63 replies to this topic

#61 secondtry ONLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 1,349 Thanks
  • 1,088 posts

Posted August 17, 2017 - 10:56 AM

Not quite "In Action" but running and that's a start:

It came with cutivator, harrow, and plow.

Really glad to have this one.

Cheers, Greg

Do you know if that engine was built in house or a big name manufacturer. Don

#62 salty OFFLINE  

salty

• Member No: 4266
  • 38 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted August 17, 2017 - 02:04 PM

Do you know if that engine was built in house or a big name manufacturer. Don

I'm embarrassed to say how little I do know about this machine. And I've been searching. Even things like bore, stroke, hp...  Information is very hard to come by.

This one has cast lettering that says "Vaughan Motor Co Portland Oregon" on the left side crankcase cover.

I have read somewhere that the company produced their own engines even casting their own steel parts in an in-house foundry. It certainly seems Wisconsin-like in looks.

• Alc and secondtry have said thanks

#63 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 6,719 Thanks
  • 4,882 posts

Posted August 18, 2017 - 06:35 AM

Vaughan did build a lot of their own engines. The water cooled tractors and log saws were built in house. They also built special engines for other applications. The S, W, and WS aircooleds have always had a lot of speculation involved but no written proof. The engine shares a lot of similarity to the AH Wisconsin and some parts will interchange. The crankcase had to be a Vaughan only option for the direct bolt up to the clutch case. The oil pans are also different but the bolt patterns are the same. The head will fit either engine but the spark plug threads are different. The valve train will interchange but you have to use both pieces, the valve and lifter together. The length of each piece is different but the overall distance is the same. The bore is bigger in the Vaughan. The shrouds will interchange but the lower mounting is different. The flywheels are the only thing identical. Vaughans before serial number 9000 vent the crankcase through the front of the crank. After 9000 they used an external breather mounted by the mag drive. The crank has to be Vaughan specific because of the spline going into the clutch. The flywheels are about the only thing I can think of that doesn't have some minor difference. Our hope is that someday the missing link that ties this all together will turn up.

• Gtractor, Alc, salty and 1 other said thanks

#64 salty OFFLINE  

salty

• Member No: 4266
  • 38 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted September 14, 2017 - 10:11 PM

Graveley 5665.  More than just a mower...