• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 j p smith OFFLINE  

j p smith
  • Member No: 54240
  • 18 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted November 18, 2014 - 08:31 AM

I have an older Troy bilt roto tiller and I let someone borrow it and run it out of oil. Engine is locked up tight! I need to find an engine but the engine(5hp briggs) is no longer available. Anyone found another model that will work?  Thanks

#2 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,807 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted November 18, 2014 - 08:43 AM

I think that most of the usual 5hp engines will fit as long as they have the same bolt pattern on the pto side bearing plate. I've had Troybilts with B&S, Kohler, and Tecumseh engines. You have learned why I don't loan good tools. You should be able to find a good replacement engine for $100 or less. Maybe the HF $100 engine, I think its 6.5 hp. Good Luck, Rick

• j p smith said thank you

#3 Gtractor OFFLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,634 Thanks
  • 3,923 posts

Posted November 18, 2014 - 08:57 AM

When I was a youngin' I ran my minibike out of oil to the point it locked up.  It also had a 5 horse Briggs. 

After a liberal bath of oil through the spark plug hole it losened up and ran perfect. 

I also did the exact same thing with a Briggs powered push mower with the same success.

Those engines were both made back in the '60s.  Not likely it would work with the cheaper-made newer stuff.

• superaben and j p smith have said thanks

#4 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,504 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted November 18, 2014 - 09:09 AM

There are a lot of people doing the 6.5 predator engines from Harbor Freight on the older horses. I think you have to use a metric center bolt for the pulleys and maybe mounting bolts, but they are a direct bolt on. Not sure it they fit the ponies or Jrs

#5 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted November 18, 2014 - 09:21 AM

When I was a youngin' I ran my minibike out of oil to the point it locked up.  It also had a 5 horse Briggs. 

After a liberal bath of oil through the spark plug hole it losened up and ran perfect. 

I also did the exact same thing with a Briggs powered push mower with the same success.

Those engines were both made back in the '60s.  Not likely it would work with the cheaper-made newer stuff.

:ditto:

Sometimes they can be revived, never give up on a old engine there's a reason why many are still running today!

• Gtractor and j p smith have said thanks

#6 j p smith OFFLINE  

j p smith
  • 18 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted November 18, 2014 - 10:25 AM

Thanks guys. I will start with getting the engine apart and see how bad things are. I was told there is no direct replacement engine. I have not looked but I was told there is no place to bolt up the reverse/idler assembly on the drive side of the engine. That is the difference, I was hoping someone had run into this before and found a engine that would work. Thanks

#7 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,504 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted November 18, 2014 - 10:27 AM

What model of tiller do you have?

#8 j p smith OFFLINE  

j p smith
  • 18 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted November 18, 2014 - 11:10 AM

I am guessing but maybe mid 80's, I will check this evening. Where would you find a model number?

#9 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,807 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted November 18, 2014 - 11:28 AM

Post some pics. They are worth thousands of words. Good Luck, Rick

#10 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,504 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted November 18, 2014 - 12:06 PM

I am guessing but maybe mid 80's, I will check this evening. Where would you find a model number?

if it's a Horse model, stand behind tiller, right side of trans right above axle there is a flat pad, right next to where handle bars attach.  There will be #'s stamped there. If it's a smaller tiller, then I have no idea.

since you are sayin 80' and a 5Hp, sure sounds like a Jr or Pony model and not a horse. 

#11 TimW OFFLINE  

TimW
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10778
  • 367 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted November 18, 2014 - 12:56 PM

After playing with these on and off, if it is a 5hp, it might be the "Pony" model.  If so, it may have two output shafts on the engine, the smaller one is a reverse rotation to allow it to back up.  That may be a hard engine to find.  Any 5hp'ish motor with the correct shaft size may work, but it may not reverse itself.  If it is the "Horse" or larger model, the Harbor Freight engine works great and bolts right on, other than maybe the crank bolt threads like mentioned above.  The "Pony" is about half the weight of the "Horse".  If you and a buddy can pick it up with ease, it's probably the smaller one.  As always,  some or all of what I say may be incorrect.

• superaben and j p smith have said thanks

#12 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted November 18, 2014 - 04:15 PM

One source of those 2 shaft engines is older snowblowers. You can often get them cheap. The second shaft is the cam shaft which rotates opposite to the crank and 1/2 the speed. Perfect for a reverse belt drive. I have a Troy Bilt Jr. with a 3.5 HP Tec. with dual shafts. I picked up a small Ariens snowblower for 20$ with a 4hp dual shaft engine. It's my spare if I ever need it. I'm sure there are some 5hp versions out there. 

#13 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted November 18, 2014 - 09:10 PM

Post your engine model number and let me try to cross it.  You never know what can come up, the engine is probably NLA, but there might a replacement.  We can only hope!

Ben W.

#14 j p smith OFFLINE  

j p smith
  • 18 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted November 19, 2014 - 10:54 AM

Thanks Ben. I did not get to look at the tiller last night, neighbors horse passed and needed to dig a big hole.   

But do have the numbers.

5HP

#15 earthgrinder OFFLINE  

earthgrinder

• Contributor
  • Member No: 450
  • 862 Thanks
  • 373 posts

Posted November 19, 2014 - 07:15 PM

Some front tine rototillers used that engine as well.  I bought a spare for my Pony at a lawn mower salvage yard.  From time to time they appear on ebay for sale.