

#4 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted November 18, 2014 - 11:46 PM

I like your CAD.  I think we all should invest in that. 

Ben W.

#5 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted November 19, 2014 - 06:23 AM

I like your CAD.  I think we all should invest in that. 

I also use CAD at home but never get anything looking as nice as these parts !!!!!  Great job !!!

#6 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,482 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted November 19, 2014 - 06:48 AM

At least your CAD program is free! Like it! :thumbs:

• Alc, boyscout862 and New.Canadian.DB.Owner have said thanks

#7 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted November 19, 2014 - 07:24 AM

Thirty years ago I worked in an office that printed thousands of drawings per year. With every 100 sheets of paper came two 24" x 36" pieces of solid cardboard. I brought home about a hunderd of them to use for templates when making autobody pieces. The trick is to label and save them. I have a library of templates for 56 Chevy truck and 73 Chevy truck parts. Since we moved, I can't find the stack of cardboard.

Very nice work and pics. Good Luck, Rick

• Alc and New.Canadian.DB.Owner have said thanks

#8 Bmerf ONLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted November 19, 2014 - 10:45 AM

Nice work! :thumbs:  I have used CAD for years without knowing it.

I agree with collecting manuals, they are nice to have as a reference. Almost nothing I buy comes with the original manual. I have spent many nights scouring the internet looking for manuals to newly acquired equipment. I even have manuals for equipment I don't own, because my exact manual has not been found (yet).

Once procured and placed on a thumb drive, I usually print a copy or just the pages that I need. I am old school and like a piece of paper in my hands. Take them out to the garage, get them all greasy, who cares? Print a new one. The originals that I have get put up so as not to ruin them. 

• Alc and New.Canadian.DB.Owner have said thanks

#9 Kmac1 ONLINE  

Kmac1
  • Member No: 62275
  • 521 Thanks
  • 221 posts

Posted November 19, 2014 - 11:45 AM

Really good job you did on the handle like the CAD idea.
  • New.Canadian.DB.Owner said thank you