Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Magnetic Heaters, Anyone Use Them?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted November 18, 2014 - 02:07 PM

After last winter, I wanted to make sure I got some sort of heater for the Massey for cold weather starts.  It started pretty well last year even when it was below 0 but I would feel better with some pre-heat on it to make the cold weather start a little easier.  I bought a magnetic heater for this winter.  There isn't much room to stick this thing on the block so I guess it will go on the oil pan.  I just talked to a guy over the weekend who basically has the same tractor and he said the heater works great on the oil pan.  Ok, that's settled.  My question is, to anyone who uses these magnetic heaters, do you leave them plugged in 24 hours a day?  Can you?  A friend of mine says he leaves his heater plugged in 24-7 but I don't know if his is the same type of heater.  The one I have supposedly has a thermostat.  I'm not so much worried about fire as I am about the heater itself.  Maybe it would see an early grave by keeping it plugged in.  So, does anyone leave their heater on 24-7?

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,626 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted November 18, 2014 - 02:45 PM

Used to have one of those, and yes, they are safe 24/7 and really only work good when used on the oil pan in my opinion.  But if you know when you're planning to use the tractor, you can plug it in 12 hours ahead & all will be warmed well by then.  

• HDWildBill, David Brown, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#3 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted November 18, 2014 - 03:10 PM

Used to have one of those, and yes, they are safe 24/7 and really only work good when used on the oil pan in my opinion.  But if you know when you're planning to use the tractor, you can plug it in 12 hours ahead & all will be warmed well by then.  

Well that's just it, I don't always know that far in advance.  I think I'll just plug the thing and maybe go out later this evening or tomorrow morning and see what happens.  Thanks.

#4 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,769 Thanks
  • 7,536 posts

Posted November 18, 2014 - 03:23 PM

I've been using one for 25 years. I works great but there is alot that you can do to help it. I use an old comforter over the engine and a tarp over the entire tractor. These keep the heat in. Good Luck, Rick

• olcowhand, Alc, IamSherwood and 1 other said thanks

#5 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,660 Thanks
  • 6,474 posts

Posted November 18, 2014 - 04:23 PM

I have a couple of those and have never had much luck say on the block or cast sides of my big tractors. If you have lighter tin pan, it seems to work for spinning it easier at least. All day long? Not sure. I just put mine on and left overnight and worked in AM then. I'ld have to look and see if a thermostat on them or not, don't really know. I thought they had additives or diff diesel fuels for winter use that ignite easier? 

• David Brown said thank you

#6 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,480 Thanks
  • 5,013 posts

Posted November 18, 2014 - 06:49 PM

The best thing I've found is a small torpedo heater. Say 50,000 btu's. I place it in front of or behind the tractor for 15 to 20 minutes and it starts like summer. The older Kohler twin cylinder engines with the starter underneath were notorious for freezing up. The heater would thaw the the starter at the same time.

318TPGYy02L.jpg

Edited by Cvans, November 18, 2014 - 06:50 PM.

• IamSherwood, HDWildBill and David Brown have said thanks

#7 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted November 18, 2014 - 08:06 PM

The best thing I've found is a small torpedo heater. Say 50,000 btu's. I place it in front of or behind the tractor for 15 to 20 minutes and it starts like summer. The older Kohler twin cylinder engines with the starter underneath were notorious for freezing up. The heater would thaw the the starter at the same time.

318TPGYy02L.jpg

Last winter I put a small heater under the tractor to warm things up.  It worked pretty well but it also ended up causing one problem.  The throttle cable is routed down under the tractor along the frame and crosses right where the wind from the hydro fan blows.  Needless to say, when its below zero it gets COLD down there.  What the heat did was caused a small amount of condensation in the throttle cable which promptly froze solid within the first 15 minutes of plowing.  I was either stuck on idle or 2000 RPM until I put the heat on it again.  Don't want to repeat that.

• IamSherwood and boyscout862 have said thanks

#8 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,480 Thanks
  • 5,013 posts

Posted November 19, 2014 - 10:49 AM

the throttle cable which promptly froze solid within the first 15 minutes of plowing.

That's a bummer and a problem I hadn't run into. Can you reroute the throttle cable? 

#9 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted November 19, 2014 - 11:44 AM

That's a bummer and a problem I hadn't run into. Can you reroute the throttle cable? 

No, I can't reroute the cable that I can see but I doubt I will have to.  As long as I don't put heat under the tractor like that, I should be fine.  I quit doing it last winter and it was fine.  No plans on starting this year.  What I did do was to take a length of rubber 1/4" fuel line and I put it over the cable in that spot, just to keep more of the cold air off.  Had I never used that heater, I don't think this would have ever been a problem.  I guess we'll see in the next month or so.

• Cvans said thank you

#10 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,450 Thanks
  • 6,616 posts

Posted November 19, 2014 - 12:04 PM

If your heater doesn't have a thermostat you might want to try one of theses , pretty cheap too

http://www.homedepot...#specifications

• Cvans and David Brown have said thanks

#11 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted November 19, 2014 - 12:37 PM

If your heater doesn't have a thermostat you might want to try one of theses , pretty cheap too

http://www.homedepot...#specifications

Yeah, it supposedly has a thermostat but thanks, I didn't know there was such a thing.  It's been very cold here and I just went out to check and see what the oil pan feels like.  It's nice and warm to the touch but not so warm it burns so I guess it's doing what it was designed to do.  I will try starting the tractor later today to see how this all works.

• Alc, HowardsMF155 and Cvans have said thanks

#12 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted November 19, 2014 - 09:44 PM

So how did it work?  and Pictures Man!

#13 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted November 19, 2014 - 09:59 PM

So how did it work?  and Pictures Man!

It went pretty well.  I am glad I am leaving it plugged in though as I'm not sure how well it would do with just an hour or so to work.

#14 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,660 Thanks
  • 6,474 posts

Posted November 20, 2014 - 09:38 AM

Saw mine today looking around garage. They are KATZ brand. Have two now as I couldn't find mine once and bought another, and finding the original next couple days after of course! :D

• olcowhand said thank you

#15 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,409 Thanks
  • 3,159 posts

Posted November 21, 2014 - 04:54 AM

Well I use one on my Kubota powered LGT and just this Mondayrreceived the second one in a 4 year span! They don't last forever but it sure does a great job of keeping the oil warm. I have mine stuck to the side of the oil pan and it runs 24/7 from Nov. To April. With these little diesels with glow plugs I have found that warm air at the air cleaner inlet also helps with -30° starts.
This year I have a brand new 800cca battery, new fuel pump and filters and it has been starting better than any of my kohler powered units. Only thing that starts better is my 1958 Ford 1841 industrial!!!!! NOTHING STARTS LIKE THAT TRACTOR IN THE COLD!! We have had only 1 diesel engine that would start like my Ford , and it was a NewHolland 675E backhoe!! That engine was unreal , powerful, good on fuel, and started every time, and instantly ! I have never seen anything like it. And it didnt have any kind of block heater either.

The magnetic unit i use is the Katts 200 watt unit. Amazon has them for $29 .
  • IamSherwood and David Brown have said thanks